You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

I really struggle to understand why anyone would feel the need for further billions! 1 billion in the bank and life is shits and giggles.

Imagine how much good can be done with the rest. Each to their own, but I don't get it.

I don't think "need" comes into it. If I get a high score in a computer game, I still try to beat it next time. That's all life is, a game where everyone is trying to improve their high score.

Gates and his wife will be giving away at least 95% of their wealth to charity.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love being rich. A Villa in Spain, a Hareem, surgically enhanced 10 inch cock, coke on tap, no dress sense - i'd embrace it.

But i'd do so much for charity and good causes as well.

But the harem mainly.

Villas in Spain are more trouble than they're worth. Her family's villa flooded last year, took them months to fix the damage. Also the wifi is terrible.

You seem to be under the bizarre impression that I don't want to do anything about inequality.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with what Vince is saying. It makes sense to tax capital gains at a similar rate to income, it makes sense to tax unearned wealth (like inheritance) at a higher rate, and it makes sense to tax land based on its unimproved value. All far better than taxing people's labour in the form of income tax.

Either way, I am well used to being criticised on here for toeing the Lib Dem line, and I am well used to being criticised on here for not toeing the Lib Dem line.

I wouldnae worry, if there is one thing liberals love doing it's squeezing and contorting themselves into any mold but continue to state its exactly the same as the position they used to hold.

If there's one thing you love doing, it's raising more straw men than you would see at a scarecrow convention.

Everything Vince has said there is long standing Lib Dem policy. Land value tax has been a liberal cause célèbre since the days of Adam Smith.

If I have a business that makes me a billion quid but I'm not allowed to carry on earning money from it I'm going to close it. I'll likely try again but that's no comfort to the people who worked for me.

That wasn't my point. My point of view is that beyond a billion (less, truth be told), I see no need to accumulate more personal wealth (business being entirely different), so why not give away 35 billion out of your 37 billion fortune? I think you would struggle to spend a billion, you probably won't be able to spend 37 billion.

And the only reason to spend 37 billion (and lose it) would be in trying to make more than 37 billion.

I would argue that the lifestyle with one billion is more or less the same with 37 billion.

Questioning the need for accumulating billions is an entirely different argument from restricting wealth. Personal and business being two seperate arguments. A business needs finance to grow and therefore to contribute more to society, your own personal wealth contributes fuck all (tax depending, which is a lot if paud in full).

That wasn't my point. My point of view is that beyond a billion (less, truth be told), I see no need to accumulate more personal wealth (business being entirely different), so why not give away 35 billion out of your 37 billion fortune? I think you would struggle to spend a billion, you probably won't be able to spend 37 billion.

And the only reason to spend 37 billion (and lose it) would be in trying to make more than 37 billion.

I would argue that the lifestyle with one billion is more or less the same with 37 billion.

Questioning the need for accumulating billions is an entirely different argument from restricting wealth. Personal and business being two seperate arguments. A business needs finance to grow and therefore contribute mote to society, your own personal wealth contributes fuck all (tax depending), to society really.

ILL TELL YOU WHAT YOUR POINT IS!

(I think that's the way it goes)

• Upvote 1

Care to elaborate?

The way you're taught Empire was a good thing. Burning all records of Imperial crimes, acting like you gave colonies civilisation while starving and robbing from them. Acting like you gave the world English when it's not even the English of 1000 years ago because of invasion, not to mention its Indo-European roots. The bourgeois air of English superiority you like to convey. Acting like other nations just aren't as creative or as intelligent as you. Have more in common with America than you think. 

The way you're taught Empire was a good thing. Burning all records of Imperial crimes, acting like you gave colonies civilisation while starving and robbing from them. Acting like you gave the world English when it's not even the English of 1000 years ago because of invasion, not to mention its Indo-European roots. The bourgeois air of English superiority you like to convey. Acting like other nations just aren't as creative or as intelligent as you. Have more in common with America than you think.

From an Australian.

Questioning the need for accumulating billions is an entirely different argument from restricting wealth. Personal and business being two seperate arguments. A business needs finance to grow and therefore to contribute more to society, your own personal wealth contributes fuck all (tax depending, which is a lot if paud in full).

I agree, but it's a complete waste of time expecting the sort of people that accumulate this sort of wealth to give the majority of it away.

Just change the economic system so there aren't any billionaires.

Thanks mate.

I agree, but it's a complete waste of time expecting the sort of people that accumulate this sort of wealth to give the majority of it away.

How do you do that? Some people are always going to be a lot better at stuff than others.

Edit: changed my mind and I'm playing for us up front on Sat.

MONKMAN, Wolfson, Cambridge.

No. The answer is Family Guy!

The implementation of those extra Council Tax brackets would require a bigger investment in Public Services too. Yoi know the ones they helped to reduce ws part of a coalition goverment. Who'd have thought it,the Lib Dems trying to be more left wing? It must be popular!

It has to be done by statute,its the only way its ever had any success. As old Clement inferred earlier in the thread.

What if the rich then go on strike, hide somewhere in Colorado and let society go to the dogs?

Because by and large the rich do fuck all. Once they did, now the 'rich' don't invent, they aquire and invest. So if they went on strike, we'll just bring in scabs to do their jobs Ayrn.