You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

9 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

I thought it was fantastic.

It's not "The Wire" but that's not what they were aiming for anyway with only six hours to tell the story.

It was more like a documentary, for me, with the interviews taking the place of narration, interspersed with the "actual footage" of the events they were talking about.

I'll watch as much of that as they want to make.

It was great. 

The time jumps were the only problem, but that type of police corruption story has already been told so well over seasons of The Shield that Simon couldn’t really go any longer. 

This is the addendum to The Wire that the drug war was inevitably leading to.

Speaking of Simon, the first few seasons of Homicide:Life on the Streets are definitely worth seeking out -

• Like 1

I’m sure I’m very late to this and it will have been mentioned already but I’m 5/7 of the way into The Queens Gambit and it’s fucking ace.

it’s exactly as gritty and tense as you’d expect from a chess based period drama. 

seriously though, it’s right up my alley. Properly watchable, great characters, well acted, beautifully shot, all those things, and as soon as one episode ends you just want the next to start immediately.

top telly.

• Upvote 2

Gomorra 8/10

I'm torn between saying it's a modern masterpiece and saying it's a bit fanciful and too colourful to be realistic enough to be in the upper echelons of TV brilliance. 

I think it toed a line between soap opera and gritty drama which made it insanely watchable but at the same time a bit ridiculous.  

I loved the characters, and was refreshing to find a number of female characters that I actually enjoyed as well. 

The score was brilliant. 

Scenes were beautifully shot, the lighting was brilliant, which was difficult to do as much of it was shot at night.  The location was legit, you need to read the background of the scampia housing development to appreciate it, and that was a massive boost to the realism.  

I feel I could watch it all again. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Gomorra 8/10

I'm torn between saying it's a modern masterpiece and saying it's a bit fanciful and too colourful to be realistic enough to be in the upper echelons of TV brilliance. 

I think it toed a line between soap opera and gritty drama which made it insanely watchable but at the same time a bit ridiculous.  

I loved the characters, and was refreshing to find a number of female characters that I actually enjoyed as well. 

The score was brilliant. 

Scenes were beautifully shot, the lighting was brilliant, which was difficult to do as much of it was shot at night.  The location was legit, you need to read the background of the scampia housing development to appreciate it, and that was a massive boost to the realism.  

I feel I could watch it all again. 

Minus the final series.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just started this and I am through most of episode 1. Great cast and it looks extremely promising. I didn't even recognise the main 'villain' at first. 

Yeah, excellent cast. I was surprised at how old they are, still making good performances at 72 and 76. 

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, excellent cast. I was surprised at how old they are, still making good performances at 72 and 76. 

What a tit I am! I've watched most of episode two but completely missed episode one so have to go back and watch that. I thought it started at a funny part in relation to a storyline. Duh!!!

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I thought it was perfect in context. He was concerned about what he’d have to do, especially to her. That, to me, is the perfect way to display it. 

A 76 year old man versus a pair of CIA contract killers? I'd prefer a more likely kill scenario than a protracted wrestling match where the 76 year old man would be done in seconds. Just silly for me.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

A 76 year old man versus a pair of CIA contract killers? I'd prefer a more likely kill scenario than a protracted wrestling match where the 76 year old man would be done in seconds. Just silly for me.

I think the character is in his 60s, the actor is 72. But absolutely they have the ability to pull a trigger. Are we talking about different scenes? 

Edit: yep, I was talking about the one in episode 2 at the stop. 

25 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think the character is in his 60s, the actor is 72. But absolutely they have the ability to pull a trigger. Are we talking about different scenes? 

Edit: yep, I was talking about the one in episode 2 at the stop. 

No,I was talking about episode one in the car with the CIA operatives.