You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) League Cup - 1/10/20 - 19:45

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

You all know that had we progressed tonight then we were at some point going to have to throw a load of kids out as the fixtures piled up. At least in that case no fans would be paying for it. Is my point. 

I'd have rather Klopp hadn't played any of the first team tonight. 

3 more games after tonight to win it spread over about 4 months.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Thought Neco was very good tonight. First few minutes aside he neutralised their one out in Pepe. Great response from him to all the dickheads giving him shit.

Yeah, played well after an early shake.  Helped him that Pepe is utter shite.

Well shiiiiiittt.

The media will no doubt call this an Arteta masterclass despite them yet again simply sitting deep and hoping to nick one on the counter. It's not just when they play us either, but is their general game plan. We used to do similar under Ged and Rafa but that was generally in European away games. To do it in virtually every game means that Arsenal are basically England in any major tournament, especially when they come up against somebody half-decent. Add to that the shithouse antics that nobody in the media picks up on, and it makes them a bastard to play against if you don't tear them a new one.

This was the first time under Klopp that we've failed to score 3 or more at home against Arsenal. We'd done so in the previous 7 games in all competitions, and in three of those we'd struck at least 4 goals. We failed to score at all tonight but that was a combination of our finishing not being clinical, Leno in the Arsenal goal keeping them in the tie, and a bit of bad luck. Some of our fringe players acquitted themselves well, and others have done little to stake their claim to remain part of the squad.

We've become a bit shit at penalty shoot-outs in recent years too, after going decades emerging on top. You see players stepping up and striking the ball cleanly, generally placing their shot well. But then there's always one who steps up and does the exact opposite, seemingly ignoring everything his teammates have been doing well. Yes there's pressure and it's nerve-wracking, but it shouldn't lead to players having a complete brain-fart.

There's no real fixture congestion avoided by going out because there was only one game in December, a one-off semi final in January and the final the following month for any team looking to go all the way. On the plus side, if it means Klopp can rotate players but keep the team close to full strength, then I'll take it.

Just use the anger that's there and take it out on our next opponent.

4 minutes ago, Trumo said:

There's no real fixture congestion avoided by going out because there was only one game in December, a one-off semi final in January and the final the following month for any team looking to go all the way. On the plus side, if it means Klopp can rotate players but keep the team close to full strength, then I'll take it.

Just use the anger that's there and take it out on our next opponent.

What if loads of our squad or an opponents squad get covid in the premiership? Are those games forfeit or postponed? If the latter then there may well be some fixture congestion. 

At the end of the day, wilson and origi are not good enough.

So thats why we lost tonight.

Shaq should have played, but JK doesnt like him.

we should put our best 11 out every game, in every competition, like we did in the 70's/80's

BUT THE GAME ISNT LIKE THAT ANY MORE.

No matter what you see in the ground or on the telly, no team can win everything they are in for.

Get over it, and get behind what we can win, and realise, not all of our team are good enough.

By that i mean Origi and keita and wilson.

That is thing about tonight Arteta will be lauded as some sort of tactical genius when in reality with a stronger team on park they were massively secind best to a liverpool team made up of players surplus to requirements and 4th choice in their positions.

I actually hope the cheats tear them a new arsehole.

Arteta can fuck off the negative, bitter little shithouse.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

They were still in it a month after they'd won the League Cup.

But didnt win it, probably due to fatigue \ fixture pile up \ player injuries.

Let's be honest, the League Cup has always been Liverpool's lowest priority. Im disappointed we're out, more the manner but as I said, we've far bigger fish to fry in my humble opinion. Both domestic cups are 2nd team trophies and have been for about the last 5 to 10 years.

30 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Maybe if Jurgen had played Shaqiri instead of Wilson we'd be through now.

Pisses me off that Origi and Wilson are played ahead of him and we are looking to sell someone is far more useful from reserves than them two.

Origi has done far more for the club than Shaqiri. It's not even a discussion. 

Great teams have a a certain shelf life and with Klopp signed up here till 2024 the league and the Euro Cup for me are and should always be the main priorities .

I thought we did well tonight were the better side and on another day should have scored another three at least . 
Monday was way more important than tonight as is the Villa match .
It’s quite funny that the League Cup is now massive for the likes of Arteta, Ole , Frank and Jose .

Oh how times have changed 

• Upvote 2

What the fuck was Origi doing on that pen?

Keeper has just made a save and you are 3-2 up with 2 left and you have chance to make it 4-2 and put them in can't miss territory.

Surely you go up and take an emphatic penalty, not some half arsed effort.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Nothing game and nothing competition. Takes games off of a hectic calendar. 

Three games.

What kind of shithouse is relieved that playing three fewer games and thinks that it's worth missing out on a trophy for it?  I'm certainly not and I'm guessing nobody at the club is.