You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I used to think that but it can, or a fair bit of it can anyway, our center backs are left exposed and put under pressure a lot more than they should be due to how Rodgers sets the team up, the more work they are asked to do the more likely it is that they will make a mistake.

Just say if we could cut the crosses into our box down from 8 per game to 5, obviously there would be less chance of a mistake happening, you could go on and on with things like that, if a top class DM was employed in front of them to protect them as a priority then that would also lessen the chances of a mistake from the center backs, we have recently seen proof of what a fairly standard DM in Lucas can do to help our center backs.

There was a stat (i know) a while ago that had Skrtel and Lovren as 6th and 7th in clearances made in the whole of the PL, the rest of the players on that list we're understandably from bottom dwelling teams, that stat really does tell a legitimate story.

I agree with you on the defence, the problem is lack of protection from a dm and a dominant Gk would also help.On mnf they were showing our cbs getting pulled apart at various times and being in the fb areas, with a proper dm this would not happen ss they would be covering the fbs when they get forward like masch used to do.

I was talking more about the attacking players and coutinho would be the biggest example, last season he was doing inch perfect passes and dribbling past 2-3 players with ease, this season he can barely complete a pass in the opposition half or keep hold of the ball.

That's the case with most our midfielders and attackers , Rodgers can not control this and I think it has to be down to a lack of confidence.

"Of the two boys that played today, Dejan was perfect - he's what we've been looking for since Jamie Carragher left. He's a very dominant centre-half. He'll go and attack the ball, reads the game incredibly well and you can see his leadership qualities with his talking and guidance of the back four."

Who said that and when?

You say that but im convinced that some people (mentalists) are happy when a player plays shit or we lose because it vindicates their opinion. Some people can't hold their hands up when they're wrong.

The fact that they're right, in this instance, really fucks me off

Much of the match threads are people basically riffing on their least favourite players, whether they're largely to blame or not.

Before he signed, I remember somebody posted a video of his display against Man Utd last season. They were discussing it on Sky Sports and kept showing how he took command in the defence, constantly asking his teammates to push out and hold their defensive shape to stop Man Utd from pushing them deeper and deeper. For that reason, and the fact he'd had a good season at Southampton, I thought we were getting a very good player for an exorbitant fee, one that understood the need for a team set up like ours not to sit too deep and invite pressure.

For whatever reason, Lovren just hasn't shown any of that for us. Whether he's being asked to play in a way that he's not comfortable with is not altogether clear, but he does need to stop giving off the impression of a dog who's already had his day. He's a bit like Skrtel in his early days with us, except that Skrtel had the likes of Carragher, Hyypia and Agger to play alongside and learn from.

I rate Lovren. I think he's a good defender but just the whole scenario of what's happening this season has got to him. He'll come good I know it. When you have leaders in the team, if you want them to lead it's helpful for them to have been around for a while and know what's going on.

He's being played in possibly the worst defensive line up (strategically) in the league. No midfield in front of him and nothing behind him - all this while he has the 'weight of the shirt' on his back with a £20m price tag.

I reckon this season is a write off for him and a bit of a break will help him. I still think he will come good and be a good signing for years to come. He quality is in him - he showed that last season .

I rate Lovren. I think he's a good defender but just the whole scenario of what's happening this season has got to him. He'll come good I know it. When you have leaders in the team, if you want them to lead it's helpful for them to have been around for a while and know what's going on.

He's being played in possibly the worst defensive line up (strategically) in the league. No midfield in front of him and nothing behind him - all this while he has the 'weight of the shirt' on his back with a £20m price tag.

I reckon this season is a write off for him and a bit of a break will help him. I still think he will come good and be a good signing for years to come. He quality is in him - he showed that last season .

That sounds like Neville Chamberlain's peace in our time speech

• Upvote 1

Hope you're right mate.