You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

53 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I see ngolo kante is being linked with a move to arsenal. You'd have thought if Chelsea were willing to let him go, it should be enough to tell arsenal to stay clear. 

There was something in the Athletic saying that some players, including Kante, were finding their market limited because of them being unvaccinated.

Edit: Looks like both Kante and Loftus Cheek can't go on Chelsea's tour because they aren't doubled vaxxed.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

There was something in the Athletic saying that some players, including Kante, were finding their market limited because of them being unvaccinated.

Edit: Looks like both Kante and Loftus Cheek can't go on Chelsea's tour because they aren't doubled vaxxed.

What the fuck is wrong with these fellas. It's not like they're not surrounded by brilliant medical people whenever they want. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I see ngolo kante is being linked with a move to arsenal. You'd have thought if Chelsea were willing to let him go, it should be enough to tell arsenal to stay clear. 

Willian,Luiz third time lucky

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Didnt he sign a new contract, which would remove any previous agreements?

That wouldn’t impact any sell on clause we negotiated with City when we sold him. Us and I think QPR get a small development fee (if football manager is correct) but I wondered if there was any additional % that we negotiated at the time. 

2 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

That wouldn’t impact any sell on clause we negotiated with City when we sold him. Us and I think QPR get a small development fee (if football manager is correct) but I wondered if there was any additional % that we negotiated at the time. 

What Raheem Sterling Man City exit means for Liverpool as forward agrees Chelsea personal terms - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool aren’t likely to profit if Raheem Sterling leaves Manchester City.

The England international traded Anfield for the Etihad in a controversial transfer back in the summer of 2015, with the deal worth an initial £44m but having the potential to rise to £49m.

Seven years on and the 27-year-old could be on the move again, ahead of his contract expiring next summer, with the Manchester Evening News reporting that Sterling is closing in on a move to Chelsea after agreeing personal terms with the West London club.

It is claimed that Sterling, who has less than 12 months remaining on his deal at the Etihad, was convinced earlier this week by Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel that he should make the move to Stamford Bridge after receiving better assurances than City and Pep Guardiola could offer. Chelsea are set to agree a fee with the Premier League champions, which would now all but seal one of the most high-profile transfers of the summer.

Should City receive such a fee, they will make a comfortable profit on the player who has not always been guaranteed a starting role in Pep Guardiola ’s side despite scoring 131 goals in 339 games for the club and helping them win four Premier League titles, the FA Cup and four League Cups. Following the arrivals of Erling Haaland and Julian Alvarez, that is unlikely to change this season with Sterling a possible departure as a result.

Yet despite sell-on clauses being common practice in Liverpool transfer deals these days, the ECHO understands the Reds aren’t in line to receive any further payments from City should Sterling move on. That’s because such clauses usually only last for the duration of the original contract signed upon leaving.

The winger signed a five-year contract with City after leaving the Reds, before penning a three-year extension back in November 2018. As a result, Liverpool haven't been entitled to any fees from a sale since then.

10 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Pretty sure that's bollocks, although I'd still expect at least four more Echo articles about how clever we are for making that deal over the next day or so.

Yeah, I seem to remember reading we took a slightly lesser payment from a third party who bought the debt off Barca, so we could get a lump sum. It's probably them who are owed it.

The bolded parts got me really turned on. 

https://theathletic.com/3413073/2022/07/11/klopp-liverpool-midfield-signing/?source=user_shared_article

“I do not understand,” he says. “People told me about this discussion but the last thing that would have crossed my mind is that we have to do this (sign another midfielder).

“No, (we’re not looking to buy), I can say that. I don’t think something will happen in midfield. You never know, if somebody comes to me and says ‘I want to go’… but nobody came to me yet. If that happens, then we have to talk new. But if the situation stays like it is, then tell me why would we?

“We can go through it. Where do you want to start? So, Fabinho, (Jordan) Henderson, Thiago, (James) Milner, (Naby) Keita, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, Fabio Carvalho, (Alex) Oxlade-Chamberlain. Now you tell me what kind of player are we missing?”

….

Klopp adds: “I know all these things, that we don’t score enough goals from midfield, but what do we want? This ‘Golden Cow’ that is producing absolutely everything, milk as well!

“Do we want a midfielder who is offensive, 1.95m tall and arrives into the box to head balls in? Do we miss that? OK, apart from that!

“We have three players in the squad who can easily play as a No 6. Fabinho, of course, but also Hendo and Milly played it fine.

“Creativity? If we bring in a player just for that, we immediately make it more difficult for Harvey, Curtis and Fabio. They can all play different positions as well, of course: Curtis can play a line higher and Harvey and Fabio can play there, too.

“We can play a different system as well, where we might only need two midfielders, but then all these guys can play as a No 10 in the new system. So where is the need for a midfielder? The day when somebody comes to me and tells me why exactly…”

• Upvote 1

Effectively the same interview in full from the torygraph.

Having secured a potential club record signing in Darwin Nunez and finally ended the Mohamed Salah contract soap opera, Jurgen Klopp can be forgiven a degree of bewilderment at being pressed on the one deal he did not push for this summer.

An anticipated move for Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham never materialised, although Klopp - in jovial mood upon embarking on Liverpool’s Far East tour - was happy to explain the reasoning behind his reluctance to reinforce his midfield.

“He’s not on the market, so that’s the first problem with that player (Bellingham),” said the Liverpool coach, before adding, tellingly: “Well, the only problem with that player.”

Such an aside will not quell the suspicion that Klopp will be keeping a watching brief until such time England international Bellingham is available and affordable, possibly in the summer of 2023.

Advertisement

Until then, Klopp says criticism of his midfield options for the forthcoming season are ill-judged and, in the absence of a mythical ‘golden cow’, he will not strengthen the position yet.

“No (I am not looking to buy). I can say that,” said Klopp. “You never know. If somebody comes to you and says ‘I want to go’... but nobody came to me yet. If that happens then we have to talk anew. But if the situation stays like it is, then tell me why?

“I don’t understand. People told me about this discussion, but the last thing that would have crossed my mind is that we have to do this (sign a midfielder).

“I know all these things (are said) - that we don’t score enough goals from midfield, this and that - but what do we want? This ‘golden cow’ that is producing absolutely everything, milk as well!”

With that, Klopp extolled the virtues of each midfielder in his squad. “We can go through it. Where do you want to start?” he said.

“Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, Fabio Carvalho, Oxlade-Chamberlain. Now you tell me what kind of player are we missing? One who is offensive, 1.95m and arrives into the box to head balls in? OK, apart from that!

Advertisement

“We have three players in the squad who can easily play as a No.6 - Fabinho, of course, but Hendo and Milly played it fine.

“Creativity? If we bring in a player just for that, we immediately make it more difficult for Harvey, Curtis and Fabio. They can all play different positions as well of course, Curtis can play a line higher and Harvey and Fabio can play there too.

Fine. We can play a different system as well, where we might only need two midfielders, but then all these guys can play as a No.10 in the new system. So where is the need for a midfielder?”

The counter-argument is while Liverpool matched Manchester City’s move for Erling Haaland by signing Nunez, they failed to react to Pep Guardiola luring Kalvin Phillips from Leeds United.

To Klopp, that demeans the significance of his first signing of pre-season, teenager Fabio Carvelho, who he bought from Fulham.

“Fabio, you look at him and what he did at Fulham. Why should we bring a boy in and tell him he is midfielder number nine?” said Klopp. “It makes no sense. You have to leave the doors open for the boys. I really don’t understand the discussion.

“And we should not forget that last season, in the first four games, Harvey Elliott was the best player. He was outstanding. Then he had a bad injury, came back, (he was) high, low. Normal for a young player, and normal after a long injury. He looks sharp now, he’s back, and like everybody he needs luck.

Advertisement

“Curtis Jones - what a player he is as well. Oxlade played the first part of the season quite a lot, and in January played different positions. Yes, he didn’t play a lot after that but (remember) how good he was. By the way, Tyler Morton in training, incredible! He plays as a number eight  now, we don’t force him to play as a controlling number six in a Premier League game. He’s training as an eight, and it’s like ‘wow, how good is that?!’ He’s still here.

“We always try to improve, and we can improve internally as well. They (the young players) can put pressure on the more experienced guys, for sure.

“There’s really a lot of excitement for this situation from our side, and like I say, if you want guarantees then you have to look somewhere else. We work a lot with expectations, and our starting point most of the time is very, very positive.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/11/not-market-jurgen-klopp-explains-why-move-jude-bellingham/

• Upvote 2

I think these quotes makes it pretty clear how we operate. If there is someone we think is exceptional (Touchemeni) we go for them if the price and wages are affordable. If the stats shout out to us (plus Klopp and training team) we monitor and will buy if we can. We clearly aren't going to panic and buy a lesser player (for that position) if we can't get that guy.

I bet we already have 3 or 4 players we are looking at for next season, where the moneyball stato machine is highlighting a possible exceptional talent. Maybe Bellingham is one of them, and that's why we waited it out this year. 

I guess it's the right way for us now, we already have a world class team and don't want to fill it with shite because we panic and "possibly" need to fill a position. Klopp obviously wants to train and work with Elliot, Jones and Carvalho and give one of them the chance to snatch a starting position this next season. My bet would be Carvalho, he looks like he has the right amount of talent, decision making and self belief to make the next step.

14 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

When Klopp puts it like that I feel like I have been a cunt all along calling for another midfielder to be brought in.

He certainly makes a persuasive argument. I think a lot of the reason I wanted another new face is the shiny new toy mentality, buying something just for the sake of it, retail therapy

(and all of these things) etc. 
Most clubs including ours up to recently seem to buy up and coming talent and use them on the very fringes of the squad, but as Klopp seems to be saying, what’s the point in that? He must trust the young lads a lot. And for young players choosing a new club you’d look at maybe Rashford at United or Abraham at Chelsea or Phil Fodens hair and then at the opportunities given at Liverpool.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

They've got to Klopp.  No one is safe

You’ve gotta read between the lines.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

“He’s not on the market, so that’s the First problem with that player (Bellingham),” said the Liverpool coach, before adding, tellingly: “Well, the only problem with that player.”

“No (I am not looking to buy). I can say that,” said Klopp. “YoU never know. If somebody comes to you and says ‘I want to go’... but nobody came to me yet. If that happens then we have to talk anew. But if the situation stays like it is, then tell me why?

“I don’t understand. People told me about this disCussion, but the last thing that would have crossed my mind is that we have to do this (sign a midfielder).

“I know all these things (are said) - that we don’t score enough goals from midfield, this and that - but what do we want? This ‘golden cow’ that is producing absolutely everything, milK as well!”

With that, Klopp extolled the virtues of each midfielder in his squad. “We can go through it. Where do you want to start?” he said.

Fabinho, HenderSon, ThiaGo, Milner, Keita, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, Fabio Carvalho, Oxlade-Chamberlain. Now you tell me what kind of player are we missing? One who is offensive, 1.95m and arrives into the box to head balls in? OK, apart from that!

• Upvote 2

All klopp is saying is we'll buy someone if someone leaves. It's obvious we'd take a decent offer for Chamberlain, because the local hacks were pushing that line when the club were updating them at the end of the season. I don't think klopp is saying a thing we don't already know. There's only room in the squad for a new player if a current one goes. 

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

All klopp is saying is we'll buy someone if someone leaves. It's obvious we'd take a decent offer for Chamberlain, because the local hacks were pushing that line when the club were updating them at the end of the season. I don't think klopp is saying a thing we don't already know. There's only room in the squad for a new player if a current one goes. 

I agree most of it is not new info, and something that’s been discussed here plenty of times e.g., we have loads of midfielders, he wants to give the younger midfielders (Elliott, Jones and Carvalho) a proper go, and he doesn’t see it as a priority to invest at this point in time. 

However, I reckon that’s the first time we’ve seen Klopp mention the “new system” in public and to me that’s very exciting as I’ve been a champion of that system for years. It could give a new lease to Bobby’s career with us, to spend his 30s playing his natural position as a number 10, behind a proper striker. That opens up a whole load of options for us in the next transfer window too, for example Joao Felix becomes a real possibility. Exciting times. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

However, I reckon that’s the first time we’ve seen Klopp mention the “new system” in public and to me that’s very exciting as I’ve been a champion of that system for years. 

You have spent the last few months saying we have been playing it regularly. Now it's "new"?

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You have spent the last few months saying we have been playing it regularly. Now it's "new"?

I can’t recall saying that, and I quoted Klopp referring it as “the new system”. That aspect of the revelation is not really that interesting is it? Happy for you to delve into it further on your own if that interests you. 

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yes but even if Ox leaves I don't see us buying Bellingham. It has to be one out of Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago or Keita to leave. 

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I agree he has not said anything you wouldn't expect. The journos around the club have made it known they are after a strong, athletic midfielder and based on us competing for top prizes clearly they need to be quality for us to be interested. He is never going to come out and say we need a midfielder, it completely undermines the morale of the players we have.

The three things taken from that article is that we don't see Morton as a 6 anymore, the golden cow described was Bellingham and that he pretty much name checked Bellingham.

This from a guy that the journos say makes a point of not talking about the other teams players before a deal is done, with the only exception being Fabio when that deal was very advanced.

*I am not saying a deal for Bellingham is advanced.