You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Aquilani Close to First Team Debut!

WhiskeyJar

Wenger is an exceptional manager who has won 3 PL's.

Yet when in the last 5 years have they mounted a serious title challenge on a higher budget than us?

Meanwhile Avram Grant managed it easily in his only season

At what point, do you stop looking for the Sky/tabloid/'personality' explanation & look at the real underlying cause of where a team finishes in the English League?

Catch, as I have pointed out countless number of times, you are a good poster and make some good points but you spoil everything by placing EVERYTHING on money.

I don't look for a Sky/tabloid explanation, thank you. I don't have Sky and I don't read any tabloids (unless you consider Times as tabloid). I can make my own mind from what I see in front of me.

Whelan pointed out a cracking point above - if we had bought someone like Silva instead of Keane, we would have probably won the title. Or say we bought Villa all those years ago or Ronaldo when we had the chance or even Anelka - instead of some real shite we have signed over the years, we could have broken your wages v finish explanation.

If, as you say, we have NO CHANCE of winning the title with our present budget, why do we need Rafa Benitez anyway? Lets get rid of him and get someone for half the wages.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, as you say, we have NO CHANCE of winning the title with our present budget, why do we need Rafa Benitez anyway? Lets get rid of him and get someone for half the wages.

There's always a chance, it's just that the odds are pretty badly against our success. As far as the last point goes, I would think that is what will happen.

Catch, as I have pointed out countless number of times, you are a good poster and make some good points but you spoil everything by placing EVERYTHING on money.

I don't look for a Sky/tabloid explanation, thank you. I don't have Sky and I don't read any tabloids (unless you consider Times as tabloid). I can make my own mind from what I see in front of me.

Whelan pointed out a cracking point above - if we had bought someone like Silva instead of Keane, we would have probably won the title. Or say we bought Villa all those years ago or Ronaldo when we had the chance or even Anelka - instead of some real shite we have signed over the years, we could have broken your wages v finish explanation.

Because we could do a lot worse.

I don't believe we have absolutely no chance but i believe Rafa would have to get everything right, (no manager does), to get hardly any injuries and every player to have a brilliant season for us to win the league on the current budget.

There's always a chance, it's just that the odds are pretty badly against our success. As far as the last point goes, I would think that is what will happen.

Because we could do a lot worse.

I don't believe we have absolutely no chance but i believe Rafa would have to get everything right, (no manager does), to get hardly any injuries and every player to have a brilliant season for us to win the league on the current budget.

I know. My comment was a bit tougue in cheek (and a bad one at that).

I was just saying, while money is hugely important in success, it is not virtually everything like Catch is saying.

I said exactly the same thing in the match thread after the game.

Any other manager would have gone after their throats, knowing fully well they will be knackered after playing 120 mins midweek. But Rafa thought they will be confident after beating Chelsea so he would have wanted to keep it tight at the back.

As you say, by nature, he IS cautious. He is very brave when we have nothing to lose but he consistently hides in a bunker when teams are chasing us. He gives totally unnecessary respect to the opposition and worries about them too much. His nature might win us a few cups but I'm convinced it won't win us the league.

Spot on that.

How I look at it is simple - you get people who go through life doing nothing because they are worried they might regret their actions. I worry about getting to the end of my life and regretting things I haven't done, not regretting things I have. My mentality to life is go for it. I expect Liverpool to be the same - that's not to say we have to bo foolish, but where we have the ability to go and batter teams I want us to do it. I imagine Rafa is the exact opposite to me - at the start of each game, he has a 0-0 and 1 point in the bag and he worries about losing it, so is happy to stick with what he's got in the hope his opponent is a gung ho idiot like me who'll throw caution to the wind and he can hopefully benefit from fuck ups.

"Dirk Kuyt could sit out and reserve striker Daniel Pacheco could be involved at some stage of the match."

Liverpool (from): Cavalieri, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Aquilani, Lucas, Mascherano, Gerrard, Riera, Ngog, Riera, Benayoun, Aurelio, Darby, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco, Agger.

BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool v Fiorentina

Be great to see Pacheco involved at some stage.

"Dirk Kuyt could sit out and reserve striker Daniel Pacheco could be involved at some stage of the match."

Liverpool (from): Cavalieri, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Aquilani, Lucas, Mascherano, Gerrard, Riera, Ngog, Riera, Benayoun, Aurelio, Darby, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco, Agger.

BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool v Fiorentina

Be great to see Pacheco involved at some stage.

Kelly is back? Awesome!!! Hope he starts.

Has noone seen fit to comment on Claudio Aquilani's comments that his son has been fully fit for over a month and is enormously frustrated at still being on the bench? This is from a TV interview in Italy tonight, so different set of quotes from those in the papers on Tuesday: "You'll have to ask the manager that", adding "I don't think the manger has a problem with him, but that's for Alberto to find out" It's as if Rafa gets some kind of peverse pleasure in signing players for huge sums of money and then messing with their heads!

I'm worried that this one is going the same way as Keane - to paraphrase Oscar Wilde (almost) to mess up one £20m transfer is unfortunate; to mess up two would be careless.

Has noone seen fit to comment on Claudio Aquilani's comments that his son has been fully fit for over a month and is enormously frustrated at still being on the bench? This is from a TV interview in Italy tonight, so different set of quotes from those in the papers on Tuesday: "You'll have to ask the manager that", adding "I don't think the manger has a problem with him, but that's for Alberto to find out" It's as if Rafa gets some kind of peverse pleasure in signing players for huge sums of money and then messing with their heads!

I'm worried that this one is going the same way as Keane - to paraphrase Oscar Wilde (almost) to mess up one £20m transfer is unfortunate; to mess up two would be careless.

I read that, but what the fuck can we do? Rafa is Rafa. If he wants to fuck up another big signing, that's his call.

This might be a bit too 'conspiracy theory' but if he screws with Alberto's head then we can probably sell him back to Roma for a loss, just like Keane, and the owners can just 'disappear' it.

Its been clear for sometime for those who dont wish to be brainwashed with Rafa propaganda that the only reason Aquaman hasnt started is to do with Rafa's gutless football decisions and nothing to do with his fitness.

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend this and look for reasons and excuses that arent there.

I am sure if we were top of the PL he would have started by now.

I read that, but what the fuck can we do? Rafa is Rafa. If he wants to fuck up another big signing, that's his call.

This might be a bit too 'conspiracy theory' but if he screws with Alberto's head then we can probably sell him back to Roma for a loss, just like Keane, and the owners can just 'disappear' it.

I know but football never ceases to amaze me. In what other realm of life do you spend a king's fortune on hiring someone, and then proceed to humiliate them, mess them around, and quite possibly alienate them. It happened to Keane last year, without question, and it looks as if it may be happening again. In no other realm of life are economic assets treated in this bizarre way, and above with such a lack of communication! At the very least, it's becoming clear that Rafa - once again - is failing to communicate and convey his ideas to a player.

The most fucking annoying thing about this is Aqualiani is very good player (not a typical Rafa player ie skillfull, creative & Intelegent) and if he stays fit is a very good buy for the club.

If he starts tomorrow then it proves beyond all doubt that Rafa has totally lost the plot.

He's definitely starting, mate.

Noone knows with Rafa, he'll probably bench him at the last minute just to prove a point.

I jest, you say? I could swear that certain people on here think that's how his mind works. That his sole purpose of management is to wind up up Liverpool-fans.