You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Parkrun was running just fine. Mine has elite athletes, women in their 60s, and some people pushing their kids in a pram. It was inclusive already.

Lots of people who take part, at all levels, find motivation in beating their own times etc. I really don't see who is going to be put off by the fact some very good runners take part and want to see their times as well. I personally, couldn't give a fuck is some 20 year old is going round in 16 minutes, good luck to them.

Same. But also if that 20 year is basing their esteem in their level of running talent on the parkrun website it's the equivalent of a decent footballer tracking their teams Sunday league goal difference. 

Well done, you beat some hungover 17 year olds and 50 year old Gary the plumber who comes along out of nostalgia but had to put in 90 because their one good player sacked it off...

So many ways to track times if you want to. No idea why it's become an expectation for the organisers to do it for people when it's not a race, and especially no idea why those people should be expected to defend the validity of the outcomes. It's self-reported data largely, collected by volunteers, not the fucking Olympics. If you want to prove you're a good runner, go and do a properly structured race.

(I know this isn't necessarily you, but I know plenty of runners who got fit and then disappeared up their own arse with their new found competitive spirit so am venting)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Same. But also if that 20 year is basing their esteem in their level of running talent on the parkrun website it's the equivalent of a decent footballer tracking their teams Sunday league goal difference. 

Well done, you beat some hungover 17 year olds and 50 year old Gary the plumber who comes along out of nostalgia but had to put in 90 because their one good player sacked it off...

So many ways to track times if you want to. No idea why it's become an expectation for the organisers to do it for people when it's not a race, and especially no idea why those people should be expected to defend the validity of the outcomes. It's self-reported data largely, collected by volunteers, not the fucking Olympics. If you want to prove you're a good runner, go and do a properly structured race.

(I know this isn't necessarily you, but I know plenty of runners who got fit and then disappeared up their own arse with their new found competitive spirit so am venting)

Fair enough.

And there is no way I could be accused of having got fit.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

If you want to prove you're a good runner, go and do a properly structured race.

They cost money though and if you want to do it regularly then you'll need to travel around the country as there's unlikely to be one locally every week. Strange decision from Parkrun, I doubt anyone's going to be put off by someone from the local running club going round in super quick time, I certainly wasn't.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

They cost money though and if you want to do it regularly then you'll need to travel around the country as there's unlikely to be one locally every week. Strange decision from Parkrun, I doubt anyone's going to be put off by someone from the local running club going round in super quick time, I certainly wasn't.

If you want to actually consider yourself competitive then it takes some investment. Join a running club and, if you're really good, they will probably subsidise entry and support travel as they will want to raise their profile and attract new subs-paying members.

I don't buy the "off-putting" bit either (it would be very easy for parkrun to emphasise average finishing times, or percentiles, if that was the worry, giving people achievable targets). People were complaining about a free service and so now it's gone. Modern entitlement in a nutshell.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You could always have Paella without seafood(if vegan) or meat(if a veggie) no? It's basically a rice and vegetable dish.

Veggies don't eat seafood or meat. But the thing with vegetable options is they're often made with meat broths. Patatas bravas for instance almost always has chicken stock. Even with egg and chips I'm running a risk they're cooked in tallow, but a man gotta eat.

Things are better than they used to be, La Luna in Benijofar where I went last year even has a dedicated vegetarian menu, which is a first; on the other hand, there's a Chinese around the corner which has literally no vegetarian options (unless you count boiled rice).

Bit off topic this now I think, although I'm very much enjoying all the carnisplaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Daily Heil (with gobshites like GBeebies, Bill Cash and Reform dutifully barking along) have decided that this week the biggest threat to the country is vegan scones sold by the National Trust.  The Heil claim that not using butter is a Woke attack on our heritage (seriously) and that it's somehow both "virtue signalling" and being done "secretly".

As it happens, not only have the NT been using the same recipe for years, but...

Screenshot_2024-04-06-11-34-13-63_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5441013/National-pleasure-National-Trust-fruit-scones.html?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Daily Heil (with gobshites like GBeebies, Bill Cash and Reform dutifully barking along) have decided that this week the biggest threat to the country is vegan scones sold by the National Trust.  The Heil claim that not using butter is a Woke attack on our heritage (seriously) and that it's somehow both "virtue signalling" and being done "secretly".

As it happens, not only have the NT been using the same recipe for years, but...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5441013/National-pleasure-National-Trust-fruit-scones.html?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

In a similar sort of vein, this might be very funny- https://www.itv.com/news/2024-04-05/joe-lycett-reveals-hes-behind-multiple-fake-national-news-stories

Guy phoned up one of my work colleagues this week and asked if the shares he has invested in were woke.

When words lose all meaning and morons get involved.

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There’s an article calling yesterday’s earthquake in New York the Snowflake Earthquake because a few pollen got worried. You know being in probably the most built up city on the planet might not deal to well with the fucking earth shaking below it. It’s all a fucking agenda to play the left out as woke snowflakes. Yet they cry like Bambies mum just died when someone changes a colour in a tiny flag on the back of a footy top 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sir roger said:

Aye, definitely don't want to be investing in any of that woke alzheimers and cancer research, making people on the dole live longer.

All those virtue signallers running the London Marathon for charities ….. 

“Oh look a Kenyan won it, bloody woke rubbish get em out!” 

• Upvote 2

If you compare her to, say, Taylor Swift, you've got two successful, attractive, young, white, American women, neither of whom has notably taken much of a stance on any social or political issues.  One is hated by the Right, the other is their new darling.  What's the difference?

It really is all about the tit size with these weirdos.  Maybe it's because the only women they speak to are joyless misanthropic harridans like Truss and Hartley-Brewer, so they assume there's a correlation.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If you compare her to, say, Taylor Swift, you've got two successful, attractive, young, white, American women, neither of whom has notably taken much of a stance on any social or political issues.  One is hated by the Right, the other is their new darling.  What's the difference?

It really is all about the tit size with these weirdos.  Maybe it's because the only women they speak to are joyless misanthropic harridans like Truss and Hartley-Brewer, so they assume there's a correlation.

I agree with your point about them being fucking weird but Taylor Swift has come out in support of the Democrats on her social media in the last few years.