You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

People seem to forget that Mascherano was a flop at West Ham before he came here in January.

Different timing, different set up, different teammates.

Football is not complicated, but getting the best out of people is.

• Upvote 1

I hadn't heard of Sanches until he played really well at Euro 2016. He'd obviously had a very good first season with Benfica to earn a place in the Portugal squad, and then all of a sudden he's making a big-money move to Bayern. I think that move came far too early in his career and it might have been wiser to stay at Benfica for another couple of years at least. Benfica probably wanted the cash, although if they'd waited a year and he'd had another good season, they might have been able to get even more than £30m for him because the transfer market blew up following Neymar's world record move to PSG.

I haven't watched any clips of Lille so I don't know if he's finally showing the promise of 4 years ago or whether he's in the middle of a purple patch in a mediocre league. Getting him signed for £20-odd million makes it sound like a bargain, but he's probably still got the same issues with physicality, rawness and inconsistenly that are blighting Naby Keita at the moment.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think they paid 30m and are bleeding cash at this point - probably wont get all of that back under the current circumstances.

Lille got a new investor and President recently and they've said that they don't need to sell if they don't want to. I don't think teams will get discounts on players, but in these times, who knows. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Sounds like they are getting relegated if they don't come up with cash quickly 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/21/ligue-1-leaders-lille-title-relegated-psg

Yeah, there is uncertainty, but like I said, they have a new investor and recently have said some things where they seem confident they are fine. Guess we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

How are they skint when they shafted Arsenal for Pepe to the tune of €80m and sold that Osimeh for about €60m?. They always seem to sell their best players every couple of years and get in the Champions League most years. Are they run by Derek Hatton?

The reason they get all this money for players is because they were able to get Luis Campos to be Sporting Director a couple years ago, who is one of the best in the world. He's the one that was in charge of Monaco when they found all these top players and won the league. Despite this, they were almost relegated because of financial issues in 2018. It has been a recurring theme for them for some reason. Ownership has definitely been flimsy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Milan are interested in Luis Alberto of Lazio. Liverpool put a 30 per cent sell on clause in the deal when we sold him to Lazio. Lazio want about £45m for him.

They'll want to take him on loan, plus they get twenty million cash and get to sign him for thrippence at the end of the season. Tightwad cunts.

Liverpool are closing on their first signing of the January transfer window after reportedly agreeing a near £500,000 deal to sign Birmingham youngster Calum Scanlon.

The Reds are expected to have a relatively quiet January transfer window. However, they could look to bolster their defence if the right player comes on to the market. They have also been linked with a deal to sign Renato Sanches from Lille in an £18m deal.

However, they are ready to bolster their academy ranks too and The Times now reports a deal for Scanlon is close. They claim the Reds have agreed a near £500,000 package to take the 15-year-old to their Kirkby academy. Capable of playing on the left side of defence or in midfield, Scalon is seen as very much a future star.

A number of injuries this season has seen a number of Liverpool academy stars thrust into the first-team line-up. The likes of Curtis Jones, Neco Williams, Rhys Williams and Caoimhin Kelleher have all featured for the senior squad. Leighton Clarkson and Jake Cain have also made it into matchday squads.

And while Scanlon won’t be considered first-team ready for a few years yet, he is another one for supporters to keep an eye on.

With Liverpool short at the back, former Reds winger Steve McManaman has urged Klopp to sign a new defender in January. With both Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk looking at lengthy lay-offs, Liverpool have been short at the back. Midfielder Fabinho has filled in admirably. However, McManaman believes a top defensive signing must be made a priority in January.

“The only area where you would say Liverpool might need someone is in the centre of defence,” he said.

“People keep talking about the fact they let Dejan Lovren go and never really replaced him. That is true, but you don’t expect them to get two or three injuries in that one position.

“Would I bring someone in in January if I had the money to get a good centre half? The answer would be yes. But I don’t know what the financial situation is at Liverpool Football Club.

“If Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez are going to be out for significant periods of time, you can play Fabinho and Joel Matip there. Fabinho’s been excellent in the centre of midfield area and you’d be taking him away from there.

“So if you’re still in the hunt for the major competitions and you’ve got the finances available, I would certainly go out and try to buy a really good central defender. That would be a no-brainer for me. Then if you’ve got too many defenders you sort it out at the end of the season.”