You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) League Cup - 1/10/20 - 19:45

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But didnt win it, probably due to fatigue \ fixture pile up \ player injuries.

Let's be honest, the League Cup has always been Liverpool's lowest priority. Im disappointed we're out, more the manner but as I said, we've far bigger fish to fry in my humble opinion. Both domestic cups are 2nd team trophies and have been for about the last 5 to 10 years.

No doubt they're not the top priorities, but the idea that we should be blase about failing to win them is just wrong.

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

That Jota chance where he chested a pass into him past the defender before Leno saved was pure Fowler/Suarez. He’ll be a joy to watch. 

It was brilliant, and summed up succinctly as ever by Carragher as ' He gets a bit of luck with the ball going through the defenders legs '. Other than it not being lucky in the slightest and not going through the defenders legs, Carra is spot on there.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

That is thing about tonight Arteta will be lauded as some sort of tactical genius when in reality with a stronger team on park they were massively secind best to a liverpool team made up of players surplus to requirements and 4th choice in their positions.

I actually hope the cheats tear them a new arsehole.

Arteta can fuck off the negative, bitter little shithouse.

I dont think he will be lauded as a tactical genius. He played a strong team tonight, we didnt take our chances and 2 poor pens did for us plus Adrian being unlucky on their last one.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think he will be lauded as a tactical genius. He played a strong team tonight, we didnt take our chances and 2 poor pens did for us plus Adrian being unlucky on their last one.

The difference between that reality you mention and the media narrative is quite stark though.

3 minutes ago, MOGLET said:

35 goals in how many years?

Yes some very important ones I'll give you that.

But honestly, do you really think he is good enough?

No, his time at Liverpool should clearly be coming to an end. And despite not being in form or a good fit, he gets more game time than Shaqiri.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

No doubt they're not the top priorities, but the idea that we should be blase about failing to win them is just wrong.

Im not saying we should. Im just saying the League Cup has always been the lowest priority for this club. We didnt enter the first 2 seasons and Bill never got past the quarter finals in it.

Is someone going to tap Arteta on his plastic head and tell him that wasn’t our full strength side...

“I am really happy with the performance. I think the boys were exceptional. We corrected a few things from Monday and it was superb.“

"We competed much better, the level of aggression we had, the way we pressed them really high was exceptional.”

8 minutes ago, Stickman said:

It’s quite funny that the League Cup is now massive for the likes of Arteta, Ole , Frank and Jose .

Oh how times have changed 

In the last 6 years the only finalists from outside the "Big Six" are Southampton and Villa (because the FA/EFL basically gave them a bye in the Quarter Final).

City could equal two of our records this season - 4 consecutive wins and 8 in total - and it pisses me off.

How did we go so quickly from fans who had almost forgotten what winning trophies feels like to trophy snobs who don't get out of bed for anything less than the Champions League?

8 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Great teams have a a certain shelf life and with Klopp signed up here till 2024 the league and the Euro Cup for me are and should always be the main priorities .

I thought we did well tonight were the better side and on another day should have scored another three at least . 
Monday was way more important than tonight as is the Villa match .
It’s quite funny that the League Cup is now massive for the likes of Arteta, Ole , Frank and Jose .

Oh how times have changed 

Yep.You missed the Europa League for 2 of them there and solskjaer was in it last season and still couldnt win it.

I honestly believe if Trent and Robbo played tonight we would have won.

Is 3 games in a week too much for them this early in season?

I suppose we will find out next week when they are asked to play 3 shite international games in a week.....probably at a cost to us in our next game - The Derby.

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So you keep saying.  I'm less convinced that Jurgen Klopp is a shithouse.

Honest question. We've won the Champions League and Premier League with Jurgen Klopp, the two most difficult trophies to win. Do you think if he put his mind to it, we could also win a domestic cup? Or is it that he's not a good enough manager to do that? What is the problem, in your opinion?

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Honest question. We've won the Champions League and Premier League with Jurgen Klopp, the two most difficult trophies to win. Do you think if he put his mind to it, we could also win a domestic cup? Or is it that he's not a good enough manager to do that? What is the problem, in your opinion?

The "problem" is that until last season we never had a squad good enough to compete on more than one front.  (Remember on the run-up to the UEFA Cup Final and the Kiev final how we were fielding dreck like Dominic Solanke, Brad Smith and Kevin Stewart in League games.)  We've always had to prioritise.  That means using fringe players and until recently they were mainly poor.

Last season, we could have won this and comfortably won the league, except for the shitty scheduling fuck-up.  We also could have won the FA Cup - again, with no impact on our league title - were it not for an injury to Alisson.

Jurgen Klopp has never once fielded a side so weak that it can't win a domestic cup tie, when he has better players available.

I'd love to see his reaction if you were to say to him "You deliberately lose matches and I think that's just fine."  If you genuinely think he's not arsed, then there's nothing down for you.

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In the last 6 years the only finalists from outside the "Big Six" are Southampton and Villa (because the FA/EFL basically gave them a bye in the Quarter Final).

City could equal two of our records this season - 4 consecutive wins and 8 in total - and it pisses me off.

How did we go so quickly from fans who had almost forgotten what winning trophies feels like to trophy snobs who don't get out of bed for anything less than the Champions League?

Don’t think it’s being trophy snobs I’ve loved our League Cup wins I’ve even been to three of them . I actually think Klopp has taken it more serious than he as in the past this year with the picking of Van Djik and Salah 

Maybe if he had taken the FA Cup and League Cups more serious in the past he might have won a couple but he in doing so he might not have got top four in 2017 and everything that has followed on since resulting in the title but I guess we’ll never know .

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The "problem" is that until last season we never had a squad good enough to compete on more than one front.  (Remember on the run-up to the UEFA Cup Final and the Kiev final how we were fielding dreck like Dominic Solanke, Brad Smith and Kevin Stewart in League games.)  We've always had to prioritise.  That means using fringe players and until recently they were mainly poor.

Last season, we could have won this and comfortably won the league, except for the shitty scheduling fuck-up.  We also could have won the FA Cup - again, with no impact on our league title - were it not for an injury to Alisson.

Jurgen Klopp has never once fielded a side so weak that it can't win a domestic cup tie, when he has better players available.

I'd love to see his reaction if you were to say to him "You deliberately lose matches and I think that's just fine."  If you genuinely think he's not arsed, then there's nothing down for you.

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say he deliberately loses. But yeah, he's not arsed, don't know what to tell you. He played a kid in defense with one game against Lincoln and a midfield of Jones, Grujic and Wilson. I repeat, Jones, Grujic and Wilson. He patently doesn't rate two of those. Why did we even need to do that? We're in the beginning of a season. A season that started with a 5 month break. 

People keep mentioning city won a domestic treble so why cant we give the domestic cups more of a go. Fuck me, are people forgetting how they moaned at the money city have spent and the 'easy' draws they have had in the same domestic cups these last few years?

Jurgen got us to the League cup final in his first year. It's bollocks to suggest he doesnt care. Neither are we trophy snobs (sorry mate, you used the phrase), every team in England puts out weaked sides in these cups.

We've an away game at Villa on Sunday. They rested all the first 11 likely to play and guess what, they lost 1-0 tonight in the EFL Cup to stoke. arsenal play sheffield united at home on Sunday. On the face of it, they may have an easier game than us so could afford to play a stronger side.

I wonder what side arteta will put out against city in the next round just before Christmas and what his league team either side of the game will be? I reckon he'll go strong and fuck the league as he tries to win another domestic cup.

Id love us to do a clean sweep of all the trophies but Im realistic and know it isnt going to happen in a condensed season where players are expected to play shitty international games, possibly test positive for covid and miss games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say he deliberately loses. But yeah, he's not arsed, don't know what to tell you. He played a kid in defense with one game against Lincoln and a midfield of Jones, Grujic and Wilson. I repeat, Jones, Grujic and Wilson. He patently doesn't rate two of those. Why did we even need to do that? We're in the beginning of a season. A season that started with a 5 month break. 

The reasons for resting the first team in the league cup is obvious. More or less every PL team is doing it. 

• Upvote 1