You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They've always been cunts. I don't get how people can't see this.

As much as they are cunts, Klopp has a part in this too. As stated above, he's too loyal to his squad and has previous for leaving the squad short in certain positions.

Any other manager with our injuries would be chomping at the bit to get players in. I can tell you now, we won't sign anyone.

Don't think it's a loyalty thing. The balance of personalities in the dressing room has been carefully and painstakingly crafted, we don't seem to do quick fixes. Also, who's to say sufficient quality is available? Which centre backs are out there that are going go be available?

FSG took loads of shit in the summer but we invested in two world class players for big money, sadly they're both injured. 

We definitely need a new centre back, no doubt about that, but I don't see an argument that the squad has been neglected or that we've been complacent, we've just had ridiculous injuries and possibly the defensive quality isn't there in the market.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't look like anyone Premier league based would be joining us. We have been linked with Ben White but he would cost a fortune and he isnt that dominating in the air.  We've been linked with:

Eder militao from Real Madrid

Per Schurrs from Ajax

Sven Botman from Lille 

Upemecano and Konate from Liepzig 

Saliba from Arsenal but he has barely played for them.

Can't see us getting the Liepzig players as we play them in February, they are still in the top 4 of the Bundesliga and they would be very expensive. 

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't think it's a loyalty thing. The balance of personalities in the dressing room has been carefully and painstakingly crafted, we don't seem to do quick fixes. Also, who's to say sufficient quality is available? Which centre backs are out there that are going go be available?

FSG took loads of shit in the summer but we invested in two world class players for big money, sadly they're both injured. 

We definitely need a new centre back, no doubt about that, but I don't see an argument that the squad has been neglected or that we've been complacent, we've just had ridiculous injuries and possibly the defensive quality isn't there in the market.

Another superb positive net spend transfer window for FSG. Thiago was £5m up front and Jota's was 10% of fee up front.

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Another superb positive net spend transfer window for FSG. Thiago was £5m up front and Jota's was 10% of fee up front.

This is positive, you realize that right? Getting two top players without hurting the bottom line too much.

It would be a mistake not to buy a CB now because we have two season ending injuries at the position. It doesn't prove anything we did this summer wasn't correct, though.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Doesn't look like anyone Premier league based would be joining us. We have been linked with Ben White but he would cost a fortune and he isnt that dominating in the air.  We've been linked with:

Eder militao from Real Madrid

Per Schurrs from Ajax

Sven Botman from Lille 

Upemecano and Konate from Liepzig 

Saliba from Arsenal but he has barely played for them.

Can't see us getting the Liepzig players as we play them in February, they are still in the top 4 of the Bundesliga and they would be very expensive. 

To be honest the way we work now, I've got no idea who we'll sign and most journos don't either. We were linked with the likes of Werner and ended up with Jota, thankfully.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It makes total sense to buy a class, first team centre back this January, not just cover, because neither Gomez nor Matip, will ever be able to be relied upon for regular first team duties. 

It makes sense now, and it made even more sense in the summer.

Dont see it happening, I reckon Klopp prefers to use these situations to show he trusts the squad members. It’s a choice of strategy I guess, and Klopp’s approach has proven very successful. But I’ve been of thw opinion for a very long time that we’re one quality CB short. Ideally we should sell Matip and bring two new ones in.

That said, the lack of cover at CB wasn’t the reasons we gave away two points against WBA today, our lack of energy and intensity was. Probably caused by complacency or some sort of mental tiredness. We’re just not able to perform at the same high and consistent level this season as we did the two previous ones.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is positive, you realize that right? Getting two top players without hurting the bottom line too much.

It would be a mistake not to buy a CB now because we have two season ending injuries at the position. It doesn't prove anything we did this summer wasn't correct, though.

Not spending big during a pandemic with no timescale on fans returning wasn't a bad thing. Clubs will go to the Wall left right and centre the next couple of years.

Centre half situation is a real emergency.

We have to act now.....it just isn't gonna work hoping Matip can stay fit and denying the midfield Fabinho plus the kids as our options.

We are really risking a title challenge and European Cup challenge if we don't act....just can't get away with it over a long, long season in my view, it'll bite you in the arse just enough times to cost you.

Buy Matip's replacement and VVD's long term partner now...if Matip is available for a few games as well until end of season then its a bonus 

Then buy another centre half in Summer.

Go into next season with VVD, whoever we buy in Jan, Gomez and whoever we buy in Summer.

Given his frailties Matip is a great 3rd/4th choice. Fabinho is great to cover but we are robbing Peter to pay Paul moving him to defence. We took a gamble pretty season and it's backfired spectacularly. And I get that we have still done brilliantly to paper over the cracks and be in our current position. Owners need to pony up. 

And I think it's getting to Klopp too. He was fuming today with the injury. He's a miracle worker but the patchwork defence won't hold forever. 

9 minutes ago, KevieG said:

Given his frailties Matip is a great 3rd/4th choice. Fabinho is great to cover but we are robbing Peter to pay Paul moving him to defence. We took a gamble pretty season and it's backfired spectacularly. And I get that we have still done brilliantly to paper over the cracks and be in our current position. Owners need to pony up. 

And I think it's getting to Klopp too. He was fuming today with the injury. He's a miracle worker but the patchwork defence won't hold forever. 

Dont see how a player who normally isn’t available for selection can make a great 3rd or 4th choice. He seems also to get injured in training or at home or whatever as well as in games, so starting less games when fit wouldn’t mean he’d be available more often either.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Need to be lining up Salah's replacement this window or next then we can look at bringing in someone to replace Van Dijk.

Lose Salah and van Dijk to replace van Dijk? You're getting into some serious hindsight shit dude. 

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Lose Salah and van Dijk to replace van Dijk? You're getting into some serious hindsight shit dude. 

I'm dead serious - this current years team was built for success over the next two seasons and VvD and Thiago getting crocked has fucked the plan up massively. We may still be able to overcome it but not both in the league and Europe this season. We would have been strong favorites in Europe and the league without that.

Do you think Salah will be here at the start of the 2022 season? I honestly doubt it. At that point VvD is 32.

As odd as it sounds, Thiago was the Lovren replacement. The plan was always to move Fabinho back as we anticipated that he wouldn't get as much game time this season as Thiago would take his place in the team.

The Matip injury might force our hand in the transfer market now, but I still worry that we won't sign anyone.

We will know shortly, as it will be in the very early days of the window if we are signing anyone.

If it's a money issue, I would happily cash in on Origi and Keita in January and use that money for a centreback.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'm dead serious - this current years team was built for success over the next two seasons and VvD and Thiago getting crocked has fucked the plan up massively. We may still be able to overcome it but not both in the league and Europe this season. We would have been strong favorites in Europe and the league without that.

Do you think Salah will be here at the start of the 2022 season? I honestly doubt it. At that point VvD is 32.

This is going to get shot down like hot shit but I actually think we're a better team when he's not in the same side as Mané. If there was a guarantee that by selling Salah we would improve the defence I'd take that all day long.

Salah is a magnificent player but sometimes the team has to come first.

Virg is a player who I think will go on to high standards to his mid 30s.

To put it simply we need to clear out the sick notes. Gomez is a weird one as he just seems to get hit with some shitty injuries rather than consistently breaking down. 

For me Ox, Keita and Matip need to go. Shaqiri aswell but that's seems to be what the club wants. 

I'd probably add Milner to that aswell myself. Great player that he has been he has noticeably slowed down imo. 

Just the wages alone(by sportsrac) 

Milner 140k

Keita 120k

Ox 120k

Matip 100k

Shaqiri 80k

Over half a million a week on them 5 and barring Milner your lucky if they are fit for for 35/40% of our games. 

Edwards has done loads of great business but that's alot of waste

And it seems Gini is going and that's another 75k.