You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Fallen Angel said:

They got an FFP concession before they bought, as everyone in football was desperate to see the end of the Russian criminal before chicks came home to roost and shat in several bowls of porridge. 

Thanks, didn't know that. 

It makes a mockery though. They basically had a £1bn debt and are now spending money like it's going out of fashion. 

Arsenal have spent a few quid since we won the league. When you look at what we have achieved in that time FSG are doing us no favours by spending some of the money the club has earned, its time we fucking threw our weight around we are not FSGs little savings account. Our midfield is shite, its done we clung on too long ran them into the ground, it's absolutely vital we sign a midfielder or two this window because it needs doing its no longer being smart planning ahead! its paying up because we fucked up and have put ourselves in this situation. It needs doing soon before we run out of ground because at best there's 2 positions for top 4 available and at the minute United and Newcastle look a better bet than we do, if we drop points tonight or versus Brentford I think top 4 is more than likely gone. We have fucked up too many times already there is no room for more. Even v Villa who are shit they found it easy to cut through our midfield. We need energy in there, runners we've got a fiat 500 engine in  a super car.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Arsenal have spent a few quid since we won the league. When you look at what we have achieved in that time FSG are doing us no favours by spending some of the money the club has earned, its time we fucking threw our weight around we are not FSGs little savings account. Our midfield is shite, its done we clung on too long ran them into the ground, it's absolutely vital we sign a midfielder or two this window because it needs doing its no longer being smart planning ahead! its paying up because we fucked up and have put ourselves in this situation. It needs doing soon before we run out of ground because at best there's 2 positions for top 4 available and at the minute United and Newcastle look a better bet than we do, if we drop points tonight or versus Brentford I think top 4 is more than likely gone. We have fucked up too many times already there is no room for more. Even v Villa who are shit they found it easy to cut through our midfield. We need energy in there, runners we've got a fiat 500 engine in  a super car.

Arsenal haven't been in the Champions League for 4 years as well. When they are in it they usually go out in the first knockout round and they built a new stadium not that long ago.

We have a bigger fanbase and have regularly got to the latter stages of the CL and even earned more money from the domestic TV deal than the Champions. Yet we are constantly fed shit about how skint we are. Even after signing Gakpo there were a few articles about how the club was stretched financially to buy him.

Another case study proving we need three midfielders. Getting outrun by absolute shite out there today. Elliot injured now, he was so poor anyway but a warm body nevertheless. Keita is a dead weight and Henderson and Thiago will be fucked. Henderson, he needs his legs back.

Moises Caecido is who we need or equivalent.

10 hours ago, Code said:

Caicedo, one trick pony, gives away loads of fouls, gets carded loads, his passing is very restricted, gives next to nothing in the attacking part of the game in a team with ambition, not especially good in the air etc. 

Fernandez, a bit better, but the price is ridiculous. 

Caicedo is not a player for us. 

Just now, Harrison Booth said:

How many times have you seen him play?

i have to be honest, i only seen him play twice, once in that 3-3 game against us earlier in the season, and Ecuadors opening game in the world cup.

he never stood out in either game. But thats not saying much to be fair, 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

No one on here could have seen him more than a handful of times. He has only played 20 odd times in this league.

Unless you are a big Ecuadorian footie fan eh?

This is it, nobody on here should be in a proper position to say if he's good enough or not. 

11 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

This is it, nobody on here should be in a proper position to say if he's good enough or not. 

This is probably true but in reality the club have had 2 years or more to identify players to become the long term players in there. They probably shouldn't be relying on a sample size of 20 games to make those calls.

I doubt it will get properly questioned but if funds really are tight to sign players that leave us enough remaining funds to at least challenge for Bellingham,  you do have to wonder why the club waited to buy in an inflated post WC market. 

We know Bellingham is a target but who are the ones they have been properly researching to play alongside him in an ideal world? If we are struggling for Caciedo then clearly the plan wasn't Tchouameni and Bellingham. So where is the long term planning? 

19 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

I'd sooner try on a quick bid for Mac Allister - better value, more proven, top background, has more to his game. They won't sell both but if they could get decent money for him they might keep Caicedo.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They haven't until they sign Fernandez. Which they haven't yet.

I did warn everyone that Boehly will be by far the biggest swinging dick of any American owner ever.

Yes, but he is not stupid and will be expecting to make a good roi. We have been told it's just not feasible to do that, be interesting to see how they think they can.

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

This is probably true but in reality the club have had 2 years or more to identify players to become the long term players in there. They probably shouldn't be relying on a sample size of 20 games to make those calls.

I doubt it will get properly questioned but if funds really are tight to sign players that leave us enough remaining funds to at least challenge for Bellingham,  you do have to wonder why the club waited to buy in an inflated post WC market. 

We know Bellingham is a target but who are the ones they have been properly researching to play alongside him in an ideal world? If we are struggling for Caciedo then clearly the plan wasn't Tchouameni and Bellingham. So where is the long term planning? 

I'm not talking about the club, 20 games watching 1 player is absolutely fine to make a judgement on. I'm talking about us, none of us have seen enough of him to a make a decision one way or the other. Personally I think there is too much noise about Caicedo, if we were interested we would hear about it only after the clubs have agreed a fee.