You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Based on what? He certainly hasn't been better than Mignolet since he arrived here, hence spending the vast majority of his time sat on the bench, despite being signed specifically to be our new number one. His embarrassing attempt at saving the Spartak freekick is still worse than anything Mignolet has done this season.

Not sure - Watford away, he was poor for their equalizer, Hoffenheim at home he was poor for their goal, Leicester away he was poor for their penalty, Tottenham away he was poor for two goals, Stoke he was poor and should have been sent off.

Not really comparable to a shot he should have got. 

You can't underestimate the positive effect a calm and collected goalkeeper has on a team (look at West Ham the last couple of weeks since Hart was left out) in my mind neither Mignolet or Karius offer that. Mignolet never well, Karius at least has time on his side, but we shouldn't have to wait to find out. A top quality keeper would make a huge difference, and we comfortably have the weakest keepers amongst the so called "big six".

• Upvote 1

Our aim should be a keeper who dominates the area, distributes well, makes good saves most of the time and makes incredible, match-changing saves from time to time. We wouldn't be happy with a player in any other position who was just ok most of the time.

Donnarumma’s trying to get his contract annulled saying he was forced into signing. He’ll be at Juve or Real by the summer, it’s gotten way to toxic for him to stay there and the way the ultras have bullied an 18 year old youth team graduate is disgusting. It’s a similar scenario to Sterling here but the majority of Liverpool fans supported him till the end. I’m hoping he goes to Juve because if he ends up at Madrid then we’re fucked! De Gea stays at Utd for possibly the rest of his career.

Edit..the point I was trying to make was we’ve no chance of Donnarumma but if we have we should go all out for him, if not give Karius an extended run in the league he’s looked a lot better lately.

He has the potential to get better, Mignolet doesn't.

This about sums up the situation with our keepers at present. Potential versus an experienced and error prone veteran. I hope Karius continues to impress as he is much better than he has looked in his time here. Klopp is to blame really for raising our expectations and us not forgiving a young goalkeeper a few mistakes,much less than his experienced goalkeeping colleague.

Karius needs to be starting.

We've had 4 years (?) now of Mignolet, and it's clear he's rubbish. Karius may not be the next Buffon but at least he's not terrible. Even if he's just average it's a huge improvement.

Obviously in the long-term a new keeper should be a huge transfer priority, but for now, get Loris in.

• Upvote 1

Karius cant be judged unless he gets a run of games... at least 15 to see what he is capable of.

Ive seen more than enough of mignolet........

…and now is the time to give him a run.

We all know what Mignolet brings to the team, which IMO isn’t all that bad, but still not good enough. Let’s use this season to see if Karius can recover from his dreadful start of his Liverpool career.

If he can’t do it we need a new keeper for the title challenge next season.

We need to buy one of the best keepers in europe in January.

I'm certain this won't happen, as I can't think of a team who would let a top goalkeeper go in the middle of the season. Perhaps we could get Kepa Arrizabalaga from Bilbao, he's pretty good but Real are sniffing around and I don't know if he'd pick us over them. (Side note: maybe we should highjack this deal simply to ensure that Real take De Gea off United!)

However, for the summer GK should be our TOP priority. Forget a Coutinho replacement, I'd be happy to take half the money and go and get Oblak or someone like that. Goalkeepers are really hard to profile with stats so it doesn't surprise me that our analytics people haven't done as well there as they have with attackers. Just means that we have to go and pay serious money for the best, someone who has proven himself already.

I'd have Oblak first, but I think he'd cost £80m, even if we wait until summer. Atletico know what they have there and they will drive a very hard bargain. I doubt this, but I wonder if we could leverage Coutinho into getting ter Stegen in the deal? I'd take ter Stegen and £70m for Coutinho in a heartbeat. Or would we look at Leno or Perin again? Or could we somehow offer Donnarumma enough money that he'd leave Italy?

The other option I can think of is if Kepa were to do well at Real in the second half of the season (assuming he goes there), maybe Navas would be on the market? I have some doubts about him as a world-class-level player but he's miles better than Mignolet for sure.

Goalkeepers are really hard to profile with stats so it doesn't surprise me that our analytics people haven't done as well there as they have with attackers.

Why don’t they just use they’re eyes then?!

I couldn’t believe we signed Mignolet based on the fact that we had Rodgers who was adamant we played football from the back, including the keeper. Mignolet is one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen with the ball at his feet, and if he’d have been scouted properly this should have been obvious after a couple of games.