You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Selling Henderson and keeping Fab was actually what I wanted at the start of the season. 

I think if the club could go back in time they would have bought Ugarte - they passed not knowing how much the 8s would cost us and still having Henderson earning 200K a week on the books. With 12-15m for Henderson, wages freed up, Ugarte would have been a great buy.

I think Lavia has the potential to be a really good player. Him alone only works with Fab staying. The club needs to make it fucking clear that unless Fab deal is signed off by this weekend he's staying for a season. I'm sick of hearing Klopp talk about if a player wants to leave he won't stand in their way - it's far too nice of an approach and we can't keep leaving the club in a situation where it is fucked.

Lavia and Fab would be okay for me (based on my dampened expectations under this ownership), but then its a motherfucking priority that we buy a strong LCB. Go and spend 80m on Gvardiol. 

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

We need to be better - the competition are better and stronger than ever.

Players in terminal decline like Henderson and Fabinho are not going to help us get better - they are the problem, not the solution.

The fact we seem to be getting 50m for the pair of them to put towards the solution is IMO a big, big bonus and an opportunity we would be mad to pass up.

I dont think we are "passing it up". We are ready to do the deal. Rumblings are that there are no proof of funds and Liverpool do not want to be in a situation where they've sold the player but are waiting for the money to come in over x months.

We need the money now, because our owners aren't willing to take that capital risk on (because they are cunts).

Could be that the club is satisfied with the payment terms and there's adequate proof of funds - but there's more worry coming from Fab's camp, who want more long-term assurances. We just need to get paid once; he needs (well, not needs but you know what I mean) to get paid monthly - and the SPL clubs aren't without their visits to CAS to arbitrate with unpaid players.

Fabinho put in some of the worst performances I've seen from a Liverpool player last season. What was that game where he came on as a sub, it was worse than Lovren v spurs, it was worse than George Weahs cousin. Then he made a red card challenge and rather than act indifferent I thought he was going to pull out a red card and send himself off. It's no judgement on him as a player for us overall he's been unbelievable but christ last season he didn't just fall off a cliff! he fell off a Cliff, in Clifton with Cliff Richards! towards the end I think he found a rock to cling onto but I think he is still going to fall further and I'm not sure I want to watch him through my fingers wincing like someone's passed Cliff a microphone in the rain.

Get the cash and move on. Being frugal better not cost us this window, this club needs to spend even if it hurts the yearly books.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Selling Henderson and keeping Fab was actually what I wanted at the start of the season. 

I think if the club could go back in time they would have bought Ugarte - they passed not knowing how much the 8s would cost us and still having Henderson earning 200K a week on the books. With 12-15m for Henderson, wages freed up, Ugarte would have been a great buy.

I think Lavia has the potential to be a really good player. Him alone only works with Fab staying. The club needs to make it fucking clear that unless Fab deal is signed off by this weekend he's staying for a season. I'm sick of hearing Klopp talk about if a player wants to leave he won't stand in their way - it's far too nice of an approach and we can't keep leaving the club in a situation where it is fucked.

Lavia and Fab would be okay for me (based on my dampened expectations under this ownership), but then its a motherfucking priority that we buy a strong LCB. Go and spend 80m on Gvardiol. 

Why keep a player who offers nothing?

34 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I dont think we are "passing it up". We are ready to do the deal. Rumblings are that there are no proof of funds and Liverpool do not want to be in a situation where they've sold the player but are waiting for the money to come in over x months.

We need the money now, because our owners aren't willing to take that capital risk on (because they are cunts).

I wasn't suggesting we are passing it up.

My comment was solely aimed at the view some hold that we should keep Fabinho.

17 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Why keep a player who offers nothing?

I don't necessarily think he offers nothing and I think Klopp/Pep probably feel the same. I think they think - with new legs around him, incl. Lavia - he offers more than any 50M replacement we can find on the market right now.

In an ideal world we fuck him off and buy Caicedo though, I agree. Unfortunately we are owned by ambitionless cunts. 

Just now, an tha said:

I wasn't suggesting we are passing it up.

My comment was solely aimed at the view some hold that we should keep Fabinho.

Yep agreed. I was just replying to that phrasing because I think we are more than happy to take the money and run.

Which says a lot in itself...

Even if Fabinho stays, I think Lavia will quickly win his place in the starting 11 anyway. How he played at Southampton given how bad they were and how complete his profile is; he wins a really high percentage of duels, he is mobile, his pressing is great, he is good on the ball, should make sure of that.

And then Fabinho will want to leave next summer but this time, we will actually be able to prepare for it beforehand, along with Thiagos departure as well, instead of scrambling in the market for our 4th new midfielder of a summer at the end of July, in a bare market. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I took some strays on the podcast after saying that Fab had to go, but he does. You can’t put in a spell of performances like that and survive; not if we’re serious about challenging again.

Pre-Klopp we were a club who loved a player who had a 9/10 run of games but with some 5’s in there too. What took us to that next level was consistency, so it’s the right decision to be ruthless based on what happened.

Other players dropped off too but none as extreme as Fabinho.

one or two were even worse but didn't have so far to fall.

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Trouble is, if Fabinho stays and Lavia supplants him, there's no guarantee we'll be able to shift Fabinho next summer. We've seen before, when it comes to selling players on the downward trajectory there's a limited window.

I assume that's why we badly want him to go at this point. 

Nah, one more should not be contingent on those players leaving, we always needed one more 6.

Some of stories suggest we have been in talks with the player for a while, so hopefully a sign that we haven't been as idle as it may seem.

Just re-reading Ornstein’s article on Fabinho.

…all parties remain committed to getting it done if possible.

So if all parties are committed, I assume they have the money, seems a bizarre statement to make.

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Just re-reading Ornstein’s article on Fabinho.

…all parties remain committed to getting it done if possible.

So if all parties are committed, I assume they have the money, seems a bizarre statement to make.

Agent fees I reckon.