You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

5 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Completely different place but does anyone know where's good for a decent scran in Southport? Heading up there next weekend and trip advisors not that reliable I reckon 

THey've opened up a Baltic Market style place up there apparently. Loads of different street foods etc. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

THey've opened up a Baltic Market style place up there apparently. Loads of different street foods etc. 

I think that's the food and drink festival they had on this weekend. Was meant to go but ended up stuck in work

• 1 month later...

I went on one of Laurence Westgaph's walking tours of Liverpool's slavery history yesterday. I thought I knew a bit of that stuff, but it's absolutely eye-opening how wide and deep this shit runs. Also, he's an excellent host for that sort of thing (and, modestly enough, he didn't end it by saying "now piss off home and watch me on Sky Arts tonight".)

If you get any chance to do one of these, don't miss it.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2014 at 21:26, Mook said:

I love The Globe. Whenever I'm down I try to get a pint in there.

Maybe not off the beaten track so much.

Yeah, I like it in there, always have a few when I'm home, nice old sounds and no divvies. It used to be one of my Dad's locals when he could get into town, he was telling me it's been in the same hands since the 70s, same family maybe. 

I'll be in there next Monday hopefully.. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Gotta love News From Nowhere.

IMG_20220212_152618.jpg

On 23/09/2008 at 11:37, rb14 said:

Liverpool's best bookshop is News from Nowhere. It's a women's collective and should be everybody's first port-of-call. They have a second-hand and bargain books section.

Since 1981 they have tirelessly fought to maintain their independence including a huge campaign which enabled them to gain their own premises in Bold Street. These are women whose political drive and determination have enabled them to succeed where many others have failed.

I think they're inspirational. Please support them.

Can I claim the dirty thieving bastards' high ground? 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Doux Chaton on Renshaw Street. Vietnamese street food. Only been open 2 months. Tasty, and lovely staff. Can vouch for the below, and they bake the bread. 

C721D2AE-7565-4B5C-AB33-3006FA8814F1.jpeg

GenerousLittleAvians-size_restricted.gif

Wow. That looks superb. 

Menu:

https://www.ubereats.com/gb/store/doux-chaton-vietnamese-kitchen/ucDLSPFDVm6ijiHX55vUng

Will have to try there. 

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Turtle Bay on Victoria St is number 4 of over 1400 restaurants in Liverpool on Trip Advisor.

I'm hoping that says more about the goons who comment on TripAdvisor than the restaurants in Liverpool.  Turtle Bay is where kids go for the perennial happy hour cocktails.  Don't tell me, Nando's is 3rd?