You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah same mate. Its is all seriously messed up. Crazy when you look at other nations who have seemingly breezed through it with minimal impact. We are all over the place. 

Remember Boris actually got it himself, being cocksure that this disease was nothing to be worried about at all. Those days and weeks are why we are where we are.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah same mate. Its is all seriously messed up. Crazy when you look at other nations who have seemingly breezed through it with minimal impact. We are all over the place. 

Unless there is a silver bullet vaccine, which is unlikely, they have got it all to come. We've totally bumbled our way through this and it's been a shit show, but it might just be the most serendipitous shit show ever, as we could end up with a society and economy that doesn't need to be locked down for years. We have ultimately ended up where Sweden chose to end up, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That is where my suspicions lie. Surely they would have wanted to the numbers to be as low as possible for a while, which would have been easy as they could have just said that they would standardise with the other 3 nations... but they didn't do that, and that makes me very curious.

So the question is did they do this by design or because they’re incompetent? I’m inclined to think it’s the latter. 

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

In July there were 2324 deaths, of which 1600 would no longer count as Covid. That's huge! Just 743 met the standardised criteria.

Like I said, by releasing the figures using different measures they are just muddying the waters and now it’s almost impossible to get an accurate figure. Not 100% but I read yesterday they will also still release figures as they were with no end date between testing positive and dying which is absolutely mental if true. 

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Remember Boris actually got it himself, being cocksure that this disease was nothing to be worried about at all. Those days and weeks are why we are where we are.

It fills me with rage even thinking about the fucking cunts 

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Unless there is a silver bullet vaccine, which is unlikely, they have got it all to come. We've totally bumbled our way through this and it's been a shit show, but it might just be the most serendipitous shit show ever, as we could end up with a society and economy that doesn't need to be locked down for years. We have ultimately ended up where Sweden chose to end up, in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from and maybe I've been harsh on you and SD for having opinions that don't all of a sudden seem so far fetched (I still disagree and we will never agree on face-masks you pair of biffs) but its certainly something that could in the long term prove to be kind of right. 

I still think we went into lockdown too late. I also think masks should have been made a rule far earlier too. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Piss off then. When someone throws comments around implying they are so right about everything then it is only right to pick up on it. 

I don't think it's doing anybody any favours having to read the same shite every day. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It fills me with rage even thinking about the fucking cunts 

I see where you're coming from and maybe I've been harsh on you and SD for having opinions that don't all of a sudden seem so far fetched (I still disagree and we will never agree on face-masks you pair of biffs) but its certainly something that could in the long term prove to be kind of right. 

I still think we went into lockdown too late. I also think masks should have been made a rule far earlier too. 

Even Sharpiro thinks masks are a good idea, so I don't know what to think.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

we look fucked 

I think the normalization/acceptance of "it is what it is" and everyone is ending up in the same place is dangerous.

There are governments who did not come across as a clown show that have similar numbers.

How you got there is of utmost importance in judging the response - that is the same for the US and the UK.

Goes for Brazil too tbh - they may never recover

33 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They can fiddle with the figures as much as they like, we all know they badly mishandled it. Someone needs to ask Johnson why we have over 30,000 more dead than Germany which has a population of over 18,000,000 more than the UK.

Or Japan with twice the population and about 1000 deaths? 

I think it will be interesting, once people have stopped dying, to assess what approaches worked best, and why there were discrepancies from country to country.

I note that obesity is a major risk factor for covid, and Japan's obesity rate is 3.6%, against 28.7% in the UK and 42.4% in the USA. I'd start there if you're looking for explanations as to Japan's relatively low fatality rate.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think it will be interesting, once people have stopped dying, to assess what approaches worked best, and why there were discrepancies from country to country.

I note that obesity is a major risk factor for covid, and Japan's obesity rate is 3.6%, against 28.7% in the UK and 42.4% in the USA. I'd start there if you're looking for explanations as to Japan's relatively low fatality rate.

Fair point that. You see Japanese people in their 80s doing tai chi and shit in the park, you go around Runcorn and there's blokes in their 30s with no heads riding around in disability scooters.

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Of the three I know who’ve had it 2 have been very, very overweight.  The other was smoker but quite fit. Lots of the stories I’ve seen on TV have shown people with ‘no underlying medical conditions’...apart from being fucking massive! Anecdotal of course.  

54 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It seems like the overwhelming risk factors are by far advanced age and then being male (yikes). Obesity and co-morbidities are lower. The likeliest thing is, if you could protect the care homes, deaths are probably pretty low.