You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Is England '86

Faustus

Is that Pakistani fella that was having it off with Shauns mum the fella that owned the corner shop in the film? The one that Combo and Shaun robbed?

Yep I believe so, think he's Indian though.

Been enjoying it so far - for my sins I hadn't even seen the original film until just over a week ago!

I'm enjoying it so far although i have to say i expected better. Heavy going in last nights one, Lol is an excellent actress, really strong performance but i just don't think the lad playing Milky is good enough and he's starting to do my head in.

Agree with that bit, also the girl who plays Smell is a dreadful actress. The bad performers stick out like sore thumbs against performances like Woody's, Lol's, Chrissy's etc. Woody especially I think is brilliant and has some great lines. "Have you seen how far I can lunge in these?"

im kinda undecided on this series as of yet

i enjoyed the film and all, and have watched the first 2 episodes,

but last nights one inparticular kinda annoyed me

some people may call it "gritty" or "dark"

but last nights episode had way too much bad shit happening in it

Lols father is home, he's a Paedo

Woodys job is shit, and his relationship is suffering from it

his missus is fucking his best mate

the weirdo that had a hearty last week has a love child but doesnt know about it

Shauns mam is fucking his boss

and one of the 2 lads, his old man beats him up!

can you see where im coming from, its an awful lot of negative shit to fit into a 1 hour episode, basically nothing good happens to any of the characters.

i personally think the writers went a bit crazy with their bic biros while making this one up

im not saying i want some "And they all lived happily ever after" ending,

but even some general entertainment wouldnt go a miss

the weirdo that had a hearty last week has a love child but doesnt know about it

can you see where im coming from, its an awful lot of negative shit to fit into a 1 hour episode, basically nothing good happens to any of the characters.

i personally think the writers went a bit crazy with their bic biros while making this one up

yes, agreed still gripping stuff though, where is it filmed? its depressing that some of the estates they film on still exist

The fun only happens when they're all together in a group like you see during the party and the shit only hits the fan when they're split up and have to deal with their own lives.

The fun only happens when they're all together in a group like you see during the party and the shit only hits the fan when they're split up and have to deal with their own lives.

Even the film started off bright and relatively happy before descending into a shit storm of racism and violence this one has gone the same way with a relatively light first episode setting up what happens when they go back to their lives

Balls was supposed to edit previous post not quote it.

It's set in Northern Britain at the height of Thatcher's reign of terror, they were grim times for most people in this part of the world.

Thought it was just ok, too depressing really. Lad getting beat by his mother's latest boyfriend, child abuse etc. Also doesn't make a lot of sense, Woody's a manager but he can only get the worst flat in history and he can't even afford a proper US army parka. No mod in 1986 would wear that coat he wears. Hopefully will get better when Combo gets back.

Where's it set? There's a mixture of accents.

I don't think it's 'set' anywhere specific, a bit like Dead Man's Shoes wasn't. I think it's a generic northern town near the coast. I was told it was filmed in Sheffield but on further investigation it turns out to be Nottingham. I've read the claims that some parts are filmed around Grimsby. I lived in Grimsby for a few years and there's a scene near the start of ep1 which I thought was Grimsby docks so there may be some truth in that.

Thought it was just ok, too depressing really. Lad getting beat by his mother's latest boyfriend, child abuse etc. Also doesn't make a lot of sense, Woody's a manager but he can only get the worst flat in history and he can't even afford a proper US army parka. No mod in 1986 would wear that coat he wears. Hopefully will get better when Combo gets back.

From the exchange between him and his boss I doubt if he's a well paid manager. He's being used to do the boss' dirty work and probably earns very little. Just forming a premise, like.

From the exchange between him and his boss I doubt if he's a well paid manager. He's being used to do the boss' dirty work and probably earns very little. Just forming a premise, like.

Could be, but considering the unemployment etc in the North, you'd expect him to be a wee bit better off than what's implied. Doesn't matter anyway as my wife just pointed out that he tell's Lol he took the flat cause he needed it quick or something. Still doesn't explain why he'd wear that coat.

I don't think it's 'set' anywhere specific, a bit like Dead Man's Shoes wasn't. I think it's a generic northern town near the coast. I was told it was filmed in Sheffield but on further investigation it turns out to be Nottingham. I've read the claims that some parts are filmed around Grimsby. I lived in Grimsby for a few years and there's a scene near the start of ep1 which I thought was Grimsby docks so there may be some truth in that.

Most of it was filmed in the Gleadless Valley area of Sheffield,with a few other locations in the city used aswell.