You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

43 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Which will give us about 18 months to save the planet.

The planet will be fine. May take a few million years to settle down but it will eventually.

IF climate change is limited to about 3 degrees warming, there will just be an unprecedented loss of human life, and that's probably not a bad thing. Because humans on the whole are complete cunts.

49 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Could the fact that he’s a man of colour prove problematic in winning back votes from the socially conservative electorates? The so-called Red Wall...

37 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I hate even beginning to agree with you here, it's such a fucking horrible thought. But, I have similar reservations. Same with it being a woman, actually.

Does it really need to be a white man to get Stoke and Barrow on board in sufficient numbers?

Fuck, please tell me I'm being paranoid. 

Obama was president of the US and I still think it’ll be a long time before they elect a woman. Lewis is more electable than RLB for me, Clive. 

It looks like Rebecca Long-Bailey is the favourite as the "continuity Corbyn" option, with Angela Rayner running as deputy on a dream ticket. Rayner seems quite capable, but Long-Bailey? I just don't get it. She reminds me of Bubble from Absolutely Fabulous. That pairing looks like a recipe for losing the next general election too.

Jess Phillips is an obvious non-starter. Emily Thornberry is probably the only candidate who could lose even harder than Corbyn; when Labour needs a leader who can win back working class voters, choosing someone who is openly hostile to them would be massive folly. Yvette Cooper has experience and gravitas, but no way are the membership opting to return to New Labour, even though she would be a better leader than any of the aforementioned. Clive Lewis always struck me as a likely candidate to take over from Corbyn, but is he too Remainy?

Labour members need to remember they're choosing a potential Prime Minister, not electing the leader of a student union. Keir Starmer seems head and shoulders above anyone else in that regard. Having a proper career before entering politics; unencumbered by any of Corbyn's baggage; a knight of the realm, so next-to-impossible to argue he hates Britain and its institutions. So he obviously won't win.

Finally, for a leftfield option: how about Ed Miliband? I guess he probably doesn't want it, but there have been less likely comebacks which worked out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

In other news i have noticed Starmer being tagged as Sir Keir of Brussels and a defender of nonces and terrorists on social media over the last few months - so it begins. 

And that’s a former Director of Public Prosecutions. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Obama was president of the US and I still think it’ll be a long time before they elect a woman. Lewis is more electable than RLB for me, Clive. 

It’s not really like for like though CT. US population is 72% white and 13% black, whereas UK population is 87% white and 3% black for one.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Wait, so Labour should woo back lost voters with more left wing politics, but as long as it's not delivered by a woman or a black man?

I think a woman is more electable than a man of colour in the UK. I don’t think the politics matter that much, I mean Corbyn’s policies were popular afterall according to the polls.

All the never had a female leader stuff, pushed by the conservatives as a stick to beat Labour with, will miraculously disappear as an important progressive requirement the moment Johnson is, to the vociferous backing of the zoo behind him, patronising whoever it is across the commons as being on her period and needing to be more rational.

Or having presented an argument about as well as she can reverse park. To a backdrop of the papers, Peston, Kuenssberg etc enthusiastically amplifying the message Labour need to find a less emotionally volatile, more stoic leader.

Much the same as Red Ed’s Britain-hating Jewish dad being fine to go to town on, before pivoting to Corbyn having written the original foreword to Mein Kampf within a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think a woman is more electable than a man of colour in the UK. I don’t think the politics matter that much, I mean Corbyn’s policies were popular afterall according to the polls.

It's difficult to argue with that, after all, some of the biggest election victories in the UK have been won by a woman. But you are hardly trying to attract the racist vote.

Also, far be it for me to dispute the popularity of Corbyn's policies, but I don't actually remember any party analysis after a crushing election defeat starting with our policies are fine, the problem was somewhere else. I get why that is but still.

I don’t think it’s 99% but I would hope it’s certainly a high figure in this day and age. 

The overall problem is that there are very few impressive politicians in this country no matter which party we are talking about.

People are mentioning Lewis and I like him and crucially I think he would not alienate either side of the party , but he had a bit of an issue recently of a #metoo kind and even though it was thrown out it would obviously resurface.

Was going to say I don't like that Lewis supports NATO but that'd probably be a fucking plus point to so many of the public so might not matter. Makes me wonder what he'd be like with foreign policy though.

As it stands I prefer RLB, purely because that's who Corbyn/McDonnell/Rayner support and she'll be closest to what Corbyn's views are. She'll also be Labour's first female leader, comes from the north to help relate to so many people that've gone to the Tories, has a background with a trade union and I didn't see a single thing wrong with her voting record (although I didn't spend ages checking and accept that I could've missed one or two things.)

But if we leave the EU then the pro-remain stances of Lewis and Starmer might not matter as much, so any of the three of them being leader could be hackable.

Think it's up in the air how many votes you'll need to stand, isn't it 10% of MPs and MEPs needed to nominate you?  I'm not sure exactly when the nominations will take place and if Labour will have any MEPs if we're out of the EU by then.

There is also the question of how many of the new MPs are of the Corbyn wing of the party, how many will follow union instructions or are anti-Corbyn etc..

Anyway I'd imagine around 20 are required to nominate you and I think Lewis has got absolutely no chance of getting that many nominations. He doesn't seem to be particularly liked by the Corbyn backing MPS or the anti-Corbyn MPs. Think he is a non starter personally.

I'll wait and see what everyone has to say and how they campaign but I'm strongly leaning towards Starmer for my vote. We have to be pragmatic and I'm not arsed about keeping the Corbyn project going or a continuity candidate, my overwhelming priority is picking who I think would best have a realistic chance of being PM and I think Starmer fits that a lot more than the others. I think RLB would be a disaster and almost guaranteed to give the racist cunt currently in number 10 another five years.

• Upvote 2

Couple of points, good ones;

• It doesn't matter who gets elected leader right now.  Labour may go through 2 or even 3 leaders by the time the next election comes around.  For that reason, i'm content for RLB to be front and centre as the caretaker manager, destined for the bin in 18 months time.
  • The less that Labour say, the better.  The Tories will lose supporters as each of their pledges falls away.  A bit like the Mourinho effect, the longer he's out of management, the more his stock rises as a manager. 
  • The Tories need a punchbag in PMQs, they will happily spend a day in parliament shouting jibes at Labour rather than admit they're crashing the economy and making people poorer.  I think Labour should stay away from PMQs, don't engage.  Yes, it's breaking with convention, but it's just convention, and it's utterly pointless, it just gives Boris a chance to spout shite to rapturous Tort applause.  Nah, don't give him the chance, make the people notice how little they have to say about their own policies and ideas. 
  • Don't underestimate the power of the British people to say one thing one day and then completely ignore it the next.  In 5 years time, Labour could have a Siberian Husky as Leader and would probably win the election. 
  • In order to do this, the last remaining chances of Lib Dem revival need to be fucking eviscerated.  5 years from now, the LDs and the Greens should be so marginal they might lose all their seats.  We can't allow this insane 3 pronged liberal parties situation to continue a second longer.  Labour should focus all their time, money and attention on reminding people, tirelessly, how voting for anything but Labour is basically voting Tory, or spoiling your ballot.  Look at the state of Swinson, couldn't even keep her fucking seat.  The utterly ridiculous big-titted unemployed dickhead. 

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

• It doesn't matter who gets elected leader right now.  Labour may go through 2 or even 3 leaders by the time the next election comes around.  For that reason, i'm content for RLB to be front and centre as the caretaker manager, destined for the bin in 18 months time.
  • The less that Labour say, the better.  The Tories will lose supporters as each of their pledges falls away.  A bit like the Mourinho effect, the longer he's out of management, the more his stock rises as a manager. 
  • The Tories need a punchbag in PMQs, they will happily spend a day in parliament shouting jibes at Labour rather than admit they're crashing the economy and making people poorer.  I think Labour should stay away from PMQs, don't engage.  Yes, it's breaking with convention, but it's just convention, and it's utterly pointless, it just gives Boris a chance to spout shite to rapturous Tort applause.  Nah, don't give him the chance, make the people notice how little they have to say about their own policies and ideas. 
  • Don't underestimate the power of the British people to say one thing one day and then completely ignore it the next.  In 5 years time, Labour could have a Siberian Husky as Leader and would probably win the election. 
  • In order to do this, the last remaining chances of Lib Dem revival need to be fucking eviscerated.  5 years from now, the LDs and the Greens should be so marginal they might lose all their seats.  We can't allow this insane 3 pronged liberal parties situation to continue a second longer.  Labour should focus all their time, money and attention on reminding people, tirelessly, how voting for anything but Labour is basically voting Tory, or spoiling your ballot.  Look at the state of Swinson, couldn't even keep her fucking seat.  The utterly ridiculous big-titted unemployed dickhead. 

Mate, you're wrong about absolutely everything in that post.

12 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Mate, you're wrong about absolutely everything in that post.

To be fair, Funnnneeee’s previous stream-of-consciousness political hot takes included being torn between voting UKIP or Tory in 2015 to spark a New Labour government backlash around about now, so it’s certainly possible this won’t be a laser-guided blueprint to follow.

To be equally fair, I used to espouse that I’d prefer an opposition standing for my absolute ideal programme of policies than a Labour government which compromises on any of its beliefs thing, and now we have Boris Johnson for 5 years, so, you know...live and learn.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

When you say "good" do you mean it has been independently verified?