You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers (H) - CL, Tue 4th Oct 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Good first half, apart from the finishing.

Second was half decent, nothing more, up to about 70 minutes. After that we lowered the tempo and intensity, which predictably turned us into a mediocre team.

Very difficult to make anything from this as the opposition is so much weaker than what we normally face.

Anyway, three points and no injuries.

16 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

Our substitutions are mind blowing it's like we just stop for the last 5 minutes Milner and Harvey on with Fab and we start giving away chances.

Unfortunately we can only use substitutes we have; not ones we want.

I don't think that game tells us much we didn't already know. Trent was definitely a lot better with the ball than he has been but they offered fuck all until the last 5 minutes, when they could have had 2 goals.

I thought Nunez was good tonight, never hid, got about and was unlucky to come up against a superb keeper. Maybe there is a future for that formation.

I'm just as worried about the Arsenal & City games as I was at 7:55pm.

OK sevco are shite and also showed no ambition and never pressed or harried us....but i still think we looked better with the formation tweak.

It as we have said on here before just suits the players strengths more and does not leave their weaknessess so exposed.

TAA in particular seemed freed and therefore was more like his old self as a result.

Hard to read too much into it as it was against such limited opposition - but i feel there is something to build from here and the change is for my money one that represents the way forward for us - it suits what we have now in terms of type of and abilities/limitations of players.

What is worrying slightly is as soon as we brought on subs we looked open and disjointed again - we need more like for like depth and quality in this squad to really kick back on again IMO.

Decent that, but the way we’ve been this season, I’m happy with us tonight. I reckon Daisy is an absolute cunt who never posts anything of any use whatsofuckingever and I’ve concluded is nothing but a fucking manc or blue shite troll. Fuck off. 

• Upvote 1

Hard to know what to make of it as Rangers just looked like a really poor team. Our finishing was really starting to do my head in and it felt like we'd have won by 6 or 7 had we really been at it. I was thinking we at least looked nice and solid defensively but then Rangers created several chances near the end. That clearance from Tsimikas was really impressive. I've no idea how he avoided scoring an own goal. But it would have been ridiculous had we managed to concede in a game where the opposition seemed to have very little interest in attacking for most of the night. Ajax getting absolutely stuffed by Napoli certainly helps us. I'm not sure if anything is really fixed after that but any sort of win can only help to improve confidence.

As comfortable a night as it gets. I thought our starting XI were generally sharp in their play, and we lost a lot of that sharpness after making our substitutions because the replacements seemed to lose the ball too frequently. We also could have scored an absolutely hatful if we stopped shooting straight at McGregor. He made a number of saves but they were reaction saves to shot fired right at him. Pick a side, find it, and at least make the goalkeeper really work.

Ibrox will probably have a feral atmosphere, but lets go there, play with winning intent and be much more crisp and accurate with our chances. If we get the points in Glasgow and Napoli do to Ajax what they did to them tonight, then we'll have a 6-point cushion over Ajax and can guarantee qualification if we beat them again. First things first though.

15 minutes ago, mike23 said:

Hard to know what to make of it as Rangers just looked like a really poor team. Our finishing was really starting to do my head in and it felt like we'd have won by 6 or 7 had we really been at it. I was thinking we at least looked nice and solid defensively but then Rangers created several chances near the end. That clearance from Tsimikas was really impressive. I've no idea how he avoided scoring an own goal. But it would have been ridiculous had we managed to concede in a game where the opposition seemed to have very little interest in attacking for most of the night. Ajax getting absolutely stuffed by Napoli certainly helps us. I'm not sure if anything is really fixed after that but any sort of win can only help to improve confidence.

We are going to have to scratch and claw our way back bit by bit - this is a small step in right direction - the formation tweak for me is the way forward and hopefully we can start to get some rhythm going with it and build some fluency and understanding....which of course will then start to see better performances.

Hard to read too much into tonight against such mediocre opposition - but there were things to take away and build on...TAA being freer - Salah and Diaz being more involved - Nunez getting into decent positions....

I feel the tweak suits what we now have more and enhances players strengths and importantly does not expose weaknesses as much.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

We are going to have to scratch and claw our way back bit by bit - this is a small step in right direction - the formation tweak for me is the way forward and hopefully we can start to get some rhythm going with it and build some fluency and understanding....which of course will then start to see better performances.

Hard to read too much into tonight against such mediocre opposition - but there were things to take away and build on...TAA being freer - Salah and Diaz being more involved - Nunez getting into decent positions....

I feel the tweak suits what we now have more and enhances players strengths and importantly does not expose weaknesses as much.

Perhaps the best result and performance all round for what we need right now

Clean Sheet, forward line showing more fluidity, not much danger at the back and a couple of goals, most importantly 3 points

Had we smashed em 8/9 nil it would’ve paper over the cracked and maybe given the squad a false sense of improvement. Instead we finish tonight with a win and a step in the right direction with something to build on in the next game…. Rinse and repeat 

Just now, an tha said:

Yeah, hopefully that will be the case. Trent certainly looked happier tonight and Mo and Diaz at least seemed to be getting into more dangerous areas. I'm glad that there seems to have been a recognition that things needed to change in terms of the system rather than doggedly persisting with something that wasn't working. 

Just now, dandyman said:

Perhaps the best result and performance all round for what we need right now

Clean Sheet, forward line showing more fluidity, not much danger at the back and a couple of goals, most importantly 3 points

Had we smashed em 8/9 nil it would’ve paper over the cracked and maybe given the squad a false sense of improvement. Instead we finish tonight with a win and a step in the right direction with something to build on in the next game…. Rinse and repeat 

Deffo got to be case of clawing our way back bit by bit, building steadily and i do feel tonight from Klopp finally tweaking the formation that we have taken a first step in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, mike23 said:

Yeah, hopefully that will be the case. Trent certainly looked happier tonight and Mo and Diaz at least seemed to be getting into more dangerous areas. I'm glad that there seems to have been a recognition that things needed to change in terms of the system rather than doggedly persisting with something that wasn't working. 

Klopp actually said it about change before game.

Deffo better with 2 midfielders sitting and doing a bit of protecting and getting ball to the 3 in front of them supported by the full backs to do their thing.

I feel we can develop this to be a lot more solid and threatening and less predictable as we get more used to it.

A few of us on here have been calling for it all season - it just looks to me anyway as said that it suits what we have now better - trying to play how we used to when we had different players, players with different attributes and when players were frankly younger and more physically able to do certain jobs made no real sense to me.

33 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I stand by this.

Still, three points, clean sheet, no fresh injuries; I can't complain. (I'll save that for the next couple of league games.)

Is eleventy more or less than twelvety? 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Klopp actually said it about change before game.

Deffo better with 2 midfielders sitting and doing a bit of protecting and getting ball to the 3 in front of them supported by the full backs to do their thing.

I feel we can develop this to be a lot more solid and threatening and less predictable as we get more used to it.

I said on another thread having two wingers and two strikers is the way forward. It is Glasgow Rangers but it's a start.