You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

8 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

There has to be a train to board. 

Hopefully there are leaves on the line and it never arrives.

Tarkowski is 28. He’s got very limited European and international football experience. He’s not particularly blessed with much recovery pace. 

He would also be coming from a side who’s defence set up is the complete polar opposite of ours.

Burnley rejected £31m from West Ham in the summer & rate him closer to £50m.

If that those are the ball park fee’s Burnley are looking at, it’s beyond excessive and I’d rather we spend a similar amount on somebody younger & more suited to how we play. 

The only benefit I can see in this is he’s English, good in the air and likes a long pass. 

But overall, I think we can do better - both in terms of quality and suitability.

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Hopefully there are leaves on the line and it never arrives.

Tarkowski is 28. He’s got very limited European and international football experience. He’s not particularly blessed with much recovery pace. 

He would also be coming from a side who’s defence set up is the complete polar opposite of ours.

Burnley rejected £31m from West Ham in the summer & rate him closer to £50m.

If that those are the ball park fee’s Burnley are looking at, it’s beyond excessive and I’d rather we spend a similar amount on somebody younger & more suited to how we play. 

The only benefit I can see in this is he’s English, good in the air and likes a long pass. 

But overall, I think we can do better - both in terms of quality and suitability.

If we are just looking for someone good in the air then we should just go with Nat Phillips. If he perfors well then we sell him in the summer for a decent amount, if he doesn't then we still sell him on for the few million we expected.

22 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

If we are just looking for someone good in the air then we should just go with Nat Phillips. If he perfors well then we sell him in the summer for a decent amount, if he doesn't then we still sell him on for the few million we expected.

Tend to agree. 

2 international caps in an position England are barely blessed in and only EL qualifier matches.

I know England isn’t really a barometer of quality these days (which could be even more damming) but even then, I don’t see any clamour for him to be in the squads.

For a lower fee I’d possibly accept it but I mean waaaaaaaay lower. I know I’m no football analyst but seeing a younger player, who is currently performing at a higher level (and I’d argue better suited) in Mings went to Villa for £20m, I’d be looking to spend less than that. 

If we’re looking at spending £30-£50m on somebody, I’m 100% sure we could do better all round. 

I hate the Echo, especially their daily Mbabbe stories, which when you read them doesn't even mention him. 

Today they are saying we've enquired about Ramos, fucking hell that can't be right. Unless its for Mo and the rest to spend a good proportion of their training kicking the bastard in the bollocks, I'm out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I think he's good , probably one of the reasons Burnley are still in the Premier League - and if they sell they'll probably go down. 

The fact he's hardly played for Ingurland means absolutely fuck all to me 

The actual playing for England doesn’t bother me either. 

The fact that, from a fairy limited pool, during his 10+ year career, he’s not recognised the’s one of the best players in his position, by multiple coaches, does mean something to me.

Especially if Burnley want £30-£50m for him. 

1 hour ago, Jedd Drudge said:

I hate the Echo, especially their daily Mbabbe stories, which when you read them doesn't even mention him. 

Today they are saying we've enquired about Ramos, fucking hell that can't be right. Unless its for Mo and the rest to spend a good proportion of their training kicking the bastard in the bollocks, I'm out

sergio ramos? he's available on a bosman in january, so i suppose might be available for a nominal fee. but it would be strange after the career he's had at madrid for him to slip out the side door quietly in january. 

someone on here mentioned he seems ideal for chelsea next summer to replace thiago silva. 

Burnley's current predicament coincides with Ben Mee's unavailability. Their only clean sheet so far came in his first appearance this season. I'd prefer him to Tarkowski, but would suggest neither of them are ideal for our playing style.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DaveT said:

Burnley's current predicament coincides with Ben Mee's unavailability. Their only clean sheet so far came in his first appearance this season. I'd prefer him to Tarkowski, but would suggest neither of them are ideal for our playing style.

But at least with him we can sing Ben Mee, shape me, any way you want me, which makes him worth it alone really. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, elvis said:

I think he's good , probably one of the reasons Burnley are still in the Premier League - and if they sell they'll probably go down. 

And for that reason, their valuation of him will quite rightly be more than any prospective buyers would be willing to pay. 

11 hours ago, DaveT said:

I still giggle when commentators say things like " Tarkowski passes to Mee".