You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying things about Movies these days

JagSquared

10 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Rant away… the more specific the better.

I’ll start - endless reboots or sequels. I mean how many Halloween movies have there been now? Or how many fast and furious are we up to? Where has all the originality gone?

Yeah reboots piss me off. Another fucking Batman.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Rant away… the more specific the better.

I’ll start - endless reboots or sequels. I mean how many Halloween movies have there been now? Or how many fast and furious are we up to? Where has all the originality gone?

Movie franchises are nothing new. One of the earliest was Universal's The Mummy, featured in five movies between 1932 and 1944.

And not one franchise these days is as prolific as the various western series from the first half of the 20th century. They made 64 Durango Kid movies between 1940 and 1952, and 66 Hopalong Cassidy movies between 1935 and 1948.

Where's the originality? Well you won't find any if you look in the wrong places, that's for sure.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Movie franchises are nothing new. One of the earliest was Universal's The Mummy, featured in five movies between 1932 and 1944.

And not one franchise these days is as prolific as the various western series from the first half of the 20th century. They made 64 Durango Kid movies between 1940 and 1952, and 66 Hopalong Cassidy movies between 1935 and 1948.

Where's the originality? Well you won't find any if you look in the wrong places, that's for sure.

Ok I don’t know those movies or seen much before the 60s. It feels like the majority of major pictures are re-hashes or extensions of overly bloated films.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Ok I don’t know those movies or seen much before the 60s. It feels like the majority of major pictures are re-hashes or extensions of overly bloated films.

Okay, well this is the current UK top 10 at the box office

Rank 22-24 October 2021 Weekend total/ £ Cumulative total/ £
1 Dune (Warner Bros) 5,876,892 5,876,892
2 No Time To Die (Universal) 4,672,560 78,027,818
3 Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Sony) 2,470,169 11,193,195
4 The Boss Baby 2 (Universal) 1,193,115 1,193,115
5 The Addams Family 2 (Universal) 885,404 5,289,699
6 The French Dispatch (Walt Disney) 867,672 867,672
7 Halloween Kills (Universal) 771,657 3,195,777
8 Ron's Gone Wrong (Walt Disney) 562,540 1,789,254
9 Dear Evan Hansen (Universal) 236,397 236,397
10 Honsla Rakh (WHS) 78,150

Half of them are sequels or instalments in long-running series, and only one is a superhero film. That still leaves plenty of choice if you want something "original".

Also trailers for me

The intros they now do for them before they show the trailer piss me off each time. It’s a trailer within a trailer. 

I suppose it’s a reflection of modern society having lesser attention spans thanks to the internet / people watching them on their phones and needing to grab peoples attention, as you don’t get them in cinemas. 

Piss me off every single time though. 

The worst thing about movies these days is people who complain about movies these days, as if we don't live in a supremely exciting era for film.

If you can't muster up a bit of enthusiasm at a time when people like Guillermo del Toro, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Lee, Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes, David Fincher, Steve McQueen, Alejandro Inarritu, Darren Aronofsky, the Coen brothers, Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, Alfonso Cuaron - I could go on but I'm boring myself at this point - are churning out movies like there's no tomorrow, then there is. No. Hope. For. You.

Name a better cohort of directors at any period in time. I'll wait.

• Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Also trailers for me

The intros they now do for them before they show the trailer piss me off each time. It’s a trailer within a trailer. 

I suppose it’s a reflection of modern society having lesser attention spans thanks to the internet / people watching them on their phones and needing to grab peoples attention, as you don’t get them in cinemas. 

Piss me off every single time though. 

I think Django Unchained was the last film that I saw at the pictures. They don’t show trailers anymore? What about usherettes selling little tubs of ice cream?

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The worst thing about movies these days is people who complain about movies these days, as if we don't live in a supremely exciting era for film.

If you can't muster up a bit of enthusiasm at a time when people like Guillermo del Toro, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Lee, Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes, David Fincher, Steve McQueen, Alejandro Inarritu, Darren Aronofsky, the Coen brothers, Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, Alfonso Cuaron - I could go on but I'm boring myself at this point - are churning out movies like there's no tomorrow, then there is. No. Hope. For. You.

Name a better cohort of directors at any period in time. I'll wait.

Quentin Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, Martin Scorsese, Steve Spielberg, James Cameron, Spike Lee, Ridley Scott, Jonathan Demme, Tim Burton, Clint Eastwood, Frank Darabont, Robert Zemeckis in the early 90's. 

Glad you didn't have to wait too long. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

I think Django Unchained was the last film that I saw at the pictures. They don’t show trailors anymore? What about usherettes selling little tubs of ice cream?

They do still show trailers at the pictures. 

• Upvote 1

This is probably just me but the relationship between number of production companies or 'in association with' credits right at the start of a film, seems to give a clue as to how shockingly bad a film is.

I think the most I've seen is seven different firms involved in the production. Compare that to just two or three from most top-level films down the years.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Quentin Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, Martin Scorsese, Steve Spielberg, James Cameron, Spike Lee, Ridley Scott, Jonathan Demme, Tim Burton, Clint Eastwood, Frank Darabont, Robert Zemeckis in the early 90's. 

Glad you didn't have to wait too long. 

Almost all of those are still making movies...?