You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 West Ham 1 (Dec 20 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

Well that was easy. I wasn’t expecting it to be like that because we’ve been crap lately and the last time we played the Hammers at Anfield we had to play really well to get the win as they looked a good side. Both managers made six changes but even so, I don’t think anyone expected this.

We were really good. It was clear from the very start that the tempo was high and we were playing with intensity. We weren’t creating too many clear chances but it always felt like a goal was just around the corner. West Ham weren’t offering anything in attack but they were working hard to keep us at bay so the first half was at least somewhat competitive. They just gave up in the second half, but that’s not our problem. We can only beat what’s in front of us and the lads did that very well.

After the damp squib served up last Sunday this was what we needed. A lively, aggressive, front foot display full of attacking football, relentless pressing and a nice variety of goals. If only we could have had just one of these goals against the Mancs.

Some of the goals were lovely. The first from Dom is a belter. Not many people can strike a ball that like, with that weird Ronaldo technique. If I tried that I’d break my foot. The keeper didn’t really have any chance to keep that out. He should have dealt with the second one though, scored by Curtis just after half time. It’s a clever finish after he ran onto a lovely pass by Nunez, but there’s only one way he can score from such a tight angle and that’s through the keeper’s legs. How is the keeper allowing that to happen?

The third was a powerful strike by Gakpo from the edge the box. Very clean strike, which is something he’s really good at. Not gonna lie, I was pissed off that he didn’t play Nunez in but he scored so what can I say? Well, “greedy bastard” was something I did say but you can just chalk that up to my desperation for Nunez to end this run he’s on and shut all the knobheads up. 

I saw some LFC account with nearly a quarter of a million followers tweeting before this game that if he doesn’t score in the next two games he’s in danger of losing the fans for good. It’s this kind of shit that makes me go so far the other way. 

Goal number four was from Mo who came off the bench to run clear and effortlessly score. He was horrifically bad in everything else he did but the way he took that goal, it was just never in doubt was it? He never seems to miss those. He misses fucking loads of chances, but rarely those ones when he runs clean through. So accomplished at those. If only he could pass some of that on to my boy.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

The Klopp rant was a bit bizarre. The irony is that the section of the Main Stand he was gesticulating to was much noisier than usual last night, thanks to a smattering of non-regulars. Normally the old fart ST holders around me are as quiet as mice, to the extent that they glare at me and my potty-mouth abuse of the officials which is clearly audible over the silence.

The reality is that last night, the performance was excellent, it always felt that we would win, most of us were fairly relaxed and had nothing to get worked up about  - credit West Ham for not time-wasting, diving and generally shithousing like 75% of the teams we see here - and the ref was, contrary to my expectations, quite decent. 

• Upvote 3

Whoever is responsible for that tweet about Darwin quite clearly does not go the game. Darwin could not be any better supported than he is by our fans at the match, whether home or away. What a completely fucking embarrassing take.

• Upvote 3

I agree with every word – and also the tone – of what you say about Klopp’s comments, too Dave. To be honest, I was amazed that wasn’t your take on the pod initially. I think he’s bang out of order and the “stay in your lane” shout is spot on. 

23 minutes ago, Paul said:

I agree with every word – and also the tone – of what you say about Klopp’s comments, too Dave. To be honest, I was amazed that wasn’t your take on the pod initially. I think he’s bang out of order and the “stay in your lane” shout is spot on. 

We'd literally only just heard the quotes the second before we went on and didn't have too much context around it, so didn't want to go in too hard. Might revisit it in the next one though.

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Get Klopp on the podcast to debate it. Ask Neville to come on as well, then label him a shithouse when he refuses.

Was going to mention Konate on the match thread. When he came on he was like a man possessed.

He was like Beckenbauer or something, stepping up and demanding the ball and getting us playing. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Dave is spot on about Klopp's words being used to beat us, look at the headline. I read the SoS statement and this was a very small part of what they said.

Screenshot_20231222_124347_Google.jpg

That tit Neville started the narrative and then Klopp poured a can of petrol on it. 

I think you’re overreacting to be honest, Dave. .You're right about Klopp not knowing the intricacies of ticket allocation and sharing and it’s nice to have someone stick up for the fans, but I think the atmosphere needs a good kick up the arse, and people leaving early should be shot at dawn.

As Carra said, he got the tone wrong.

I sympathise with what your saying though.

15 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I think you’re overreacting to be honest, Dave. .You're right about Klopp not knowing the intricacies of ticket allocation and sharing and it’s nice to have someone stick up for the fans, but I think the atmosphere needs a good kick up the arse, and people leaving early should be shot at dawn.

As Carra said, he got the tone wrong.

I sympathise with what your saying though.

People leaving early is a different discussion. When he complained about that I backed him as he was right.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

People leaving early is a different discussion. When he complained about that I backed him as he was right.

Fair enough, I don’t go to as many games as you probably do if I did I’ll probably be just as pissed off, if I’ve invested all that time and money and all the other effort that it involves.

People leaving early is kind of part of the same problem, dodgy atmosphere, people acting entitled.
Everyone in the main stand should have their season tickets cancelled, and they should all be given to enthusiastic younger local fans.

Plus , as I say, shoot, any early leavers. Just to maim not to kill. I’m not a monster

it's fine by me in the Main Stand but I think there must be some proper knobheads who sit close to Klopp as he's often getting wound up by them. I never really hear anything untoward where I sit. There's never anyone getting on the player's backs, whereas it used to be quite common.

• dave u unpinned this topic