You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last Album you listened to

Lee909

These three albums have been the last three that have been arousing my earlobes.

e6240a8e5f81941cae99278007c22db4.jpg

The first track off this album "I Have Seen" is one of my all time favourites because of the bass line. Really mellow and features Sia, who I believe has one of the best voices in music. Also the vocal harmonies she does with Sophie Barker are mesmerising.

7.50/10

c796cf12a3065231d31639e0e26e6523.jpg

Then the follow up with Tina Dico is just as mellow and just as good, but it hasn't got "I Have Seen" on it. Again great vocals with awesome harmonies. Great Sunday listening are Zero 7

7.45/10

And finally.

d562ed179ed4191abcd01510bef434cc.jpg

The dark, the moody and biblical stories of Dave Edwards of 16 Horsepower and now Woven Hand. Love the setting of this gig and the prophetic preaching feel to it. Doesn't have my favourite Woven Hand track, "Beautiful Axe" though.

8/10 from me.

Listened to The The's "Soul Mining" on the train in this morning, man, what an album that is. I never get tired of it.

As opposed to re-writing how i feel about it, i may as well copy and paste my own Amazon review.

"A lot of records come and go in my life, like everyone else (probably) i go through musical stages where something that i once cherished sooner or later becomes tired and clichéd. Soul Mining is not one of those records, it is a work of absolute genius from beginning to end and probably a contender for my favourite of all time. Studio jams apparently were behind the composition of both the opening "I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow (all of my Life)" and the closing 9 minute "GIANT", which in itself is astounding, given the complexity of both tracks, the first being a frenetic rhythmical beast, the latter a slow-burner that finalises in an almost ecstatic tribal beat. Both are astonishing, and alongside "Uncertain Smile" (with it's utterly glorious Jools Holland piano solo) rank as the peaks of a record that never once fails to grab your attention. People have moaned at the meagre seven tracks on offer, but it works in the format of vinyl more so any other, and the deluxe version is lovingly done, the extra 12" of extended mixes and singles is pretty impressive as well.

It's all the more remarkable when you consider that Matt Johnson was 21 when he recorded this album."

10/10 for the music and artwork combined

soul_mining_1382395148.jpg

I'm just reading Johnny Marrs book at the moment, he was mates with Matt Johnson when they were getting started, and nearly ended up being in The The with him. I've never really given The The much notice, but on the strength of your review I'll give soul mining a go.

• Upvote 2

I remember talking about this on here when I read it in December (Merry Christmas!).

Incredible to think neither of them where anywhere near starting in the music industry and they're sat together in a flat discussing the future.

I absolutely love The Smiths, but Infected changed my life.

Anyway, back to albums I am currently listening to (like Logo I revisited Soul Mining recently, and loved it).

Go Team:

thunder-lightning-strike.jpg

It's a grower.  I missed it first time around.

Still, not as good as

proof-of-youth.jpg

Which for me is a superb set of songs.

Great band.

• Upvote 1

I'm just reading Johnny Marrs book at the moment, he was mates with Matt Johnson when they were getting started, and nearly ended up being in The The with him. I've never really given The The much notice, but on the strength of your review I'll give soul mining a go.

Soul Mining, Infected and Mind Bomb are indispensable. Dusk is good, but not as flawless as those three.  

I remember talking about this on here when I read it in December (Merry Christmas!).

Incredible to think neither of them where anywhere near starting in the music industry and they're sat together in a flat discussing the future.

I absolutely love The Smiths, but Infected changed my life.

Anyway, back to albums I am currently listening to (like Logo I revisited Soul Mining recently, and loved it).

Go Team:

thunder-lightning-strike.jpg

It's a grower. I missed it first time around.

Still, not as good as

proof-of-youth.jpg

Which for me is a superb set of songs.

Great band.

I prefer the first one but they're both great. Good live too.

Soul Mining, Infected and Mind Bomb are indispensable. Dusk is good, but not as flawless as those three.

I think their finest material is on The Very Best Of The The.

Have an album of Hank Williams songs that they did but that's about it. Which is a better starting point - Soul Mining or Infected?

invsn-beautifulstories-cover-web.jpg

Just had this turn up through Spotify and it caught the ear so listening to it now, found out part way through that it's a Dennis Lyxzen band (Refused, Noise Conspiracy).  Thought I recognised the voice.  Yeah, enjoying it so far.  80s influences in there (not really my thing, The Cure and PiL aside), shades of Nick Cave in there at points (but not the gravitas), but all coming from that late 90s post-hardcore direction that Lyxzen helped mould.

Erm, 7/10?  Not heard a big tune to send it into regular rotation or anything, but I'm enjoying it.

Actually, 8/10 - bonus point for the X reference on the cover.

I think their finest material is on The Very Best Of The The.

Have an album of Hank Williams songs that they did but that's about it. Which is a better starting point - Soul Mining or Infected?

I would go for Infected first, myself.  Just because you really shouldn't wait a second longer.

Infected is a great album like.

Maybe see if you can get the full video version.

From wiki

Johnson and his manager Stevo persuaded CBS Records to advance £350,000 to make the videos, a then unheard of sum of money for a little known act.[3] The project began by filming a video for "Heartland" at Greenwich Power Station,[4] directed by Peter Christopherson, and then "Sweet Bird of Truth", directed by Mark Romanek. It was when Johnson and Christopherson flew to South America to film the videos for "Infected" and "Mercy Beat" that events started to spiral out of control. Filming in the Peruvian jungle in Iquitos, Johnson used the services of a local Indian tribe as guides. The Indians introduced Johnson, already an enthusiastic user of drugs, to the hallucinogenic concoctions used in their tribal rituals. The video for "Mercy Beat" captures a scene where during filming the crew were attacked by a rally of Communist rebel fighters, angry at the appearance of what they considered Western intruders. Johnson confirmed that the scene was genuine and unscripted, and admitted that at the time he was "so high", recalling the madness that had ensued: "Someone produced a snake which I was grappling with, and I hate snakes. A monkey bit me, and then me and this guy, who I'd only just met, cut each other and we became blood brothers, rubbing blood over each other's face, stuff like that."[6] "Infected"'s opening scenes picture Johnson strapped to a chair on board a boat sailing down a river in the jungle: Johnson said that he had wanted the opening of the film "to be like that Klaus Kinski movie Fitzcarraldo".[7]

After spending a month in the Amazon jungle, Johnson flew back to New York to shoot the video for "Out of the Blue" with Tim Pope in the Spanish Harlem district. In keeping with the song's lyrical theme, part of the video was filmed in a brothel next door to a crack house. The police protected the film crew until 1 o'clock in the morning, before pulling out saying they could no longer guarantee the crew's safety. The already tense situation was exacerbated by Johnson, who had been drinking heavily and had become progressively more aggressive, and provoked the crack dealers by throwing a bottle against the wall near them.[6] Johnson and Pope also shot the video for "Twilight of a Champion" in New York, which includes a scene where the singer places a gun loaded with live bullets in his mouth. Johnson explained his actions by saying, "I wanted to see what it felt like. To have all that power, to be so close to dying. It's incredible."[7] The final two videos for the album were filmed back in the UK, with "Angels of Deception" directed by Alastair McIlwain and "Slow Train to Dawn" directed by Pope. The video for "Slow Train to Dawn" features Neneh Cherry, who duets with Johnson on the track, tied to a railway line while Johnson pilots a train towards her. Pope later dismissed his work on the video, saying, "I hate that one. It's pretentious and kind of stupid."[6]

I have that video recorded off the telly.  After hearing Heartland, I just thought I'd chance it and risk a whole video tape.

Recorded off Channel 4 as a Tube special, I think.

Anyway, it stands the test of time for me, especially Heartland and Out of the Blue.