You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

There is no coherent plan with this lot. First it was moneyball, which was a disaster.

Then it was nurturing youth and bringing in young players (or old heads on a free exclusively). Then they sold our best player and our best young player the following season and abandoned that idea just before we started winning things (with Suarez). 

Then it morphed into signing players from Southampton and that hasn't worked out in terms of winning things. Now it's sort of become a half way house between using Klopp's reputation to bring in Bundesliga players and persisting with the Southampton experiment. 

It's a mess. What is their angle in all this?

23912B3C00000578-0-image-16_141717016357

• Upvote 1

Well if that's the case why sign Klavan and Manninger then?

Are you implying that buying an emergency third choice goalkeeper and a 30 year old journeyman defender who wouldn't mind being a backup is a sign of the owners straying from their philosophy? That's really stretching it. 

Are you implying that buying an emergency third choice goalkeeper and a 30 year old journeyman defender who wouldn't mind being a backup is a sign of the owners straying from their philosophy? That's really stretching it. 

Klavan doesn't even play, Lucas plays ahead of him in central defence. Manninger...what was the fucking point there? We already had two keepers and he hasn't even played a single game.

We sign players like this every season. Lambert, Klavan, Manninger, Bellamy, Bogdan, Doni. They clearly don't fall into your 25 or under demographic. 

Klavan doesn't even play, Lucas plays ahead of him in central defence. Manninger...what was the fucking point there? We already had two keepers and he hasn't even played a single game.

We sign players like this every season. Lambert, Klavan, Manninger, Bellamy, Bogdan, Doni. They clearly don't fall into your 25 or under demographic. 

Lambert and Bogdan were obviously Rodgers signings and Klavan and Manninger were obviously Klopp signings anyways. Those names aren't being suggested by scouts or anyone associated with FSG. They are clearly exceptions to the rule and they're all signed as backups or emergency squad depth.

I'm still not sure what you're arguing though. Are those signings supposed to be proving anything?

Lambert and Bogdan were obviously Rodgers signings and Klavan and Manninger were obviously Klopp signings anyways. Those names aren't being suggested by scouts or anyone associated with FSG. They are clearly exceptions to the rule and they're all signed as backups or emergency squad depth.

I'm still not sure what you're arguing though. Are those signings supposed to be proving anything?

Lambert would've been suggested by scouts, he scored 13 goals and 13 assists that season for Southampton, he was one of their best players. Here's us scouting Bogdan in both legs of the game versus Bolton.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-scouts-impressed-bolton-keeper-bogdan-4060011

Every player we sign gets scouted. The sheer size of the data these clubs have at their disposal, you'd be foolish to assume it was just Rodgers saying "i want him" and it got done. These are not the exceptions to the rule, they are one of the elements of the rule itself.

Lambert would've been suggested by scouts, he scored 13 goals and 13 assists that season for Southampton, he was one of their best players. Here's us scouting Bogdan in both legs of the game versus Bolton.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-scouts-impressed-bolton-keeper-bogdan-4060011

Every player we sign gets scouted. The sheer size of the data these clubs have at their disposal, you'd be foolish to assume it was just Rodgers saying "i want him" and it got done. They're are not exceptions to the rule, they are one of the elements of the rule itself.

So what are you saying: That they also at times buy players who are a bit older to fill out the squad? Is this supposed to be a bad thing or an admission that their usual focus on buying young players is wrong?

I don't really get it. Do they need to buy only 21 year old's without exception and if they don't it's proof that they don't have a clear plan? Help me out here.

So what are you saying: That they also at times buy players who are a bit older to fill out the squad? Is this supposed to be a bad thing or an admission that their usual focus on buying young players is wrong?

I don't really get it. Do they need to buy only 21 year old's without exception and if they don't it's proof that they don't have a clear plan? Help me out here.

I'm saying their rule fucking sucks.

What I don't understand is how our scouts manage to unearth such utter dogshit on a regular basis. They're supposed to be professionals, but they're less good at spotting a player than I am. 

Something tells me that they haven't tried out for their 'being able to spot a half decent player who can pass a ball in a straight line' badge (Its an embroidered image of Sean Dundee with two left feet either side of him). 

FSG have no interest in winning shiny things. That would cost them too much money to sustain. They like us ticking along, making them money.

It's a load of shite and as they hardly set foot in the country and, unlike the last 2 twats, don't have to lift their heads above the water to look for investment, meaning it's harder for the fan base to have any effect on what they are doing.

• Upvote 2

The owners will make their money back when they sell the club, I don't think anyone would suggest that they're "making money" right now.  Certainly not in the sense that they're taking money out to put into their own bank accounts.

To the extent that people argue that the owners are "bleeding the club dry," what they usually mean is that they're not putting in an extra 50-100 million every season like the owners of City and Chelsea do.  Hicks/Gillett were bleeding the club dry, actively removing funds from the club's accounts to put it into their own.  This is completely different.

There is no doubt that FSG are after a profit, which they will get when they sell the club for over a billion pounds in a few years.  Of course, if we're CL regulars for a few years first it will inflate that amount by a few hundred million, so they have every interest in making that happen.  They're just not going to fund moves for the Griezmanns and the Pogbas of the world in the meantime out of their own pockets to make it happen.

Whether that's OK with you or not is largely determined by how you feel about the "sugar-daddy" owner option that Chelsea and City have.  If you think that's fine, then you're probably jealous of those clubs and hate FSG for not throwing money at the club.  If you're opposed to it, then you're probably OK with how FSG are running things trying to be successful against those clubs while spending less money.  And if you're really clueless, as a few of our fans are, then you think we should be able to fund mega-money moves for peak players from the club's own money like United do without the owners funding it.

And round and round the circle goes.

• Upvote 5

I have been pretty surprised that for all Klopps knowledge of German footy and his reputation that we haven't added more and better players from there so far.

Manninger and Klavan don't really count anyway.

I reckon its a combination of the Bayern factor(automatic CL football and trophies) and the Klopp premium(inflating prices because a club which is perceived to have loads of cash has a top German manager.)

I reckon its a combination of the Bayern factor(automatic CL football and trophies) and the Klopp premium(inflating prices because a club which is perceived to have loads of cash has a top German manager.)

Fair points...still expected more but time will tell if happens.

What I'd like to know is who are the people between the manager and the owners.If you are not going to do a Chelsea or either of the Manc clubs then scouting is crucial.Athletico,or even Southampton comes to mind,unearthing good players.Oh for another Geoff Twentyman.We don't seem to have good footballing people,it's all stats and stuff.Where is the swagger and attitude of the old days.First is first and second is nothing,now who said that.

• Upvote 1