You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve McManaman

WrongIslander

No way did he carry the team. In terms of attacking talent the 90's teams were superior. They lacked decent defenders and a midfield hard man. I would compare them to Arsenal in a way. Fowler, Collymore, Berger and Redknapp were all class players.

He was a tier below players like Giggs and well below Barnes.

The difference is that his final ball was weak and he was not a finisher. Like a better and quicker Hleb.

That's bollocks. He was far and away our best attacking player. He loaded the bullets for Fowler. Other managers used to have him man marked, that's how effective he was. Collymore was only at Liverpool for two years, and Berger was only moderately effective for us. I think you're grossly underestimating how important McManaman was to Liverpool.

He wasn't as good as Giggs or Barnes in their prime, but he was much more important to his team than either of those two players.

Only thing Giggs has over him is longevity as he's still playing whilst Macca is getting rich somewhere else. Shame thqat. Ferguson could afford to give Giggs a rest now and then whereas we would never have done that with Macca.

That's not strictly true is it.

Giggs has more medals

Giggs scored more goals

Giggs was not the sole creative source of his entire side

Giggs has more body hair.

That's bollocks. He was far and away our best attacking player. He loaded the bullets for Fowler. Other managers used to have him man marked, that's how effective he was. Collymore was only at Liverpool for two years, and Berger was only moderately effective for us. I think you're grossly underestimating how important McManaman was to Liverpool.

He wasn't as good as Giggs or Barnes in their prime, but he was much more important to his team than either of those two players.

He was an important player for us but to say he carried the team is just not true. Don't agree with the Giggs or Barnes comment either. Barnes created a very large percentage of goals in his first few seasons.

"Stop McManaman, Stop Liverpool" was the mantra of many an opossing manager in the 90's

2nd tier player? name one Liverpool player in the last 20 years to leave and have greater success, than they had whilst at the club?

2nd tier compared to Giggs and Barnes? Yes, I stand by that. A great player but not in their class. Barnes was a natural finisher and a superb crosser of the ball. Barnes was also much stronger on the ball. No disrespect to Mcmanaman, as I said great player, but not at that level.

He was an important player for us but to say he carried the team is just not true. Don't agree with the Giggs or Barnes comment either. Barnes created a very large percentage of goals in his first few seasons.

Eh? I said that he WASN'T as good as Giggs or Barnes.

I used to go and watch Liverpool a lot in the mid to late 90's and McManaman was the most important player in that side. If he played badly, the whole team did.

That's not strictly true is it.

Giggs has more medals

Giggs scored more goals

Giggs was not the sole creative source of his entire side

Giggs has more body hair.

Yeah but he played longer and had less injuries which is why I said his longevity is what sets him apart from macca, talent wise though they were comparable, had Macca been at Real his whole career, had he been rested at times when he was young and looked after a bit better and also had a bit more luck with injuries then I think he would have possibly matched Giggs and perhaps even in the Spanish sun gone on to grow some body hair but alas!

If Giggs had come through at Everton then do you think he would have won so many medals there? Let's not be silly.

Guest the boy

It has nothing to do with his talents; those who think it does are missing the point. We've had in many regards far less talented sides accomplish far more since that that which McManaman was a part of. The downfall of the side of the 90s was little to do with talent. He was a good player; by measure of talent in the top 40 to have played for us. His influence about the club, combined with others players at the time, and his manner of departure was wretched. McManaman didn't achieve an inch of the accomplishments that far lesser players have at this club. Jerzy Dudek's is a more positive legacy.

Oh and he was fucked over, the club wanted to sell, he didn't want to go so the club offered a contract on less than he was being paid at the time. if that wasn't a message of we don't want you I don't know what is.

What proof do you have that the club offered him a contract worth less than that which he was on the time? Are you suggesting that the club deliberately forced an asset worth the equivalent of £30 million today out of the door for free? Are you conveniently forgetting the rumblings McManaman was making even before the Barca stories? McManaman didn't want to go to Spain so much in 97 that he left a year later! And what of the Juve bid? McManaman took the club on an absolute ride.

A cynical and scheming player of the highest degree: like fuck was he ever done over by the club.

Macca was a great player for us. If he had been at Man Utd he would have got the medals Giggs got. If Giggs had been here he would have done about what Macca did.

Giggs had the good fortune of playing in a team that was coming together with many good players. Macca played in a team that didn't have that depth of talent, and so it went in fits and starts. Sublime one minute, frustrating the next. And of course that doesn't win titles, as it isn't consistent enough.

For me, when both were at their peak, I would say Giggs slightly shades it. And then Giggs moves even further ahead due to his longevity and ability to contribute in a different position centrally in later years.

Man Utd fans would have Giggs streets ahead, and since he is their idol that should be no surprise. But Liverpool fans should try their best to be objective about this one too. And much as Macca was a great player (and finally got his hands on old big ears at Real Madrid) I think the fairest conclusion is to say Giggs was even better.

Guest the boy
Giggs had the good fortune of playing in a team that was coming together with many good players. Macca played in a team that didn't have that depth of talent, and so it went in fits and starts. Sublime one minute, frustrating the next. And of course that doesn't win titles, as it isn't consistent enough.

It was not the gulf in talent that divided the two sides.

It was not the gulf in talent that divided the two sides.

The biggest gulf, much as I hate to say it, was in managers. In Fergusen they got one of those managers that comes along not even once in a generation.

The second biggest gulf was in their commercial acumen. They exploited the new riches coming into the game far better than we did.

The third biggest gulf was in stadium capacity (tied to the commercial acumen point above). They kept expanding and building it up, due to their good fortune of having plenty of space to expand into, since they are well out of Manchester and into the nether regions of Salford or somewhere. We were landlocked and couldn't expance the stadium and we didn't have the foresight to build a new one quick enough.

And then fourthly, there was a gulf in the depth of talent each squad possessed. Our first teamers were as good as theirs any day. And early in Fergie's reign we had the better squad. But as the years elapsed they passed us by, due in no small part to all the factors listed above.

But anyway, I agree with you that there was no great gulf in talent between the two sides, especially during the heydays of Giggs and Macca. But all the other factors made a big difference.

Macca was a great player for us. If he had been at Man Utd he would have got the medals Giggs got. If Giggs had been here he would have done about what Macca did.

For me, when both were at their peak, I would say Giggs slightly shades it. And then Giggs moves even further ahead due to his longevity and ability to contribute in a different position centrally in later years.

Man Utd fans would have Giggs streets ahead, and since he is their idol that should be no surprise. But Liverpool fans should try their best to be objective about this one too. And much as Macca was a great player (and finally got his hands on old big ears at Real Madrid) I think the fairest conclusion is to say Giggs was even better.

I'd just like to add if I may, neither of them fit to knit Barnes jumper. Giggs may have a whole lot of medals but just you try asking him to rhyme bananas with something. Just you try.

It has nothing to do with his talents; those who think it does are missing the point. We've had in many regards far less talented sides accomplish far more since that that which McManaman was a part of. The downfall of the side of the 90s was little to do with talent. He was a good player; by measure of talent in the top 40 to have played for us. His influence about the club, combined with others players at the time, and his manner of departure was wretched. McManaman didn't achieve an inch of the accomplishments that far lesser players have at this club. Jerzy Dudek's is a more positive legacy.

What proof do you have that the club offered him a contract worth less than that which he was on the time? Are you suggesting that the club deliberately forced an asset worth the equivalent of £30 million today out of the door for free? Are you conveniently forgetting the rumblings McManaman was making even before the Barca stories? McManaman didn't want to go to Spain so much in 97 that he left a year later! And what of the Juve bid? McManaman took the club on an absolute ride.

A cynical and scheming player of the highest degree: like fuck was he ever done over by the club.

Wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last. are you suggesting that no football club decides when to cash in on assets sometimes against the assets wishes. happens all the time as for proof it's all in Fowler's book

Now you feel free to tell me Fowler is a liar and that he was sticking up for his mate but at the end of the day I know who i believe! I mean it's not like Liverpool Football Club have never fucked anyone over is it.

You clearly have your opinion on macca but the fact remains he was a very important player at that time.

• 9 years later...
Just now, Pidge said:

Think this may, like my Del Piero opinion, be slightly biased by nostalgia...

Not sure. I think he was world class at his peak. He need to play with better players. Him and Fowler often played with utter turd. Both would flourish in some of our best sides of the last 15 years.