You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest fight of all time?

Remmie

Guest PaddyBerger15
I have to admit I had never heard of Ezra Sellers before I met him, but he came across really well and that fight with Thompson was really exciting. Carl Thompson was in so many exciting fights during his career. Its a shame he wasnt managed better because he should have been a household name for amount of entertainment he dished out during his career. I saw him beat Haye when he was washed up and that was a brilliant comeback he made in that fight. YouTube - David Haye v Carl Thompson

I cant agree with people putting Gatti Ward fights in all time great lists. Neither was a feared fighter at the time and both would have been taken apart by the best in their division at the time. In footballing terms I would compare their fights to Portsmouths high scoring victory over Reading... Lots of entertainment but enough class.

Perhaps slightly harsh assessment of Gatti and Ward Liam, but I understand what you mean. Gatti was a 2 weight world champion, but never at the top of his division in any weight class. Mickey Ward was a real tough guy who would have given anybody a fight who just happened to be around when the division he was in was strong...like a latter day Jerry Quarry...only lighter obviously!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much aboot boxing, only that I enjoy watching it. I've just watched the Barrera / Moreales fight on Youtube and, blimey, that was something else. The original recommendation was smart aswell. It never fails to make me wonder just how you get twatted up side the head that many times and stay on your feet. Every time Moreales got a few tasty hits in Barrera just pulled a flurry out of nowhere and they were back at it. Amazing fight.

I tried looking for the Benn / McClellan fight but can't find it on Youtube. I don't know if it's been removed due to what happened afterwards or not but does anyone have or know of a link to it please? In the meantime going to watch a few more of the recommendations. Cheers for posting them.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I don't think I've ever winced at watching a boxing fight as much as the Dempsey-Willard punch up. Shocking stuff, well worth a watch on youtube.

There was and always has been rumours, although unsubstantiated, that Jack had loaded gloves for that fight.

When you see what he did to big Jess, you kinda wonder.

got to be Benn v McClellan for me. anyone who gets knocked out of the ring only to get up and win gets my respect! used to love watching Nigel Benn,all of his fights were entertaining

never expected to see this fight on tv again for obvious reasons but it was on some crap channel on free view last week. Ace!

honourable mention must go to the the Holyfield - Bowe fights.

McClellan v Benn a true war, I've got a book dedicated to the whole fight called War Baby, they had ambulances on standby as they new with them two characters someone was going to get seriously hurt its a shame what happened to McClellan, alot worse than Watson, whose 2nd fight with Eubank was another classic, I miss them great fight nights on Itv.

The second Ali-Frazier fight was a classic Chaz and the first Benn Eubank fight ranks up there as one the best domestic dust ups ever. Benn wasn't chinny, he was just too wide open and his style was made for Eubank that night...great fight though.

Tyson cleaned up the division at a pretty bleak time, but you'd have to say that the Heavyweights haven't been any stronger since. You look at the people he beat and that deserves plenty of respect. Tony Tucker was a good fighter, Pinklon Thomas is no worse than much since, nor is Bonecrusher or Trevor Berbick... Michael Spinks was out of his depth...but Tyson pretty much hammered all comers before Jim Jacobs died and Bill Caytons influence was eroded by Don King and his fucking whore of a wife and her daft mother....Samson and Delilah all over again.

There has been some real revisionism about Tyson's achievements now he is a bum, but back in the day, he was as scary as anybody in history. When Cus D'Amato had him under his wing, Tyson had a real underrated defence and could punch with both hands...he worked off a good jab and threw hooks to the body. In later years, he just loaded up on overhand rights and was a 4 round fighter.

I think Holyfield had his number and would have beaten Tyson 9 times out of 10 whenever they had fought. Tyson peaked early and when at his peak didn't have enough savvy to beat Holyfield, when he did have enough savvy, he was way past his best. Tyson would still make the top 10 heayweights of all time list.

True that. The Heavy weight division is almost non-existant these days. It's made up of Cruiser Weights who pack on the pounds or fucking giants who fight like Robots. Back in the mid 80's to the mid to late 90's, it was all about the heavyweights. They where true athletes, big strong blokes who could move and put on a good show. Sadly that isn't the case anymore and hasn't been for years now.

Benn was just relentless that night, no way he was going to lose.

in his book he said he had to be helped in and out of the bath after the fight!

was never really the same after, but still did enough to beat Eubank. (in my opinion, not the judges)

Guest PaddyBerger15
No one see the Walker Vs Fearon fight then? It was on the beeb a few years ago

I don't think so Rem, how long ago are we talking? Was it late 90's time? I recall the names, but don't recall the fight.

I don't think so Rem, how long ago are we talking? Was it late 90's time? I recall the names, but don't recall the fight.
About 4 or 5 years ago, trying to remember what undercard it was for, maybe an Audley Harrison fight seeing as it was on the Beeb.

It was an absolutely brilliant fight. Neither could defend very well, both liked to throw leading hooks and haymakers and it to'd and fro'd in every round (of only 4!). The first round I think was mostly going Walker's way until Fearon caught him late and knocked him down heavily right at the end of the round - although he got up, Walker was probably saved by the bell. He recovered well for the next round and it was virtually identical to the first round, with Fearon scoring a heavy knock down having been in a bit of trouble himself, again with only about 3 seconds of the round remaining. Walker dusted himself off and prepared for the third round. This round was outstanding, both taking serious head shots and this time, again at the end of the round Walker this time floored Fearon, and he was saved by the bell. Walker pounced on him in the 4th and knocked him down quite quickly, well at least not at the end of the round. Fearon got up looked a little shaky and the ref stopped it. Was a stoppage that could have gone either way but for selfish enjoyment I wanted it to continue.

Neither has done much since - Walker lost to European champion Roman Karmazine and Fearon lost to Howard Eastman's brother.

Graham Earl v Michael Katsidis from last year was one of the best fights of all time. Earl was knocked down about 3 times and his corner threw in the towel but the ref picked it up and threw it out again (as the fight couldn't be stopped that way). He got up and knocked Katsidis down before being unable to come out after the 5th.

Remmie is the new Harry Carpenter. Nope, don't recall that at all, sounds a belter though. Is it on the tube?
No I tried that, not sure if there is any footage of it, well at least not easy to find. Maybe if I emailed David Walker personally.

My boxing Knowledge is only of recent times, I'm not too much of a history buff with it, well I won't go further then the 70's. As soon as I see the crummy black and white footage I lose interest. It's hard to follow boxing without Sky or Setanta so mostly things I learn are from articles. I think one of the site sponsors - cherry trees sells a boxing dvd or 2- there is a Tyson one on there for only 2 quid, I'd buy it but I hate the cunt.

There were a few boxing fans selling special compilations on ebay for a while - I bought a Lennox Lewis and Ricky Hatton career boxsets. One that ended up getting taken off was ring magazine fights of the year for the past 15 years. That would have been a great purchase. I really should just download them as youtube picture quality is pretty dreadful most of the time.

• 1 year later...

Jesus how did i miss this thread!

Some brilliant knowledge on this, i've only gotten really into boxing the last 10 years so i'm going to catch up with a lot of the fights people have mentioned on this.

I've caught a lot of the fights mentioned here on youtube but there's loads on this that i've haven't seen so keep up the good work folks.