You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tony Hawks is a fab writer - very understated, very 'nice' - when that word meant something good. Try his tennis one, and the one about him buying a house in France. Both excellent. I think Nick Hornby is a bit of a one trick pony and very 1990, and I found that book a bit depressing, largely because the quality of the writing and dialogue. I'll never read another of his.

I don't know the Dice Man - who's it by?

The Diceman is a very different mood from anything that Tony Hawks or Nick Hornby would write. I see what you mean about Nick Hornby but that book made me laugh out loud several times. I think there are depressing undertones to the book, but I think that's intentional. In fact I think the way it ends is very clever.

The Dice Man - by Luke Rhinehart, pretty messed up - would be an interesting way to live..

Have just bought this off shit waffle's (I think?) reccomendation previously.

I'm currently still reading American tabloid by James Elroy and its very very good, unfortunately I havent had much time to read it recently.

Have just bought this off shit waffle's (I think?) reccomendation previously.

I'm currently still reading American tabloid by James Elroy and its very very good, unfortunately I havent had much time to read it recently.

It was indeed. Unless you think it's shit, in which case it was Adam S.

The Diceman is a very different mood from anything that Tony Hawks or Nick Hornby would write. I see what you mean about Nick Hornby but that book made me laugh out loud several times. I think there are depressing undertones to the book, but I think that's intentional. In fact I think the way it ends is very clever.

I just finished Long Way Down by Hornby and thought it was a decent read. He develops characters well in my opinion.

I just finished Long Way Down by Hornby and thought it was a decent read. He develops characters well in my opinion.

Im not long finishing that one as well, i thougt it was funny as fuck - the dialog is wicked between Jess and the ex-GMTV wannabe matey - excellant..

Im not long finishing that one as well, i thougt it was funny as fuck - the dialog is wicked between Jess and the ex-GMTV wannabe matey - excellant..

I was dissapointed with the ending, without spoiling anything I thought it was a bit to neat and tidy. I like a fucked up ending you see.

Nearly finished Bobby Robson's An Englishman Abroad it's quite good,

also read in the past month Pierluigi Collina The Rules of the game & Dennis wises' Autobiography both were quite interesting got these along with Andy Gray,Gray Matters & Bestie, by Joe Lovejoy as a set cost me £4

Nearly finished Bobby Robson's An Englishman Abroad it's quite good,

also read in the past month Pierluigi Collina The Rules of the game & Dennis wises' Autobiography both were quite interesting got these along with Andy Gray,Gray Matters & Bestie, by Joe Lovejoy as a set cost me £4

Great story on RAWK a couple of years back about Bobby Robson doing a book signing. After this lad had queued for hours on end he said to Bobby Robson "I bet you've signed a few of these today Bobby?" Bobby Robson replied

"Hundreds, hundreds and hundreds!"

When the bloke got home and went to show his wife he read it and it said "Best Wishes, Bobby Hundreds"!

Northern Lights, Philip Pullman. I only started it last night but my missus recommended it.

You're in for a treat - it's fucking ace. The first 100 or so pages are a struggle as he doesn't explain any of the terminology he's using, but after that it goes boom. The entire trilogy is amazing and I want an alethiometer.

Iv liked all his books including the 2 fiction series he writes. I think they are very easy reads you can just sit back and relex without having to have your brain work overtime. He goes into a lot of detail in parts about shiting in clingfilm ect.

Im currently reading a Ian rankin "rebus" one at the mo.

Yeah, one of the best action authors outhere imo. Some say he went ott about the reality of Bravo Two Zero and made it out to be something it really wasn't. Some lads dont like him, still, he makes a cracking book...

Finished Chris Eubank's auto last month. Big fan of him and have a signed copy. Only started reading it a few months ago but really thoroughly enjoyed it. I suggest any boxing fan or amatuer philosopher to pick it up.

I've got 2 books on the go at the moment. Quite aptly the firts is "Fantastic - The Arnold Schwarzenegger autobiography". It's quite good but is ghost written by Lawrence Leamer who is an American Political writer and it chats on a bit too much about Arnie the politician rather then Godfather of Bodybuilding. It seems it's been written just after his appointment of Governor of California and is focussing on drumming up American support. For me I wanted to hear more about the physical training side and concepts of body building which it does touch on but not enough. The second book is a little paperback called "Where d'ya get ya trainers from - The Liverpool boy's are in town". It's about our fans in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's and all the soccer casual scene. Liverpool bars clubs pubs back then and diferent styles of fashion being brought back from Europe. It's really good, and while I wasn't out and about in the 80's cos I was still shitting in nappies, it's good to hear what it was like. That is all.

If you want to read more book reviews by Turner Book Prize winner Charley Knight BA Hons log on to http://www.guardian.com/thescalreview

just found a book that i started ages ago put it down one day & it vanished.... the other 1/2 (aka Him in the pub) couldn't remember seeing it twit had pack it with some other books!! It's called Fighter Boys ( saving Britain 1940) by Patrick Bishop about fighter pilots.

• 3 months later...

I was introduced to a comic/graphic novel called Bone over xmas. My mate had the fist two stories in hard back, but they're all available in a 1300 page paperback.

It's absolutely lovely, really funny, and well written. For £18 everyone should try it.

And there's one character called Thorn who's the hottest cartoon character ever. Shh.

• 3 months later...