You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Not sure about not being able to coach defending.  He got them to the CL final. No way would you get there without a Defence.

He is weaker on the defensive side. The Champions League knockout games they were in that year ended up as 'by the seat of ones pants' type ties. 2 conceded to Shakhtar, 2 against Malaga, 3 against Real, 2 against Bayern. In contrast Bayern conceded 3 against Arsenal, none against Juventus, none against Barcelona, and one in the final.

If you want even more of an idea how his defensive coaching is questionable, here's a quote from before this season, it's very Rodgers like in terms of acknowledging defensive issues, and the end result is similar too. "We should focus next season to concede fewer goals. We played great last season, but there's still plenty of room for improvement." Result? 19 goals conceded in 12 games, fifth worst in the Bundesliga.

Not that I give a fuck about his personal life but I'm not sure a large lump sum of money is going to make him any less appealing to the ladies.

Discipline is not an end in itself, only a means to an end. A professional life is built on personal life.

It's sad that this has turned out like this. Nobody could've predicted Sturridge would be out like he has been, and I'm fucking certain it's the only reason things have gone so badly. (and no of course I don't blame Sturridge.) Yes our defending is a fucking joke, but we'd probably have picked up several more points with Sturridge playing. Instead it's now looking really uncertain if Rodgers will be with us over the next few weeks, and after last season I just think it's shocking, and kind of a cruel turn of events.

I'm not saying he's not made mistakes, we all know he has, but I thought he could get through until January at least and then with Sturridge fit and another striker we'd be fine. Also : how is anyone else going to do much better with the same current strikers? We might be in for a bad ride until Jan at least, no matter who the manager is.

Rodgers has to solve our biggest problem and for my money that is stopping teams from just constantly hitting us on the break. It's dead simple playing us - get men behind the ball and wait for us to make a bad pass or lose it and then just go at us either with pace or with a ball that cuts out our midfield. Every week teams run at us and through us after we lose the ball, we always look stretched, I don't see another team in the league who get stretched as often and as badly as we do so regularly. Teams just run past and though us. Even when we stop then it's often at the expense of a free kick or corner from which we concede regularly

The other tactic is just to press us when we have it in our own half and make us go back to Mig who is just dogshite with his feet and then pressure the defender who has just received a bad pass from him.

It's that simple, no big tactical masterclass and Rodgers is doing fuck all to stop it. Stop it and we can then get a hold in games and work out our attacking game.

He sat down yesterday and listed what was wrong with us, I hope by 'too easy to play against' he was talking about the above, because until he sorts it we are fucked.

• Upvote 4

For anybody thinking about Rafa coming back, if I could be arsed searching I could link plenty of posts from his last 12 months saying exactly this.

Truthfully, if Rodgers went and I could have "good Rafa" back, the one who didn't have a beard, was always laughing and joking in press conferences, who built a team that gave us Mascherano and Alonso with Gerrard ahead of them setting up Torres, won us a European Cup and in doing so, gave one of our greatest players the consolation that he will have when he looks back on his career and doesn't see a league winner's medal, I might be interested.

Trouble is, that guy is dead. He was killed slowly over a period of months, maybe years, by Hicks and Gillett, stubbornness, shite transfers and ultimately, by his own hubris. By the end he was more concerned (or at least as concerned) with winning the multiple internecine wars he was fighting within the club than he was with winning football matches. To some extent that was a product of the completely poisonous atmosphere in which he was working at the time, but the manner of a death doesn't change the fact of it.

I'll tell you how it would go if he came back. In 18 months tops, the forum would be full of threads asking why we were signing our eighth £7m defensive midfielder when we desperately needed a quality striker, whilst Rafa played mind games with Ayre to try to free up another £5 that he could spunk on some left-back from Lithuania who we'd keep for 12 months and sell for £4.5m so that we could buy another, marginally better left-back from NAC Breda for £6m. We'd be in the Europa League, flying to the arse end of Russia for Thursday night games against some cunts from a tractor factory, playing three quarters of our league games on Sundays and all praying for that last big push to get 4th, the highlight of our fucking season. Meanwhile, the pavement outside the KFC on County Road would be awash with blood from all the forum straighteners that had taken place there.

No thanks. The past is better left in the past I think.

That's a brilliant post and sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Rafa deserves huge respect for his achievements with us and there is absolutely no doubt that the conditions he worked in towards the end were not acceptable.

There has to be balance though and the quoted post sums it up excellently I think.

• Upvote 1

...I'm not saying he's not made mistakes, we all know he has, but I thought he could get through until January at least and then with Sturridge fit and another striker we'd be fine. Also : how is anyone else going to do much better with the same current strikers? We might be in for a bad ride until Jan at least, no matter who the manager is.

A good post in full.

I think that it is in everyone's interests that Brendan recovers sufficiently to make it through to the end of the season.

You can recover, as BFS and LePardew have shown, but both have considerably more miles on the clock and experience to draw upon than Brendan.

Fate has decreed that our forthcoming games in the next few weeks decide our CL and LC progress culminating in a showdown with Arsenal and Man U in the league. An ideal chance for Brendan to show what he can do.

But Brendan cut a sorry figure on the touchline yesterday. he had the air of a man who couldn't work out where it was going wrong and didn't have the confidence in his options to put it right. In the past, at lesser clubs, George Burley and John Gregory had excellent single season PL campaigns only to be found wanting when the tide turned.

On the one hand Brendan is lucky that he is now in Bulgaria out of the media glare, but take a look at Ludogorets recent domestic form, they won't be lacking in confidence.

Rodgers has to solve our biggest problem and for my money that is stopping teams from just constantly hitting us on the break. It's dead simple playing us - get men behind the ball and wait for us to make a bad pass or lose it and then just go at us either with pace or with a ball that cuts out our midfield. Every week teams run at us and through us after we lose the ball, we always look stretched, I don't see another team in the league who get stretched as often and as badly as we do so regularly. Teams just run past and though us. Even when we stop then it's often at the expense of a free kick or corner from which we concede regularly

The other tactic is just to press us when we have it in our own half and make us go back to Mig who is just dogshite with his feet and then pressure the defender who has just received a bad pass from him.

It's that simple, no big tactical masterclass and Rodgers is doing fuck all to stop it. Stop it and we can then get a hold in games and work out our attacking game.

He sat down yesterday and listed what was wrong with us, I hope by 'too easy to play against' he was talking about the above, because until he sorts it we are fucked.

Also when we do have men behind the ball all the opposition has to do is lob a ball high into the box from anywhere and wait for us to fuck it up and give them a chance, it always coming and everyone knows it.

That's the huge problem. Teams can just waltz through us.

People will talk about goals and strikers but we need to address whats happening in the middle and defensively because we're going to keep losing games until we do. 

• Upvote 1

Sturridge is a loss, yes, but yesterday we did get a goal from a striker and never looked like scoring after that. Then Crystal Palace put 3 past us.

We get absolutely nothing from midfield, no goals, no resistance, nothing. Rodgers had two weeks to prepare and came up a 3-1 loss to Palace.

People will talk about goals and strikers but we need to address whats happening in the middle and defensively because we're going to keep losing games until we do. 

There is that old saying that games are won and lost in midfield and it's true, you win that battle you will be allright more often than not.

It's sad that this has turned out like this. Nobody could've predicted Sturridge would be out like he has been, and I'm fucking certain it's the only reason things have gone so badly. (and no of course I don't blame Sturridge.) Yes our defending is a fucking joke, but we'd probably have picked up several more points with Sturridge playing. Instead it's now looking really uncertain if Rodgers will be with us over the next few weeks, and after last season I just think it's shocking, and kind of a cruel turn of events.

I'm not saying he's not made mistakes, we all know he has, but I thought he could get through until January at least and then with Sturridge fit and another striker we'd be fine. Also : how is anyone else going to do much better with the same current strikers? We might be in for a bad ride until Jan at least, no matter who the manager is.

Even if that is the case, he's had the money to mitigate any long term absence.

Fairly apparent to most that Sturridge is a bit prone.

But Brendan did not spend well on attackers.

Sturridge cant be used to explain just how dreadful we have been all over the pitch.

I noticed that, his demenour was different than usual, especially when we went behind, sort of like it had finally hit him how much trouble he's in.

He shook hands with Warnock at the end and just stood there like an old man lost. He is done, his management speak will get him through pressers but on the pitch there's nothing. Someone really needs to put an end to this. Get someone in as a caretaker if needs be and then put in the DoF/coach structure they always wanted. The season has gone we won't win anything but we don't want it that we are looking from the relegation places up come January.

• Upvote 1

It happened regularly last season too but Luis made many on here look the other way.

If anyone dared to mention it after a gut wrenching 4-3, they got called a moaning TV cunt.

Or something...

• Upvote 2

It happened regularly last season too but Luis made many on here look the other way.

If anyone dared to mention it after a gut wrenching 4-3, they got called a moaning TV cunt.

Or something...

look, just because I like the feel on silk stockings on my thighs occasionally, there's no need to diss my lifestyle choices.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much spot on, there has been virtually no proper game management all year from him, much worse than the transfer debacle and that's saying a lot.