You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Will somebody step in and stop this shite seeping into two posts instead of just one.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its a shame to see him as an apologist now though as I often agree with him and his views on race arguments over here.

Great player and man.

14 hours ago, sir roger said:

Don't know about that, but the wife's best mate used to work in the KFC on County Road ( presumably breaking up straighteners ) in the 80's and Barnesy used to call in after training every day for a Bargain Bucket to take home. Said he was the sweetest guy no airs and graces at all.

it was a rumour going round at the time.

Looking back,I suspect it may have been bollocks

I cant still remember when he 1st signed. There was quite a drama as he seemed to string us along a bit and obviously all that stuff about him being the 1st black player we had signed.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard some younger contributors on various podcasts say that Mane would get in over Barnes in our best 11. Now, they did admit to recency bias but Barnes in his pomp from 87 to 90 was untouchable and would be worth 1.5 times mane was at his peak. 

Not knocking Sadio,loved him, but Barnes was on another level. Poetry in motion is fucking right. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, niallers said:

I've heard some younger contributors on various podcasts say that Mane would get in over Barnes in our best 11. Now, they did admit to recency bias but Barnes in his pomp from 87 to 90 was untouchable and would be worth 1.5 times mane was at his peak. 

Not knocking Sadio,loved him, but Barnes was on another level. Poetry in motion is fucking right. 

I’d be finding a spot for both.

7 hours ago, niallers said:

After we won the title, I was at Hotel Anfield and Steve McMahon told me he would have Mane over Barnes in his all time Liverpool XI.

Barnes vs Mane for a LW spot is far closer than some people want to believe. For all the years he was here,Barnes had 4 years as a top LW before the achieves injury, he was never the same player after that. Barnes performances are all domestically aswell to Mane performing on a higher stage in Europe

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Barnes vs Mane for a LW spot is far closer than some people want to believe. For all the years he was here,Barnes had 4 years as a top LW before the achieves injury, he was never the same player after that. Barnes performances are all domestically aswell to Mane performing on a higher stage in Europe

If you wanted to compare for the greatest ever team, wouldn’t it be Barnes and Salah? Both left footers.
If Barnes had been around under Klopp he’d have been on the right cutting in, same as Mo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

It already looks like despite winning the title/European Cup, few of the team will be in discussion for greatest 11, due to missing out to City so often. Maybe due to this forum being full of old farts too. Maybe the younger fans view things differently.

8 minutes ago, John102 said:

It already looks like despite winning the title/European Cup, few of the team will be in discussion for greatest 11, due to missing out to City so often. Maybe due to this forum being full of old farts too. Maybe the younger fans view things differently.

I would say 5 of them are already on it.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Barnes was my first football hero, but I think saying Sadio isn't on that level is a bit insulting to him. As I said with Barnes most of his reputation comes from tbe 4 years when he first joined,Sadio was definitely at a similar level. 

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

All 11 are debatable. Not many would debate Vvd though and Salah has to be in.

If anything over the last year for me Trent's stock has gone down a little and Robbos up so it may be just 4.

Think I’d go:

Alisson 

Neal Hansen Sami Robertson 

Gerrard Xabi Souness

Kenny           Barnes

Rush