You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which was more impressive?

RedinSweden

Which one?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

I was a 100m sprinter in a previous life so Bolt for me. I have never seen someone showboating 15m before the end of the race and still break the WR. Unbelievable.

Absolutely. The faces of the three guys who finished behind him were a picture; "Wha'"?

Guest The Chimp

I watched the 200m yesterday (was in a pub in Brisbane so didn't have to listen to any commentators) and could not believe the time. Phelps' is the better achievement but on a personal level it was Bolt's performances that impressed me more - the performances in the sprint double blew me away.

Whilst I can see why people think that Bolt's was the more impressive, I've voted for Phelps.

Not sure people give enough credit to swimmers, just because they can enter more events.

The bloke has won 8 gold medals and set 7 world records in the space of a couple of weeks. If that had been done out of the pool and on a track, people would view it differently, which is wrong imo and thus not getting the full credit he deserves.

Bolt has the chance to be a showman and grab peoples attention with his antics whilst racing which Phelps can't really do, and that is why people will vote for Bolt over Phelps.

Phelps for me but it was a very close call. I went for Phelps not just because he won 8 gold medals but because he won them in all 4 disciplines of swimming. If he'd won this medals in one or two disciplines then I probably would have voted for Bolt, but I'm amazed that Phelps won using the freestyle, breast stroke, butterfly and back stroke.

Not only that but out of his 8 medals, 7 were won setting new world records. It's generally accepted that swimming is easier than athletics (on the body anyway) but still, his achievements are absolutely immense and I doubt they will ever be matched.

Winning both 100m and 200m compared to winning, what was it 5 individual swimming distances, then I have to say Phelps. The manner Bolt won though makes it difficult. The world hasn't seen anything like it before, a sprinter being that superior in a marginal event that the sprint is.

They are both great athletes so I really should refuse to vote on this, but RiS is afterall standing behind me with a gun poining at my head, so my vote goes to Phelps. What tips it in his favour is the number of times he had to perform to get there.

Bolt of course. Phelps is just swimming ffs, not burning up the track like Bolt did. To break the 2 most prestigious world records in sport is among the greatest achievements possible.

You can't say Phelps was "just swimming", because in that case Bolt was "just running". Both achievements were amazing.

Gotta love how people make swimming sound easy so it is dismissed as nothing.

One guy on 5live last night (who must have been drunk) came on and berated Richard Bacon by saying he is fed up of the media saying we have won so many gold medals in beijing because in his eyes, we only won 1 on the track, the rest don't count.

Anyway, even though he has all the charisma of a cheese sandwich - I am going to say Phelps.

Phelps for me but it was a very close call. I went for Phelps not just because he won 8 gold medals but because he won them in all 4 disciplines of swimming. If he'd won this medals in one or two disciplines then I probably would have voted for Bolt, but I'm amazed that Phelps won using the freestyle, breast stroke, butterfly and back stroke.

Not only that but out of his 8 medals, 7 were won setting new world records. It's generally accepted that swimming is easier than athletics (on the body anyway) but still, his achievements are absolutely immense and I doubt they will ever be matched.

Totally agreed with you, mate. And a few of Phelps wins were the relay, which he (somewhat) carried his team-mates. The last event, 4x100m medley relay, after the breast stroke, the US were 3rd. Then jumped Phelps with the butterfly and the US were 1st when the last swimmer jumped.