You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 11/08/2020 at 11:08, M_B said:

According to CNN, the Russians have registered a vaccine. We're all saved.

And it must be ok, because Putin's daughter has had it. Although oddly, not himself.

What's odd about it? Nobody would fuck with Putin, not even COVID. If anything, the antidote to COVID is if it caught a nasty has of the Putin. 

5 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think it will be interesting, once people have stopped dying, to assess what approaches worked best, and why there were discrepancies from country to country.

I note that obesity is a major risk factor for covid, and Japan's obesity rate is 3.6%, against 28.7% in the UK and 42.4% in the USA. I'd start there if you're looking for explanations as to Japan's relatively low fatality rate.

Does anyone else listen to More or Less on R4? I love it. It investigates the statistical claims made on the news.

It was looking at obesity as a risk factor on this week’s programme and while there is a clear elevated risk with obesity, and the more so the heavier you are they concluded that it only accounted for about a 1000 of the excess deaths if I remember correctly

• Upvote 1

Just now, Champ said:

Does anyone else listen to More or Less on R4? I love it. It investigates the statistical claims made on the news.

It was looking at obesity as a risk factor on this week’s programme and while there is a clear elevated risk with obesity, and the more so the heavier you are they concluded that it only accounted for about a 1000 of the excess deaths if I remember correctly

Stop sending everyone cookies you evil witch 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Fair point that. You see Japanese people in their 80s doing tai chi and shit in the park, you go around Runcorn and there's blokes in their 30s with no heads riding around in disability scooters.

It's a fair point although to be pedantic    Tai chi is more of a Chinese art, t's the most practiced martial art in the whole of the east, a fusion between meditation and a fighting discipline,  kung fu originates from it. The Japanese mainly prefer Karate which is more physical and aggressive.  Tae kwon do which is an Olympic sport is Korean. That's not to say one is not practised in the others country but they mainly stick with their own heritage. Boxing is obviously British whilst kick boxing originated I believe in Tailand. Wrestling is British. Sumo wrestling is Japanese whilst American wrestling is shit.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

It seems all the lockdown relaxation that was due 2 weeks ago is happening this weekend. I'm surprised about that to be honest, I thought they'd sit tight till they got the kids back to school. 

A mate is a research fellow at Bristol Uni, he always said any second wave would be later than expected. 

It was only his idea and not medically backed but uni starting again and fresher weeks would cause a massive new spike. 

39 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's a fair point although to be pedantic    Tai chi is more of a Chinese art, t's the most practiced martial art in the whole of the east, a fusion between meditation and a fighting discipline,  kung fu originates from it. The Japanese mainly prefer Karate which is more physical and aggressive.  Tae kwon do which is an Olympic sport is Korean. That's not to say one is not practised in the others country but they mainly stick with their own heritage. Boxing is obviously British whilst kick boxing originated I believe in Tailand. Wrestling is British. Sumo wrestling is Japanese whilst American wrestling is shit.

I reckon the Greeks or the Romans might have something to say about boxing and wrestling being British there.

12 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I reckon the Greeks or the Romans might have something to say about boxing and wrestling being British there.

Yeah fair enough, I think boxing originated in Egypt but we refined it into the fighting weapon it is today. Just another thing our empire pinched and claimed.

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

She needs to have a word with herself. 12 days is absolutely fuck all!

It was tongue in cheek, but after months of being stuck in the house with a 2 year old and a 9 year old, another two weeks is not exactly a bowl of cherries.