You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Aquilani Close to First Team Debut!

WhiskeyJar

Didn't say that they were comparisons and you know that quite well! I said you could find instances that suit your argument, you choose the one that suits yours. Its dishonest and not fair. And the bit in bold, stupid argument, you commented on finishing 2nd and then 5th! Your comparison not mine.

For the umpteenth time I made one comparison before you accused me of laziness, which was about a tendency to run for cover/a more cautious approach which never worked for Houllier when he said there'd be more progression. In Rafa's case it's even worse since by common consent the last two months of 08/09 were exciting and exceptional - then he adds two players who were meant to keep this positive outlook going.

When we concede some goals, not even by being too positive but from mistakes and flukes, we're back to a shutdown and denying much-needed game time to one of the players his future depends upon, a 30m rated (apparently) one at that.

My flippant response to your laziness dig has now escalated to me or anyone else making a direct comparison of every facet of their reigns.

Re Paisley; his ONE faux pas in 9 league seasons was as an indirect result of winning the European and League Cups instead. I'l stand down on the comparisons if Rafa does the same......

In any case why would I compare a manager with 6 titles to one with none?

How's that for glib!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa confirms Aquilani start - Liverpool FC

From the offal

An ankle injury has meant the Italy international has been restricted to just three cameo appearances since his summer arrival from Roma.

However, confident Aquilani's fitness concerns are now firmly behind him, Benitez is ready to hand the Reds' new No.4 his full debut.

The boss told Liverpoolfc.tv: "He will start tomorrow. He will do a proper warm-up on his own, and also with the fitness coach, so we will take care of him and he will be ready."

Aquilani has remained on the bench for Liverpool's last two outings against Everton and Blackburn Rovers.

"We decided we couldn't take any risks with him," explained the boss. "It wouldn't have been good for him or us.

"We were always considering playing him (against Blackburn), but when the game is so tight and physical, sometimes it can be worse for the player to play for 10-15 minutes.

"We wanted to protect him and give him the best opportunity to play well. Hopefully Wednesday will be the day.

"He has quality, good vision and is dynamic. It is a question of match fitness, but I think we will see some of these things against Fiorentina.

"If he can carry on training properly and play some games, we will see his quality.

"He is a player with experience at international level, which is important, but he is in a new country with different teammates, so he has to settle down and will need time.

"Each individual is different, but normally players need time."

In any case why would I compare a manager with 6 titles to one with none?

How's that for glib!

That's perfectly glib, well done at least you are consistent!

And for the umpteenth time, I didn't say you compared anyone to Bob! So you are getting wound up for something I didn't say, just the problems with comparisons, it works the other way, you got wound up when we say he has similar characteristics as Kenny, Shankly etc

If you never meant Houllier in general, then I genuinely apologise! I read

This all sounds very Houllier, when he opened up a bit, had two 2-2 home draws and then reverted to type. It can't work!

as a general comparison, which is what got me. If it is any compensation, it wound me up because I don't expect that from you! As I say, tabloid nonsense usually followed by 'Mourinio will win the league'

So our esteemed LFC manager is now being economical with the truth

I am with Code on this, its a sackable offfence in my book.

And you want Mourinho?

He always told the truth didn't he?

Unless it involved NHS workers trying to do their job to the best of their abilities, that is.

I think he knows how good Aquilani is and that's maybe why he's been over-cautious, because losing him would be such a big blow. I don't get people thinking he thinks he's shit so he isn't playing him. Arse aren't cloggers and they play football, so it probably wasn't a coincidence that he first appeared against them, and hopefully he'll start on saturday too.

Then when we do play cloggers, at least he should have a lot of his sharpness/awareness back and be better able to avoid any problems.

This bit worries me, if he thought he was that good he would be getting playing time.

Has he seen him in training and thought he is another dodgy Italian and does not think he is good enough.

I am not saying that is the case but it worries me.

He risks Gerrard and Torres two world class players why not him.

If it is any compensation, it wound me up because I don't expect that from you! As I say, tabloid nonsense usually followed by 'Mourinio will win the league'

I wasn't wound up mate, certainly nothing requiring an apology.

I'll call the things I listed unnerving coincidences and leave it at that!

I do think we should be ripping some of these teams to bits. The one bit of pressure we put on Hibbert for example, he collapsed like an Icelandic bank.

And Chris Samba gets to tell the world how little trouble we caused him/them. Fuming on Saturday, but only because we're better than this.

If we weren't I'd just shrug and wait for the inevitable.

I wasn't wound up mate, certainly nothing requiring an apology.

I'll call the things I listed unnerving coincidences and leave it at that!

I do think we should be ripping some of these teams to bits. The one bit of pressure we put on Hibbert for example, he collapsed like an Icelandic bank.

And Chris Samba gets to tell the world how little trouble we caused him/them. Fuming on Saturday, but only because we're better than this.

If we weren't I'd just shrug and wait for the inevitable.

I do agree with that, I mentioned it earlier, if we waste the first half 'keeping things tight' and then start to panic trying to score a goal, the game will be stretched. Blackburn had just played 120 minutes on Wednesday so why give them a rest first half? Surely it would be better to hammer them first off, we played as though we had played 120 mins, keep it tight and then have a go in the second half.

As I say, Hansen is pretty spot on, by nature he is a cautious manager and in the run we are in he is reverting to type.

I do agree with that, I mentioned it earlier, if we waste the first half 'keeping things tight' and then start to panic trying to score a goal, the game will be stretched. Blackburn had just played 120 minutes on Wednesday so why give them a rest first half? Surely it would be better to hammer them first off, we played as though we had played 120 mins, keep it tight and then have a go in the second half.

As I say, Hansen is pretty spot on, by nature he is a cautious manager and in the run we are in he is reverting to type.

He won't be cautious tomorrow.

I sit ok for Mourinho to lie, Nick?

Or anyone who isn't Rafa for that matter?

At the end of the season, there was a thread over Rafa not congratulating Fergie, Nick made a comment about Rafa having no class!

And yet here he is banging the drum for the dysfunctional midget!

At least he might have a ticket, I would seriously consider fucking the home games off if he came.

ps

Check the posts on the Houllier thread.

I got repped for it, ha!

I wonder if he will feel that way when we lift the FA Cup and the Europa League this year with Aquilani getting the most assists?

I will be delighted if we win the FA cup and Europa League, with or without Aquilani getting the most assists.

I will still blame Rafa for the way our title challenge ended in October. One of the main reasons for that was his gamble on Aquilani.

I said exactly the same thing in the match thread after the game.

Any other manager would have gone after their throats, knowing fully well they will be knackered after playing 120 mins midweek. But Rafa thought they will be confident after beating Chelsea so he would have wanted to keep it tight at the back.

As you say, by nature, he IS cautious. He is very brave when we have nothing to lose but he consistently hides in a bunker when teams are chasing us. He gives totally unnecessary respect to the opposition and worries about them too much. His nature might win us a few cups but I'm convinced it won't win us the league.

I said exactly the same thing in the match thread after the game.

Any other manager would have gone after their throats, knowing fully well they will be knackered after playing 120 mins midweek. But Rafa thought they will be confident after beating Chelsea so he would have wanted to keep it tight at the back.

As you say, by nature, he IS cautious. He is very brave when we have nothing to lose but he consistently hides in a bunker when teams are chasing us. He gives totally unnecessary respect to the opposition and worries about them too much. His nature might win us a few cups but I'm convinced it won't win us the league.

That might explain why I like him so much, I am a shithouse! I used to call for Hamman the minute the third goal went in!

I just hope he has a decent game and gets some much needed match fitness.

Not expecting anything special seeing it's his first start in months. Would be asking too much imo.

Aye. I just want the lad to play a few games and get proper fit by January/February. If he is as good as some people are saying, I'm sure we will see the real Aquilani towards end of the season or at the latest by next season.

Would be good to see him start tomorrow though.

That might explain why I like him so much, I am a shithouse! I used to call for Hamman the minute the third goal went in!

I like him too and I will have the same kind of happiness as anyone if he brings success to Liverpool.

However, I want consistent title challenge and I don't think he is the man for that. Again, I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

I like him too and I will have the same kind of happiness as anyone if he brings success to Liverpool.

However, I want consistent title challenge and I don't think he is the man for that. Again, I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

Wenger is an exceptional manager who has won 3 PL's.

Yet when in the last 5 years have they mounted a serious title challenge on a higher budget than us?

Meanwhile Avram Grant managed it easily in his only season

At what point, do you stop looking for the Sky/tabloid/'personality' explanation & look at the real underlying cause of where a team finishes in the English League?

Wenger is an exceptional manager who has won 3 PL's.

Yet when in the last 5 years have they mounted a serious title challenge on a higher budget than us?

Meanwhile Avram Grant managed it easily in his only season

At what point, do you stop looking for the Sky/tabloid/'personality' explanation & look at the real underlying cause of where a team finishes in the English League?

Just so that I can try and head off where this is going, I think that is one aspect of the job. There are others, had we say bought Silva instead of Keane and Riera I think we may have won the league, had Torres stayed fit more then we would have won the league, a little bit of luck we would have won the league.

Money didn't stop us winning the league, it has made it a lot harder to win, but it won't stop us.