You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elden Ring

8 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Finally got the stats to wield the Sword of Night & Flame, but it doesn't flame. Am I missing something? Could've sworn it was a fiery bastard.

I'm assuming it's same as all the other abilities hold or press L2 and then press R1 or R2.

41 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm assuming it's same as all the other abilities hold or press L2 and then press R1 or R2.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It's clearly working, as the damage and FP use shows, but the flame animation is absent. Just leaves a faint red line like a piss-weak lightsabre. Very disappointing in comparison to the YouTube videos of it.

27 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It's clearly working, as the damage and FP use shows, but the flame animation is absent. Just leaves a faint red line like a piss-weak lightsabre. Very disappointing in comparison to the YouTube videos of it.

Hmm, not sure if a patch has fucked the animation there then.

I've reached another impasse.

Fell I've done as much as I can in Limegrove, Stormveil, taken back Fort Haight & I can beat all the standard tougher enemies (big crabs, big guards and big guards on horseback) but no matter what I do, I cannot beat the dungeon bosses. 

Pumpkin Head, Patches, some big Wolf thing in Stomveil castle.... all just batter me. I've lost so many ruins in boss fights that I then can't get back. 

Do I have to just keep going round and round the same bits, killing the same enemies until I finally can beat one of the bosses?

30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I've reached another impasse.

Fell I've done as much as I can in Limegrove, Stormveil, taken back Fort Haight & I can beat all the standard tougher enemies (big crabs, big guards and big guards on horseback) but no matter what I do, I cannot beat the dungeon bosses. 

Pumpkin Head, Patches, some big Wolf thing in Stomveil castle.... all just batter me. I've lost so many ruins in boss fights that I then can't get back. 

Do I have to just keep going round and round the same bits, killing the same enemies until I finally can beat one of the bosses?

Wolf thing? Margit? The dude with the horns all over his face that slaps you around with his walking stick? He's a tough fight regardless. I had a summon and also used the NPC summon for him.

Pumpkinhead is all about getting behind him, as anything that hits the helmet does next to no damage.

Patches is just a classic spear fight, annoying, but if you have a 100% physical shield just hold it up and try to circle behind him. A backstab or two will get him to give up. Choose to forgive him and he becomes an NPC for the rest of the game.

Do you have the summoning bell? If not go back to the Church of Elleh at the beginning of the game and wait until night.  Being able to summon helps take the attention off you a bit in boss fights. The game is designed around this mechanic a fair bit (there are a lot of bosses where you face two bosses, and you need to even the odds). Possible to do without it but it makes things much harder.

Finally, if you just want to explore a new area, there is a path around the Eastern side of the castle that you can use to get into the next area.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Do you have the summoning bell? If not go back to the Church of Elleh at the beginning of the game and wait until night.  Being able to summon helps take the attention off you a bit in boss fights. The game is designed around this mechanic a fair bit (there are a lot of bosses where you face two bosses, and you need to even the odds). Possible to do without it but it makes things much harder.

Not sure on this bell you speak of. I have something that says it can summon multiplayers but it never seems to work.

I’ve got something where I can summon a wolf pack, an undead dog and some big cunt, but the last one never seems to work. 

Also, where is this big spear and big shield? I feel they would be greatly beneficial. 

Also, is there a better bow and arrow you can get? I like playing somewhat cowardly and taking people out from a distance. 

It’s a good game, I do like it, just wish some (ie a lot of it) of it was explained more. 

Planning a good few hours on it today to take my mind off this afternoon. 

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Not sure on this bell you speak of. I have something that says it can summon multiplayers but it never seems to work.

I’ve got something where I can summon a wolf pack, an undead dog and some big cunt, but the last one never seems to work. 

Also, where is this big spear and big shield? I feel they would be greatly beneficial. 

Also, is there a better bow and arrow you can get? I like playing somewhat cowardly and taking people out from a distance. 

It’s a good game, I do like it, just wish some (ie a lot of it) of it was explained more. 

The bold is what I'm talking about, it's missable so just wanted to check. 

Don't know which spear/shield you mean, there are loads you pick up over the course of the game. What's your main damage stat, Strength or Dexterity?

If you have a couple of stonesword keys, there is a good crossbow in the basement of roundtable hold. The standard crossbow bolts don't seem to drop off either, so you can hit stuff from miles away.

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Also, is there a better bow and arrow you can get? I like playing somewhat cowardly and taking people out from a distance

I play the same way. A staff and the Glintstone Pebble spell has carried me through most fights. That, and summoning.

Oh, and rune farming to over-level.

I could do with upgrading my weapon, it's only +3 but I definitely need more firepower now, I'm just a bit worried that if I use my somber stones, I may struggle later on when I change weapons and want to upgrade them. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Elite said:

I could do with upgrading my weapon, it's only +3 but I definitely need more firepower now, I'm just a bit worried that if I use my somber stones, I may struggle later on when I change weapons and want to upgrade them. Thoughts?

There are a lot more stones the further you progress. Only thing to consider is to get the right weapons for your build. I've done most of the game so far just with the bloodhound fang. I might have to swap it for another but it's now +10 and a beast as I upgrade strength and Dex.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I have four somber weapons at +9 at the moment and don't think I've even bought any. If you like the weapon then go for it. 

What is it?

Hit a brick wall in the abandoned cave, trying to get the gold scarab. The scarlet rot was wrecking me, and it seemed really inconsistent, the huge geysers sometimes didn't load in but were still hitting me. Then, summons wouldn't work, and there were no co-op players.

Great game, but I might go onto something else for a while. Hopefully it'll get a bit more polish and some solid servers.

17 hours ago, Pidge said:

I have four somber weapons at +9 at the moment and don't think I've even bought any. If you like the weapon then go for it. 

What is it?

Knights Greatsword with the bleed ashes of war.

Heard there's better swords out there though for my str/faith build.

I think lightning grease works on him. Lots of fire protection, the talisman, check if you have any fireproof livers, stuff like that. The damage in that second phase is ridiculous, better chance of avoiding it behind him. 

And there's an Alexander summon, if you have him up to this point.

• Upvote 1

Draconic Sentinel in the area after the fire giant. Toughest fight so far, so much bullshit. The lightning attacks even seem to get stronger as the fight goes on, got them down to about 10% and then they one-shot me at full health.

Dead now. 28k...

edit: also, just to let you know - for no real reason, obviously - there is a hole in the floor in the bossroom after the above enemy. Just to let you know. I definitely didn't sidestep into oblivion like an idiot just after summoning and buffing my weapon.

• Upvote 1

On 13/04/2022 at 14:46, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Hit a brick wall in the abandoned cave, trying to get the gold scarab. The scarlet rot was wrecking me, and it seemed really inconsistent, the huge geysers sometimes didn't load in but were still hitting me. Then, summons wouldn't work, and there were no co-op players.

Great game, but I might go onto something else for a while. Hopefully it'll get a bit more polish and some solid servers.

Still couldn't even use my spirit summons, so I over-levelled to buggery and brute-forced the fuckers.

I hate that cave so much.

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Still couldn't even use my spirit summons, so I over-levelled to buggery and brute-forced the fuckers.

I hate that cave so much.

Had missed this so just gone back to it. Well overlevelled but can see what you mean. 

Getting my arse slapped about by Heihachi from Tekken now.