You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Young Manager

Thants

I was discussing this with a mate today. Is there anyone in the lower leagues to take a punt on. I know the punt would be massive (not least because there'd be a huge credibility issue with the players, never mind the fans), but I wonder if there's a raw talent out there who could come straight in. Failing that, could a very recently retired player do it?

That such questions are even being hypothetically entertained is pretty damning isn't it?

Damn shame that is.

Here's a list of the top performing managers according to the League Managers Association (LMA). It's very up to date. It's nice to see Chris Hughton doing well. I think Newcastle should have stuck with him instead of asking Shearer to relegate them, he should bring them straight back up which I doubt would have happened under Shearer (but I digress).

Link is here, friends:

League Managers Association

The LMA Managers' Performance table was devised to allow managers from every level of League football to test themselves against one another.

Every competitive game counts towards a manager's individual score in the League. Points are awarded for victories and draws, with results away from home scoring higher.

Points for clean sheets and goals-scored accumulate throughout the season, whilst a team's winning margin also counts towards the total.

This table is for the 3rd Quarter in season 2009 - 2010 up to 05/03/2010.

Pos Div Manager Club P W D GS CS WM KOM PTS TT

scores

1 C Brian McDermott Reading 6 44 0 12 1 9 17 83 138

2 P Carlo Ancelotti Chelsea 9 42 0 17 3 12 39 113 126

3 1 Paul Lambert Norwich City 10 90 0 18 4 13 0 125 125

4 2 Keith Hill Rochdale 8 54 11 16 4 12 0 97 121

5 2 Ian Sampson Northampton Town 10 80 5 17 6 13 0 121 121

6 P Sir Alex Ferguson CBE Manchester United 10 40 12 18 4 15 28 117 117

7 1 Danny Wilson Swindon Town 10 62 17 20 4 13 0 116 116

8 C Chris Hughton Newcastle United 10 52 11 19 2 13 16 113 113

9 2 Paul Simpson Shrewsbury Town 9 64 12 12 4 8 0 100 111

10 1 Alan Pardew Southampton 11 32 24 15 3 11 37 122 111

11 P Arsene Wenger OBE Arsenal 10 54 11 14 4 9 15 107 107

12 1 Kenny Jackett Millwall 9 64 5 11 4 8 2 94 104

13 2 Alan Knill Bury 10 64 17 10 5 6 0 102 102

14 P Tony Pulis Stoke City 10 32 16 12 1 5 32 98 98

15 C Paulo Sousa Swansea City 10 54 22 9 6 6 1 98 98

16 P Harry Redknapp Tottenham Hotspur 9 32 10 7 4 6 28 87 97

17 P Martin O'Neill Aston Villa 10 10 21 6 3 3 53 96 96

18 C Kevin Blackwell Sheffield United 9 40 5 12 3 7 16 83 92

19 C Roberto Di Matteo West Brom 11 32 18 12 2 5 31 100 91

20 C Nigel Pearson Leicester City 11 44 17 13 3 9 14 100 91

Is it just me that thinks that table has been rigged so as to ensure as many "top managers" (according to the table) are English/British? Or am just being paranoid??

Not seen much of either QPR or Swansea but one name I`d like to put forward is P.Sousa if we are talking about young managers.

He has done it all as a player and his game was build on game game intelligence much like with Guardiola, this is the exact type of players that most likely will succeed as managers.

Another one with the same background from CM as a player who has won everything and even has done pretty good in the few jobs he has had as a manager is Didier Deschamps.

From our own club I`d think it would be interesting to see how Jamie Redknapp would do it.

But thinking a little bit outside the box apart from the obvious names among those over the age of 45 I`d like to put forward Genoa coach Gian Piero Gasperini, brought through in the Juve system both as a player and a coach and have been successful whereever he has been doing it playing great football, he is 52 years old though.

Good answer.

I don't agree with you but at least you're keeping to the OP!

I'm no fan of his, but.....

I think we need someone to restore conidence in the players, someone who will massage ego's and make some of them realise just how bloody lucky they are to be playing for us.

In no way shape or form could he be described an up and coming manager, but not sure if there is a better man manager than him around at the minute.

Sadly his current club, seems to be everything that we aren't anymore, ambitious and financially stable.

But Harry Redknapp, with a young assistant being groomed alongside.

I think we need someone to restore conidence in the players, someone who will massage ego's and make some of them realise just how bloody lucky they are to be playing for us.

In no way shape or form could he be described an up and coming manager, but not sure if there is a better man manager than him around at the minute.

Sadly his current club, seems to be everything that we aren't anymore, ambitious and financially stable.

Nothing that good ol' 'arry can't fix in a season or two!

So you think Blanc is a more proven manager than Deschamps?

Can I ask why?

I'd suggest that Blanc has won the Premier League as a player, and has managed to win a big-ish european league title.

Deschamps did well to get Monaco to the CL final, but he's not really won much as a manager. (think he just got a domestic cup with Monaco)

I was discussing this with a mate today. Is there anyone in the lower leagues to take a punt on. I know the punt would be massive (not least because there'd be a huge credibility issue with the players, never mind the fans), but I wonder if there's a raw talent out there who could come straight in. Failing that, could a very recently retired player do it?

Lambert's definitely one to keep an eye on, but he's inexperienced in League 1, let alone the Premiership.

I think you need to have someone who has a good eye for a player and therefore knowledge of European leagues and ability to command respect from the squad, which would normally either be a manager with successful history or a previous top player.

I think it would be very tricky to get someone like Owen Coyle, or even someone from the lower leagues who hasn’t been there and done it. The likes of Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Mascherano who are experienced at the top level might think “well, the pinnacle of your career was playing for Motherwell and managing to get Burnley promoted, who the fuck are you?”

So, it's tricky isn't it?

Maybe Laudrup - although I haven't forgiven him for turning us down at 17...

From the lower leagues I think you'd have to look at Sousa, Poyet or DiMatteo (even though the last two are dirty Chelsea).

Up until this season Rafa had built a team to challenge for the title.

1 season in 6 we have challengened for the title.

4th or not 4th the club will be changing hands this summer and the new owners will want Mourinho

And you know this for a fact do you shaun?

Sound. If it wasn't for the fact that he's (well) over 45, a flash cunt and a bung-taking fucking spiv, he'd be bang inside the criteria. You should start a thread called "Bent bollock-faced fakkin' cockney twat manager" and suggest him.

Obviously I wouldn't want an inexperienced manager if I had the choice. If forced, Poyet would be worth a look and I like Guardiola's football but the gamble would be whether he could create something from our current squad with little money available for improvements. Martinez tries to play the game well but is it enough? Laudrup is an intriguing possibility.