You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Pickford is a much better keeper than he's given credit for here. Much better. Despite all the talk about Hart and Heaton last season, I mentioned last season he was the only British keeper I would be happy with. Still would.Not that I thought he would cost that much.

As for the Mig vs Karius debate, I'm not playing that game anymore. They are both absolutely fucking atrocious. I would almost give the jersey to Ward by default. We need a new keeper and a new goalkeeping coach. Unfortunately, don't expect us to anything about it in January.

Pickford is a much better keeper than he's given credit for here. Much better. Despite all the talk about Hart and Heaton last season, I mentioned last season he was the only British keeper I would be happy with. Still would.Not that I thought he would cost that much.

As for the Mig vs Karius debate, I'm not playing that game anymore. They are both absolutely fucking atrocious. I would almost give the jersey to Ward by default. We need a new keeper and a new goalkeeping coach. Unfortunately, don't expect us to anything about it in January.

I think Pickford has tremendous potential and he's already pretty good right now. He's the perfect keeper for a club that wants to keep the ball and defend high up the pitch. 

England should have prepared to make him the #1 for Russia, no doubt about it. 

…and now is the time to give him a run.

We all know what Mignolet brings to the team, which IMO isn’t all that bad, but still not good enough. Let’s use this season to see if Karius can recover from his dreadful start of his Liverpool career.

If he can’t do it we need a new keeper for the title challenge next season.

Mignolet brings nothing, constantly rooted to his line, terrible distribution and saves fuck all Liverpool womens keeper couldn't.
  • Upvote 1

We know Mignolet isn’t up to the job. Drop him and sell when we have a chance.

We aren’t sure about Karius, at least I’m not, so he should be given the rest of the season. He had an iffy start but he needs a good run of games to show us he can claim the jersey. If he’s not up to it, he can leave with Mignolet and we then need to sign a clear number one, the best we can get. Ward can be no.2.

Mignolet should have reached the end of the line at Liverpool. We need to find out about Karius and have the rest of the season to do it.

• Upvote 1

…and now is the time to give him a run.

We all know what Mignolet brings to the team, which IMO isn’t all that bad, but still not good enough. Let’s use this season to see if Karius can recover from his dreadful start of his Liverpool career.

If he can’t do it we need a new keeper for the title challenge next season.

Karius has already been written off and you can hear the fans groan when he has the ball at Anfield. He even got barracked for not trying to score against West Brom! He could turn out to be a decent keeper in a season or two but its unlikely many will give him the chance to develop into one. God help us if Grobbelaar was a new young keeper in the modern age.

• Upvote 1

Way too much has been made of De Gea's struggles.

He was often very good during that first year - he stuffed us that year at home.

Never has Mignolet or Karius looked anywhere near even that first season level.

He did have problems in his first season, the thing about a problem is it's only so when something works to your detriment and then people who are able to benefit from that problem work it out and start using it to their advantage. De Gea's problem in his first season was that when a striker/midfielder/defender went up against him (for example, at corners/free-kicks/crosses) and made their presence known, he didn't know how to handle it as in Spain being in the slightest bit physical against the keeper will almost certainly result in a free-kick. However in England he was conceding goals and waiting for the whistle to be blown.

So he beefed up for his second season and anyone who tried to make their presence felt got the same treatment back. Problem solved.

What is Mignolet's problem? He is also quite weak when challenged and hasn't beefed up. He tries to save shots with one hand while going down to the ground. He bounces the ball back out in front of himself hoping to be able to stop any rebounds. These are all solvable problems and he hasn't tried visibly to solve the biggest ones of all. And so long as the opposition are able to exploit this weakness, it will continue to be a problem. I can't wait to see Swansea take long shots in the hope that (assuming he plays) he struggles to keep out long shots.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to honest and say that as much as I hoped he would be a good keeper for us he's even more unsuitable than Mignolet. We definitely need a new keeper even a gk who is currently number two at his club could be an upgrade on ours. Mind you a shed load of cash doesnt guarantee you anything much based on the City keeper's performance today.

Reminds me of the James / Friedel situation under Souness, James would play 20 odd consecutive games making howler after howler before he would get dropped for Friedel. Friedel would make one mistake and he was toast.

Mignolet is dead. Gone. Squished fucking pears.

Give Karius until the end of the season to prove us right or wrong. If he doesn't grasp the nettle by then and claim the goalie position unquestionably then spend big and bring in The Guy.

• Upvote 3

Reminds me of the James / Friedel situation under Souness, James would play 20 odd consecutive games making howler after howler before he would get dropped for Friedel. Friedel would make one mistake and he was toast.

Mignolet is dead. Gone. Squished fucking pears.

Give Karius until the end of the season to prove us right or wrong. If he doesn't grasp the nettle by then and claim the goalie position unquestionably then spend big and bring in The Guy.

He's not good enough. We all know it. Just get a good keeper pairing and be done with it.

Neither of them are good enough but Mignolet is better. Karius isn't going to do anything except continue to be shitter than Mig. He's had loads of games and he's been poor at least 80% of the time. Instead of the "let's see if Karius can step up" thing, which I do understand, I'd say "let's just play the slightly better keeper" and then get someone better ASAP

• Upvote 4

Mignolet is finished here. No point disenfranchising him yet though, as we might still need him this season. The way this is panning out is Klopp is having more of a look at Karius, just in case he can prove worthy.

Apparently he was good in Germany, so we signed him but then he was rubbish for us. Now we are easing him back in to see if he can show the sort of form that prompted us to buy him in the first place.

On today’s evidence, while it was very pleasing to get the win, the first goal wasn’t good enough. You can’t get beat at the near post like that. Close the gap, firm wrists, and block it away for a corner. Sane hit it hard, but it should have been saved.

The slight unfortunate thing for Karius is that while it blots his copy book, Gomez was at least as much at fault for getting under the ball just before that.

My best guess is Ward survives as a clear number two and both Mignolet and Karius are sold in summer, and we sign a goalkeeper to come in and boss it. Oblak preferred, but Alisson would be great too. We’d have to break the world record for either and put a real hole in the Coutinho money, but the team is getting so good now - especially once VVD and Keita are in place, that we really can’t have an iffy goalkeeper.

We want to be playing for the biggest prizes. The current goalkeeper situation is out of step with the way that the rest of the team is shaping up.

Why the fuck does he always seem to think he can just run after a ball and catch it? At least, Mignolet tries to put in a dive every now and then.

Reached a point where I would just give Ward the jersey so that we can at least confirm our suspicion that he is also shite. With Karius and Mignolet, we already have confirmation that they are pure dog turd.