You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Virgil van Dijk hopes to be able to join Liverpool in January after Southampton refused to do business with the Reds in the summer.

The Holland defender was keen to link up with Jurgen Klopp, with the Merseysiders equally enthusiastic. But Liverpool were forced to issue a public apology and end their pursuit of the centre-half after the Saints objected to their advances

Van Dijk subsequently submitted a transfer request and went on strike to force a move but the south coast club stood firm.

The 26-year-old says he has “no regrets” over his actions, and spoke of his hope that the move could resurrected in the New Year.

He told Fox Sports: “Of course, I wanted to go one step up, but eventually Southampton did not want to let me go.

“I’m a professional, so now I’ll give everything to the club. Halfway through the season, maybe we can see what’s possible.”

This is going to be a more drawn out affair than Doctor Foster,with just as disappointing an ending.

There is so much optimism and expectation, that,whoever he eventually signs for,I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up struggling.

The new Michael Keane, if you like.

There's something wholly inevitable about this. From thinking that even £40m was far too much at the start of the summer, I've convinced myself that he's one of the best centre halves in the world and that he'll cure all of our defensive ills.

Think if klopp does spunk 60 mill on him that will be the ultimate ending of klopp

I'm struggling with "ultimate ending" . Suggests we have had some less than satisfactory endings already ! The club won't be buying VVD in January . I'm betting on the owners having reflected on the likely price tag and told Klopp to go shopping in Aldi

Van Dijk will not be the ending of Klopp if signed! He is a good player and would improve us at centre back. Pace, strength, decent on the ball, good at reading the game, great in the air. He ticks a lot of boxes for what our team needs and would be a good step in the right direction. I hope we can do it. As for the price, the world's gone mad, so no use complaining about that too much.

Van Dijk will not be the ending of Klopp if signed! He is a good player and would improve us at centre back. Pace, strength, decent on the ball, good at reading the game, great in the air. He ticks a lot of boxes for what our team needs and would be a good step in the right direction. I hope we can do it. As for the price, the world's gone mad, so no use complaining about that too much.

Never stop complaining Rev,especially when it comes to the unfair distribution of money in the world. I'd happily pay half of the price in question and give the rest to worthy causes.

Would the 70m have been worth the 7 points he no doubt would have prevented us from dropping.

He clears the last minute goal at Watford, he plays Joseleu well offside and sprints up and nudges Mane off course as he closes in on the City keeper.....

Cheap as chips  

I don't rate him and have been of the opinion that I rather we got someone else, as he will end up the new Lovren.

That said, I am now 100% against it due to his "one step up" comment. This from a cunt who has pretty much gone on strike to try and force a move to us, but seems to be suggesting that we are merely the next step in his progressing career.

Fuck off.

So the two best attacking sides in Europe in terms of goals scored/ chances created / possession also posess the best defensive records in terms of goals conceded- Barca & City.

Proof that attack acts as best form of defence.

We're probably the 3rd best attacking side in Europe, but unfortunately our defenders are gnash.

This is when Van Dijk comes in - covers the ( large defensive) space supremely and sniffs out danger.

I also have my doubts but it's why Pep paid £50m for Stones - and probably why Paisley broke our transfer record for Lawro (the only defender I've ever seen mark Kenny out of a game when Brighton came to Anfield after they got promotion).

For our all out attack minded team, this money makes sense for a centre back who has the athleticism to cover their glories.

• Upvote 2

So the two best attacking sides in Europe in terms of goals scored/ chances created / possession also posess the best defensive records in terms of goals conceded- Barca & City.

Proof that attack acts as best form of defence.

We're probably the 3rd best attacking side in Europe, but unfortunately our defenders are gnash.

This is when Van Dijk comes in - covers the ( large defensive) space supremely and sniffs out danger.

I also have my doubts but it's why Pep paid £50m for Stones - and probably why Paisley broke our transfer record for Lawro (the only defender I've ever seen mark Kenny out of a game when Brighton came to Anfield after they got promotion).

For our all out attack minded team, this money makes sense for a centre back who has the athleticism to cover their glories.

The pressing system does a great job of limiting chances, but the chances we do give up are often of very high quality. And unlike City and Barca, we don't have the capacity to control games and pin sides back, which severely limits the attacking capacity of the opposition.

I don't rate him and have been of the opinion that I rather we got someone else, as he will end up the new Lovren.

That said, I am now 100% against it due to his "one step up" comment. This from a cunt who has pretty much gone on strike to try and force a move to us, but seems to be suggesting that we are merely the next step in his progressing career.

Fuck off.

What else can he say though that isn't completely denigrating to Southampton at the start of a league season and where he doesn't completely fawn over wanting to sign for us?

"I still want to leave because this club is shit and going nowhere"

What else can he say though that isn't completely denigrating to Southampton at the start of a league season and where he doesn't completely fawn over wanting to sign for us?

"I still want to leave because this club is shit and going nowhere"

It's not a choice of saying one or the other though is it? If he does well here, if he comes, he will do it to us, but if he's shite here, we've wasted a load of cash on a cunt. I dislike him and he's not even here yet. It usually takes at least half a season for me to detest our own players these days.

I'm a moody, miserable cunt.

• Upvote 1