You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

75qz6s.jpg

Hate the way that’s always misquoted.

The original line was ‘I’m gonna make them an offer they have to report to the shareholders though my understanding is the club and player will have final say in any potential transfer.’

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

We can write off signing Caicedo…

492180B0-F8B4-4FB9-9DA8-9B77D3DA7992.jpeg

Himself and Fernandez are going for silly post World Cup prices. That Brighton midfield is going to be picked apart. They may as well try and get £150m+ for him and Mac Allister.

It’s gone a bit quiet on Amrabat, but Kone was mentioned yesterday.

Anyway, we haven’t done too badly in terms of our second and third choices in the recent past. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Himself and Fernandez are going for silly post World Cup prices. That Brighton midfield is going to be picked apart. They may as well try and get £150m+ for him and Mac Allister.

Anyway, we haven’t done too badly in terms of our second and third choices in the recent past. 

To be fair, rumours were Brighton were asking for >£50m before the World Cup.

Allegedly he “only” earns £3.5k per week. 

I know it’s a sellers market etc, I struggle to see how they can ask for a premium price for somebody they certainly don’t give premium wages to. 

I’m not down with Armrabat. If he was early 20’s like Kone, Thuram, Caicedo etc, I’d be Ok with him after the World Cup. He’s 26 and had anybody ever heard of him before the tournament?

He strikes me as more of a #6, if we sign two #8’s, we then have Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo & Bajcetic as back up, he doesn’t feel necessary. 

We obviously desperately want Bellingham, were / are prepared to wait and seemingly doing all we can to convince him. I accept that. I do wonder why the second midfielder we want (ie the above named players or somebody new) weren’t signed in the summer? 

Brighton sold Bissouma, so I get they wouldn’t want to sell somebody else.

Did we want another season to evaluate Kone or Thuram or somebody else? 

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Brighton were always going to ask an absolute mountain for Caciedo, he's got another 3 years on his contract and is a key part of the midfield now Bissoumas gone(and having watched both extensively Caciedo is the better of the two imo), they don't need to sell and are well known for being tough negotiators when in that position.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

Brighton were always going to ask an absolute mountain for Caciedo, he's got another 3 years on his contract and is a key part of the midfield now Bissoumas gone(and having watched both extensively Caciedo is the better of the two imo), they don't need to sell and are well known for being tough negotiators when in that position.

Fair fucks to them. Their challenge will be attracting comparable replacements when they inevitably move on, but they won’t be short of cash to do so. I’d imagine their scouts won’t be shy of new job offers either.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

To be fair, rumours were Brighton were asking for >£50m before the World Cup.

Allegedly he “only” earns £3.5k per week. 

I know it’s a sellers market etc, I struggle to see how they can ask for a premium price for somebody they certainly don’t give premium wages to. 

I’m not down with Armrabat. If he was early 20’s like Kone, Thuram, Caicedo etc, I’d be Ok with him after the World Cup. He’s 26 and had anybody ever heard of him before the tournament?

He strikes me as more of a #6, if we sign two #8’s, we then have Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo & Bajcetic as back up, he doesn’t feel necessary. 

We obviously desperately want Bellingham, were / are prepared to wait and seemingly doing all we can to convince him. I accept that. I do wonder why the second midfielder we want (ie the above named players or somebody new) weren’t signed in the summer? 

Brighton sold Bissouma, so I get they wouldn’t want to sell somebody else.

Did we want another season to evaluate Kone or Thuram or somebody else? 

Not sure, hadn’t even heard of Kone until yesterday. I’d forgotten they also had Bissouma. Ridiculous group of midfielders. And Big Adam Lallana as mentor.

5 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

When can you buy someone out of their contract? I'm guessing it is the value of the wages to expiry which, if true, would amount to less than £500k for Caciedo right now.

Perhaps it can only happen in last 12 months of contract....?

Think it's the last year, but the player has to inform the club the week they enter the last year. Not sure its been done though,don't think it's s can of worms football wants to open to be honest 

43 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Not sure, hadn’t even heard of Kone until yesterday. I’d forgotten they also had Bissouma. Ridiculous group of midfielders. And Big Adam Lallana as mentor.

I’d never heard of Kone until yesterday either! To be fair, I only knew there was a midfielder called Thuram because I signed him on FIFA.

Lijnders said players we sign need to come in and be able to make a difference straight away. When we need 90+ points to compete for the title, its hard to disagree. 

If we’d have signed either of them, would they have made much difference this season? Or is this where Klopp’s comments on “risk averse” come in? 

I’ll still positive on what we can achieve in the 2nd half of this season, just very frustrating we’ve had injuries derailed us / taken a risk on continuing on our form from 21/22, which I do think was based on reasonably sound logic. 

A few rumours of us being interested in Enzo Le Fee. I thought he was a blag made up player like that Didier Baptiste from Dream Team that a few journos then reported and looked silly. Apparently he does exist and he plays for Lorient, he is similar in playing style to Thiago but ten years younger. Also wouldn't cost an absolute fortune.

Although I’d be happy with Caicedo or Fernandez, I struggling to get past us paying absolute top whack for players with c.20 games for both their clubs. 

While I get both are very hot properties (especially Fernandez), I think anybody who waited until the summer would get a more realistic valuation.

Bellingham is 2 years younger and played c.130 games for Birmingham, Dortmund and England. 

Fuck that Enzo lad off no way is his fee worth paying. Cat among the pigeons but I'd sell both Jota and Firmino. Jota seems to pick up too many injuries and Firmino will play less and less but I suppose with more options the less they have to play the less likely they may get injured. The whole intensity is our identity combined with a small squad means injuries are our identity. Buy quality midfielders and our current ones won't be run into the ground and we can fuck off the ones of no use.

49 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

A few rumours of us being interested in Enzo Le Fee. I thought he was a blag made up player like that Didier Baptiste from Dream Team that a few journos then reported and looked silly. Apparently he does exist and he plays for Lorient, he is similar in playing style to Thiago but ten years younger. Also wouldn't cost an absolute fortune.

I genuinely thought Enzo Le Fee was a cute nickname someone made up due to the asking price of Fernandez. Next you’ll be telling me we did actually have a midfielder on the books called Horrendouson.

4 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I genuinely thought Enzo Le Fee was a cute nickname someone made up due to the asking price of Fernandez. Next you’ll be telling me we did actually have a midfielder on the books called Horrendouson.

Lo Fee & Y-Mee signed for Everton.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Although I’d be happy with Caicedo or Fernandez, I struggling to get past us paying absolute top whack for players with c.20 games for both their clubs. 

While I get both are very hot properties (especially Fernandez), I think anybody who waited until the summer would get a more realistic valuation.

Bellingham is 2 years younger and played c.130 games for Birmingham, Dortmund and England. 

Caicedo fee won't go down unless he's goes to shit. Brighton are cash rich and don't need to sell. Enzo probably will as its a release clause. 

That's football now, Madrid are paying about 60ml for a 15 year old with a few hundred minutes of Brazilian top flight football to his name. And he can't even make the move for 3 years

Just looking at that caicedo lads wiki page. 

He's barely played any senior games before Brighton signed him.

How the fuck, does a micky mouse club of Brighton's size have scouts watching games in Ecuador when we don't. 

We really shouldn't be beaten to players like this, it seems mental when you see players moving for huge moves so quick into their senior careers