You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Is England '86

Faustus

I take it I'm the only one that doesn't get entertained by watching some cunt trying to rape his daughter then???

I see where the show is coming from, great acting and directing all round

But i personally didn't enjoy watching that, not for me I have to admit

Then you stick to comedies and not Shane Meadows work. ;)

Knew right from the start this is was how it was going to pan out. Fucking spoilers.

Someone on this thread called it exactly as well.

I take it I'm the only one that doesn't get entertained by watching some cunt trying to rape his daughter then???

I see where the show is coming from, great acting and directing all round

But i personally didn't enjoy watching that, not for me I have to admit

I don't think entertained is the right word as it was tonight & last week hard to watch but great tv like tonight does'nt always have to be entertaining to be great tv.

Very disappointing. Totally waters down the power of the film for me, and by going for 'easy' shock value with the rape scenes when the rest of it was like a bad episode of Shameless (x 4) makes the whole thing even worse. Stick to films Meadows.

This Is England is a modern classic - hell it's a stone cold classic of any era - but this series was poor. Wish I could unwatch the damn thing (except the rapes).

Something is good so i'll jump on the it was shit band wagon.

I didn't say it was shit, I said I thought it was very disappointing.

Shane Meadows is an amazing film-maker and This Is England is a masterpiece I think but there is a huge drop in quality from the film to this. I like to think producer interference led to the more 'Skins'/'Shameless'/cheeseypianomontage excesses of the first couple of episodes. Also the "just improvise, yeah?" method which worked a treat in the film exposed some poor actors this time around imo.

Even if there was a shit bandwagon I wouldn't be jumping on it because at least Meadows is telling stories and including messages about working class Britain which wouldn't be up for discussion otherwise.

I'll re-phrase my criticism: very disappointing work from an extremely important storyteller.

I'm just watching Black Death starring Sean Bean. At first I thought I recognised one of the other actors as Eddie Marsan but it's actually Johnny Harris - Mick from TIE. He plays a nasty fucker in this too. Cracking film as well.

Good show then? I've had that downloaded for weeks, may give a try soon.

Was hoping to see more of Combo.

But it was powerful television, the way Shaun hugged Combo whilst he was wearing his Dad's clothes just showed how much Shaun needs a father figure.

The rape scene was just too much for me, I felt sick watching it. The actor who played Lol's Dad really made me feel sick to my stomach.

I think this was Combo's redemption though. The next season IMO will see him when he has been released.