You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

You say that but im convinced that some people (mentalists) are happy when a player plays shit or we lose because it vindicates their opinion. Some people can't hold their hands up when they're wrong.

The fact that they're right, in this instance, really fucks me off

Theres the odd mentalist but the majority would far rather seem the team do well than win an argument. 

I'm disgusted with him at the minute, but if he suddenly turned things around, started doing the basics rights and started putting in even half decent performances I'd be delighted. 

• Upvote 1

Still think there is a player in there, somewhere. Brendan needs to try Sakho on the left Lovren on the right and see if that works. He's just got no confidence because he's being pillared every week and the managers shown no confidence in him.

We need to get Southampton's Lovren back, the one that would stride forward and take on players, the one that would attack corners and score goals from set pieces. 

Still think there is a player in there, somewhere. Brendan needs to try Sakho on the left Lovren on the right and see if that works. He's just got no confidence because he's being pillared every week and the managers shown no confidence in him.

We need to get Southampton's Lovren back, the one that would stride forward and take on players, the one that would attack corners and score goals from set pieces.

He did that for a couple of games at the start of the season and it was utter chaos.

Sakho got the blame and hasn't featured since

Still think there is a player in there, somewhere. Brendan needs to try Sakho on the left Lovren on the right and see if that works. He's just got no confidence because he's being pillared every week and the managers shown no confidence in him.

For that to happen we need Southamptons Wanyama and Schneiderlin in front of him. Or their equivalent.

Never gonna happen under Rodgers, who thinks that playing, or signing, commanding physical midfielders is somehow an admission of failure.

• Upvote 2

For that to happen we need Southamptons Wanyama and Schneiderlin in front of him. Or their equivalent.

Never gonna happen under Rodgers, who thinks that playing, or signing, commanding physical midfielders is somehow an admission of failure.

A good point, well made.

He's really, really bad, isn't he? He seems to struggle with everything, and his confidence is totally shot. Someone suggested putting Carra's brain in there, but he's turning slower than Hyypia ever did, so not sure that'll make a difference either. His clearance for their 3rd goal yesterday was something you'd expect to see on a muddy pitch between two conference sides.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Lovren's a strange one. He was clearly less error prone last season at Southampton, which has less to do with Southampton's set-up and more to do with him coming in and crumbling under the pressure of playing for a big club, dropping confidence, and then also being in a side that exposes the back four - more this season than before, because we've not got the ball in the attacking areas all the time.

In the first game or two he looked really decent here, and I hoped he'd settle and be a big player for us. At the moment, that looks ridiculous, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a new manager come in and for Lovren to be a significantly better player than he is showing at the moment. I'm of the opinion that you could put just about any player in this back four and have them look a tad shit. Plus, they're all in and out of the team all of the time. There's no consistency anywhere.

At one point it looked as if Agger was out for 12m and Lovren in for 20, which wouldn't, based on his form last season , have been a bad deal. I wouldn't have done it, because it seemed a strange thing to do whilst we already had Sakho. Spending that money on a LCB didn't seem all that sensible, regardless of who we got in. I think we should have spent the money on a top right back rather than Lovren.

That said, we shouldn't pretend that we've gone out and spent £20m on a shit player. We went and spent £20m on a player who had been playing very well, but is now playing shit. I think the defensive set up is fucking with our team quite a lot, this season more than previous season. Our midfield set-up is most of the problem with the defence, I think. They get no cover, they get no leadership from the keeper, the fullbacks aren't covered properly by midfield, because the players in there haven't got the legs for it. It's just fucked.

I posted a fair few times (Here, Here, Here, Here) about us not spending money wisely in the summer, because we weren't bringing in the required quality and that's quite clearly true now. It's compounded by us having Sturridge out, and Balotelli doing a Lovren and playing similarly wank football, despite not being wank players previously. Then there's the non-use of Can, which is strange considering we could desperately use some ground covered with youthful energy.

I think Rodgers is just about done, to be honest. Things aren't going to change the way we're going on. No settled back four or five, no settled midfield, no overarching style of play... none of the players are playing as well as they can. Allen, Henderson, Lovren, Mignolet, Coutinho, Skrtel, Moreno, Gerrard, Lallana, Balotelli. These players can add at least another 100% to their game. It's like they're all playing without legs. I don't think they're all bad, which some people on here jump on, but sometimes things just go stale. They're stale. I'm prepared to wait for some of those players to become better. All this talk of selling Lovren and Markovic (especially the young lads like Markovic) is way too premature. What's clear is we paid too much in the summer, and we didn't get anybody of top quality. Add Sturridge's injury to that and Rodgers chopping and changing and fucking about with everything, we're just wank.

• Upvote 4

Still think there is a player in there, somewhere. Brendan needs to try Sakho on the left Lovren on the right and see if that works. He's just got no confidence because he's being pillared every week and the managers shown no confidence in him.

Yep. He's shown the quality before, it's in him.

I'd get Skrtel out before I'd get Lovren out, because Lovren has a ceiling that Skrtel can only dream of.

Skrtel has been the constant in a wank few years for our defence. He's a fucking cowardly tit.

I'd get Skrtel out before I'd get Lovren out, because Lovren has a ceiling that Skrtel can only dream of.

Skrtel has been the constant in a wank few years for our defence. He's a fucking cowardly tit.

You and numero just both posted the worst pile of shite ive ever written

His clearance for their 3rd goal yesterday was something you'd expect to see on a muddy pitch between two conference sides.

That's genuinely unfair on conference players. I'd be fucking raging if our centrehalf did it down the park on a Sunday morning!

Fucking hell, it was awful.

"Of the two boys that played today, Dejan was perfect - he's what we've been looking for since Jamie Carragher left. He's a very dominant centre-half. He'll go and attack the ball, reads the game incredibly well and you can see his leadership qualities with his talking and guidance of the back four."

Skrtel has never been as bad as Lovren is now. And Skrtel has produced his best form for a club which Lovren clearly lacks the balls to play for.

I grant that our ultimate defensive problem is the system and the lack of quality in goal and midfield. (I've been saying this for ages.) But none of this excuses the level of consistent incompetence we've witnessed from Lovren.

• Upvote 3

Lovren's a strange one. He was clearly less error prone last season at Southampton, which has less to do with Southampton's set-up and more to do with him coming in and crumbling under the pressure of playing for a big club, dropping confidence, and then also being in a side that exposes the back four - more this season than before, because we've not got the ball in the attacking areas all the time.

In the first game or two he looked really decent here, and I hoped he'd settle and be a big player for us. At the moment, that looks ridiculous, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a new manager come in and for Lovren to be a significantly better player than he is showing at the moment. I'm of the opinion that you could put just about any player in this back four and have them look a tad shit. Plus, they're all in and out of the team all of the time. There's no consistency anywhere.

At one point it looked as if Agger was out for 12m and Lovren in for 20, which wouldn't, based on his form last season , have been a bad deal. I wouldn't have done it, because it seemed a strange thing to do whilst we already had Sakho. Spending that money on a LCB didn't seem all that sensible, regardless of who we got in. I think we should have spent the money on a top right back rather than Lovren.

That said, we shouldn't pretend that we've gone out and spent £20m on a shit player. We went and spent £20m on a player who had been playing very well, but is now playing shit. I think the defensive set up is fucking with our team quite a lot, this season more than previous season. Our midfield set-up is most of the problem with the defence, I think. They get no cover, they get no leadership from the keeper, the fullbacks aren't covered properly by midfield, because the players in there haven't got the legs for it. It's just fucked.

I posted a fair few times (Here, Here, Here, Here) about us not spending money wisely in the summer, because we weren't bringing in the required quality and that's quite clearly true now. It's compounded by us having Sturridge out, and Balotelli doing a Lovren and playing similarly wank football, despite not being wank players previously. Then there's the non-use of Can, which is strange considering we could desperately use some ground covered with youthful energy.

I think Rodgers is just about done, to be honest. Things aren't going to change the way we're going on. No settled back four or five, no settled midfield, no overarching style of play... none of the players are playing as well as they can. Allen, Henderson, Lovren, Mignolet, Coutinho, Skrtel, Moreno, Gerrard, Lallana, Balotelli. These players can add at least another 100% to their game. It's like they're all playing without legs. I don't think they're all bad, which some people on here jump on, but sometimes things just go stale. They're stale. I'm prepared to wait for some of those players to become better. All this talk of selling Lovren and Markovic (especially the young lads like Markovic) is way too premature. What's clear is we paid too much in the summer, and we didn't get anybody of top quality. Add Sturridge's injury to that and Rodgers chopping and changing and fucking about with everything, we're just wank.

Agger was getting bullied by any striker with pace and power and admitted himself when he left his body couldnt take the strains of playing in the prem anymore.

Lovren was a bad signing because we needed someone with a presence at the back and powerful.

Can has had an injury where he was out for a few weeks, he has looked at times clumsy on the ball and his strength is not the defensive side, he also looks like he couldnt complete 90 minutes and is always puffing hard.Id like to see him in ahead of henderson or even maybe allen on current form, but if the argument is to get more energy in the team both offer more then him.

Rodgers should not be done because players are going through a lack of confidence and form, the amount of easy things players are doing wrong can not be blamed on rodgers.

The players just need to get a good few performances to get confidence back and a pacy forward to work off and play balls through for.

Weve been through this process before where we have a good manager and as soon as theres a bad patch we get rid and start again, this strategy is not working.

Rodgers should not be done because players are going through a lack of confidence and form, the amount of easy things players are doing wrong can not be blamed on rodgers.

I used to think that but it can, or a fair bit of it can anyway, our center backs are left exposed and put under pressure a lot more than they should be due to how Rodgers sets the team up, the more work they are asked to do the more likely it is that they will make a mistake.

Just say if we could cut the crosses into our box down from 8 per game to 5, obviously there would be less chance of a mistake happening, you could go on and on with things like that, if a top class DM was employed in front of them to protect them as a priority then that would also lessen the chances of a mistake from the center backs, we have recently seen proof of what a fairly standard DM in Lucas can do to help our center backs.

There was a stat (i know) a while ago that had Skrtel and Lovren as 6th and 7th in clearances made in the whole of the PL, the rest of the players on that list we're understandably from bottom dwelling teams, that stat really does tell a legitimate story.