You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I created a thread a while ago called "What's The Point Of Lucas?" and fuck me, was it prescient.

Lucarse was fucking dismal. He's fucking shit.

I don't doubt that Masher being well under-par was a factor, but really, we need to get rid of this clown ASAP.

The football in Brazil must be snail paced seeing as he won that award.

He's not good enough, not by a fucking long shot, and he never will be.

Losing possesion and conceding free kicks 100 times a minute. Shite. End of.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created a thread a while ago called "What's The Point Of Lucas?" and fuck me, was it prescient.

Lucarse was fucking dismal. He's fucking shit.

I don't doubt that Masher being well under-par was a factor, but really, we need to get rid of this clown ASAP.

Negged for crimes against humility. Terrible smart-arse nicknaming.

It's vicious, but it is very difficult to argue with much of it while retaining credibility.

A few facts and figures are off, but the general theme regarding the type of manager Rafa is IMO, pretty sound. That said, I'm beginning to think that if he settles on a team then we could win the league this year, regardless of our style of play.

It'll be very interesting to see how he approaches a run of games with a fully fit squad, system wise and personnel wise.

Sorry mate, can't agree. Disciplined??? He does nothing but foul, his passing is awful and his influence on the game for a midfielder is totally non existent. Just what does he do to justify such high praise and even higher transfer fee? He'll be gone within eighteen months never to be heard of again, a completely nothing player.

Lucarse is going to be another one of those polarising interspaz argument players.

All his fans will bemoan his detractors not appreciating his "simple, effective, controlling blah blah" play, and imply that to not appreciate Lucas is simply due to the fact that you "know fuck all about the game."

The rest of us will be like: "But he's a useless cunt who is slow, weak, can't tackle, is shit at passing and is bypassed so often he should have directions to our goal attached to his fucking head".

He's like Sissoko, minus the pace, athleticism and tackling ability.

One of the worst midfielders to pull on a red shirt in recent history.

A few facts and figures are off, but the general theme regarding the type of manager Rafa is IMO, pretty sound. That said, I'm beginning to think that if he settles on a team then we could win the league this year, regardless of our style of play.

It'll be very interesting to see how he approaches a run of games with a fully fit squad, system wise and personnel wise.

So they were chatting make belief?

I think the general assessment of Benitez and the team is pretty sound. It might not be what we want to hear, but it's pretty accurate. It's the tone I find objectionable, except for Souness, who's a little more measured.

It's completely lacking in objectivity, given the tone of it and the making up of facts to suit that opinion.

It's completely lacking in objectivity, given the tone of it and the making up of facts to suit that opinion.

no, that's not right.

How can you argue with the point that we gave the ball away cheaply, had the wrong sort of players on the pitch to close the game down effectively, have bought players who are below the standard expected of a top club, and don't have the same quality as Chelsea and Man Utd?

You can tell me that those opinions are wrong until the cows come home, but it won't do your credibility any good.

Nothing in football is objective, it popularity has a lot to do with the emotion and opinion involved. You should know this.

The post match stuff is as much a part of the show as the game these days, especially with Dunphy, not so much Giles and Souness, they'll usually try to give serious analysis. Soccer Saturday have taken the concept on further by having people watch people watching the games. If Phil Thompson was objective he wouldn't be in a job.

If it upsets you don't watch it, if you like getting worked up then do, or better still, see it for what it is.

no, that's not right.

How can you argue with the point that we gave the ball away cheaply, had the wrong sort of players on the pitch to close the game down effectively, have bought players who are below the standard expected of a top club, and don't have the same quality as Chelsea and Man Utd?

You can tell me that those opinions are wrong until the cows come home, but it won't do your credibility any good.

Because they lack context. The fact that they make things up to support their points erases their credibility. They might have some valid points but the people making them lose their credibility by presenting them in the fashion they have. The original point was that RTE is crap in its analysis. It is. Funny but crap.

What did they make up? Are you talking about the transfer numbers? I think you're hiding behind that to avoid the fundamental points as described in the previous post.

I'm not. You have to see Dunphy for what he is, an emotive, shock-jockesque television pundit. I don't think his remit is to give clear analysis, it's to shout and kowtow to the baying masses. He doesn't even hide it. Sorry for me not overlooking the truth to accept shockjockery. Each to their own.

I'm not. You have to see Dunphy for what he is, an emotive, shock-jockesque television pundit. I don't think his remit is to give clear analysis, it's to shout and kowtow to the baying masses. He doesn't even hide it. Sorry for me not overlooking the truth to accept shockjockery. Each to their own.

Dirk. We all know what Dunphy and the rest are like, nobody's accepting shockjockery at all. Just address the points that I've outlined in the post above, which are:

We gave the ball away cheaply, had the wrong sort of players on the pitch to close the game down effectively, have bought players who are below the standard expected of a top club, and don't have the same quality as Chelsea and Man Utd?

Now they are essentially the points made by that panel. They are valid points. If you find them troublesome to deal with, I can understand that, but to avoid them by telling me that Dunphy has an agenda is a rookie politician's response. You're normally a lot better than that.

Lucas reminds me of the Milan-Juve champions league final about 6 years back. Lot of lads I know tried to convince me that the game was a feast for the tactical connoisseur and those who didn't get the game just couldn't see it. In reality it was shite.

Great result last night though, hopefully we can put this to bed early and concentrate on the league.

Even last night, the accuracy and intelligence of Riera's passing stood out for me after he came on. And where Babel and Dirk would instinctively cut in, his natural instinct is to go on the outside. A genuine wide player at last.

A very promising start so far from the lad.

I watched the RTE link and I have to say I didn't have too much trouble with it. I watched about 15 mins of fairly in depth discussion which was quite engaging, certainly in comparison to the sound bites you get on ITV. In general I think they were a bit too hard on Rafa, but they weren't too far off in the things they covered. They touched on Rafa's footballing philosophy and the 'quantity over quality' debate, which have both been debated at length on here.

That's a fair assessment.

It's great entertainment, especially when compared to Sky or ITV, but it doesn't offer analysis any more incisive than either, bar perhaps some of Johnny Giles' contributions.

I don't watch the coverage when Liverpool are featured, but I'll tune in tonight to see them rip United to shreds before, during and after the game.

Dunphy used to irritate me greatly. Now I just enjoy him for what he is.