You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squeeze

Redder Lurtz

Saw Glenn Tilbrook in New Brighton the end of last year & he was very good with all the classics covered.

The last time before that on the Academy he barely covered any Squeeze songs so maybe there was a legal issue that had been sorted since.

Once told the missus that I had earmarked ' Some Fantastic Place' as her crematorium song & got a frosty glare. Its a brilliant choice , I'll never understand women.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Heard good things about the new album SV, what did you make of the new stuff ?

It's rather good mate - they managed to jam a few of them in between the classics - tilbrook's voice is still fine and his guitar playing still unbelievably good. Lucy's married to Steven Large, the keyboard player - he's a lucky bastard

Anybody go to the Phil in the end, a bit of a strange review in the Echo saying it was all a bit low-key & Tillbrook stormed off because of some technical issues !!

Yes, I was there and I have to say that to suggest "They lost audience after Glen Tilbrook walked off in a strop over some sound issue which seemed to be affecting the live recording for the DVD. After that it took a while to get the crowd back." is complete bollocks, for a number of reasons.

After the first two songs, which sounded fine to me up in the Circle, I believe a problem developed (or had become exacerbated) with Tilbrook's electric guitars, so he apologised to the crowd for the "technical difficulties" and wandered off the stage with the rest of the band to return "as soon as possible". No strop whatsoever and nothing to do with the recording for the CDs that were being made available to buy after the gig.

They ended up only being off for a couple of minutes, as they came back on to play a couple of songs fully acoustically whilst the problem(s) were sorted out before reverting back to the setlist, which mixed the past hits with about 2/3rds of the songs from the new album - the main reason for the current tour in the first place, as opposed to merely being "a celebration of the classics", which were pretty much all present and correct in any case.

I'd personally disagree with the show being "flat", but I had the advantage of already having heard the new songs as I'd bought a limited edition advance version of the new album about a month ago. The vast majority of the crowd (and the reviewer, it seems) were only really there for or interested in the obvious old stuff, which is a problem a lot of 'veteran' bands suffer from - Madness being a prime example in my experience.

Overall, a solid 8/10 for me.

• Upvote 2