You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

images of war

neko

Are Starlingrad and Berlin good?

I'm listening to the unabridged recording of his 2 part history of WW2 and its excellent

I dont think in terms of good or bad when it comes to those books. They're absolutely devastating.

This is the first photo from Beavor's ww2 history (mentioned above in thread)

Posted Image

The inscription reads:

"Korean born Yang Kyoungjong who was forcibly conscripted in turn by the Imperial Japanese Army, the Red Army and the Wehrmacht, is taken prisoner by the Americans in Normandy in June 1944."

How many others have a similar tale to tell? Haha..and we moan when the broadband is playing up!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Where are the above sunken

always been a dream of mine to scuba dive in truk lagoon (or other pacific ocean battle site)

Yes me too, does anyone know if it's possible to scuba near these ships. I know there are people on the photo, but can amateurs do it.? I scuba dived a ship wreck, USS Liberty off Bali, think it WAS TORPEDOED BY Japan, ? Anyhow was pretty cool

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

81c4a7f8bdf67cb656e18cd58ddb64bc.jpg

Details

Bhanbhagta Gurung was about 24 years old, and aRifleman in the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Gurkha Rifles,British Indian Army when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC:

On 5 March 1945 at Snowdon-East, nearTamandu, Burma (now Myanmar), Gurung and his unit were approaching Snowdon-East. His company became pinned down by an enemy sniper and were suffering casualties. As the sniper was inflicting casualties on the section, Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung, being unable to fire from the lying position, stood up fully exposed to the heavy fire and calmly killed the enemy sniper with his rifle, thus saving his section from suffering further casualties. The section advanced again but came under heavy fire once again. Without waiting for orders, Gurung dashed out to attack the first enemy fox-hole. Throwing two grenades, he killed the two occupants and without any hesitation rushed on to the next enemy fox-hole and killed the Japanese in it with his bayonet. He cleared two further fox-holes with bayonet and grenades. "During his single-handed attacks on these four enemy fox-holes, Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung was subjected to almost continuous and point-blank Light Machine Gun fire from a bunker on the North tip of the objective." For the fifth time, Gurung "went forward alone in the face of heavy enemy fire to knock out this position. He doubled forward and leapt on to the roof of the bunker from where, his hand grenades being finished, he flung two No. 77 smoke grenades into the bunker slit." Gurung killed two Japanese soldiers who ran out of the bunker with his Kukri, and then advanced into the cramped bunker and killed the remaining Japanese soldier.Gurung ordered three others to take up positions in the bunker. "The enemy counter-attack followed soon after, but under Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung's command the small party inside the bunker repelled it with heavy loss to the enemy. Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung showed outstanding bravery and a complete disregard for his own safety. His courageous clearing of five enemy positions single-handed was in itself decisive in capturing the objective and his inspiring example to the rest of the Company contributed to the speedy consolidation of this success."

His regiment gained the battle honour "Tamandu" as a result of the engagement and he received hisVictoria Cross from King George VI at Buckingham Palace

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The plane flying over the pyramids is worth the rep alone. 

Why haven't we got a pyramid thread? We need a great pyramid thread. It's a fucking amazing thing!

I'll start one when I am sufficiently high in the hierarchy.

• Upvote 2

The plane flying over the pyramids is worth the rep alone. 

Why haven't we got a pyramid thread? We need a great pyramid thread. It's a fucking amazing thing!

I'll start one when I am sufficiently high in the hierarchy.

Why not write a pyramid bog