You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jarell Quansah welcome to/he's already at Liverpool!

Megadrive Man

May as well get a thread going for our newest defender.

Welcome to  he's already here!

A 20 year old from Warrington. Been at the club since the age of 5.

"He made 16 appearances for Bristol Rovers last season.  Rovers manager Joey Barton said,

“I’m mindful of not heaping too much on the kids but, why not?” Barton said, in response to a question around whether Quansah could one day play for England. “He’s as good on the ball that you’ll need to be in terms of building out from the back. He’s going to get bigger, he’s going to get stronger, he’s going to get faster. His anticipation of the game is going to be better because more senior games get you that.

“The one concern we had when we brought him in was his heading ability because we knew he could leap, he could score a goal at the back post, but he’s getting well-versed in the physical, aerial contact. But the heading he’s doing from a defensive standpoint is what any senior would be proud of. He has an enormous future in front of him"

Here is the obligatory Youtube video,

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Interesting use of the word "we".

Why?

It used to be a source of pride for supporters to see young players coming through, it was a wider footballing concern when that dried up at lots of clubs with the influx of foreign players so to see the odd one or two every few seasons would be encouraging and something the likes of City are making use of.

If Quansah being given a chance is instead of a genuine ready to start signing then obviously it's a different matter but if it was in place of signing an equivalent youngster then I hope he takes his chance.

Watched him through the junior ranks, very calm, composed and has all the physical attributes of a centre back. Good in possession and excellent passer of the ball through the lines. 

The one criticism is not seeing a runner going in behind him. At that level you would expect the coaches to be constantly at the defence to be moving their heads all the time to be aware of danger and hopefully the message has got through. 

Interesting to see Barton's comments about aerial strength, Quansah is big enough but probably does need to develop the strength to deal with powerful strikers jumping with him. 

I've always thought he could become a top level player,  stood out from the pack and with the right nurturing of his talent we may have a winner. 

23 minutes ago, Ashberry said:

Scoped out what Bristol Rovers fans views were. General consensus was he was liable for a mistake in each game but will ultimately play at a level higher than they are in.

20 in centre back years is like 15 in other positions. Hardest position for a kid to play as they will always make mistakes, it goes with the territory. If he's liable for one a game that's normal and it's exactly why you loan them out, so they can make those mistakes with someone else.

He should get the Europa League games and domestic cup games against lower league opponents. That should speed along his development, but realistically, at our level, you're looking at a minimum of 22 years old to have a chance of nailing down a regular spot.

This lad does have genuine star potential though, unlike some of the other young centre backs we've seen hyped up.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

"He made 16 appearances for Bristol Rovers last season.  Rovers manager Joey Barton said,

“I’m mindful of not heaping too much on the kids but, why not?” Barton said, in response to a question around whether Quansah could one day play for England. “He’s as good on the ball that you’ll need to be in terms of building out from the back. He’s going to get bigger, he’s going to get stronger, he’s going to get faster. His anticipation of the game is going to be better because more senior games get you that.

“The one concern we had when we brought him in was his heading ability because we knew he could leap, he could score a goal at the back post, but he’s getting well-versed in the physical, aerial contact. But the heading he’s doing from a defensive standpoint is what any senior would be proud of. He has an enormous future in front of him"

Here is the obligatory Youtube video,

Nah you just stub cigars out in their eyes Joey 

• Upvote 1

People seem to assume that we let our fifth choice CB go on loan to Celtic. I would think it’s obvious that Nat Phillips was now 6th choice, as Quansah has stepped ahead of him.

How good he is I have no idea, and we should’ve brought in a new defender in the summer imo, but hopefully this lad is better than we all think. It at least seems pretty clear he isn’t an option of pure emergency like Rhys Williams was.

4 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

People seem to assume that we let our fifth choice CB go on loan to Celtic. I would think it’s obvious that Nat Phillips was now 6th choice, as Quansah has stepped ahead of him.

How good he is I have no idea, and we should’ve brought in a new defender in the summer imo, but hopefully this lad is better than we all think. It at least seems pretty clear he isn’t an option of pure emergency like Rhys Williams was.

agreed, he seems to be ahead of williams and phillips. i think klopp generally likes to have an emerging player in each department. no problems with that. but i think our defence probably needed one or two more and an emerging talent. but hopefully this lad can step up and it'll make the next windows easier as we need to start thinking about matip, vvd and robbo at the very least.