You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AVB Sacked

J-V

I am surprised by your post, Magicrat.

Hoddle was hounded out of his England job by a media driven firestorm for a quote which was used wildly out of context. At Liverpool we don’t like that sort of thing. Even Simon Weston condemned it as a witch hunt.

The afterlife, spiritualism, and reincarnation have a long and distinguished history. The concept of “punishment” in this life for past lives is more niche, some use it to explain some things, and is unproveable one way or another. But it hardly impacts upon a manger’s job to manage a football club ( Harry Kewell must have been a bad boy in the past if Hoddle is right).

As for Hoddle’s managerial credentials, he did an outstanding job at Swindon getting them promoted to the top flight( albeit that much was due to his playing impact). At Chelsea he took them to the FA Cup final in his first year and the CWC semi the following year, his 11th best league finish was no worse than had happened before, and better than many. For England his record is only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey and Capello. He saved saints from relegation and then at Spurs he did ok, but as always, not well enough for the deluded Spurs management ( who does?). Wolves didn’t go well, but was, and is, a basket case of a club.

Not bad for an amoeba.

He would have been a wonderful player for us, and his footballing philosophy is an easy fit with LFC.

I am surprised at your faux outrage

He was great player . His beliefs on disabilty are at best wacky but most , including myself , consider them offensive . If he was hounded out of his job for spouting this shite then he deserved no less. You can quote all the statistics you like about what he did years ago I have no doubt he would be total flop in any top managerial job today whether or not as an amoeba or any other non sentient being

I don't think it's fair to call Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen "crap". At least not yet. They've only played in England for 6 months. Not every single player is a Suarez or a Torres. Henry and Pires started slow if I recall correctly and they became the best players in the league eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree mate. They are all very good players and it was going to take time for them to gel.the player they miss the most when he is out is Vertonghen for me. Great CB, one of the best in the league. 

I'd have Soldado, Lamela or Eriksen right away. 

Apparently he was sacked for refusing to pick Adebayor? Or that was a big reason. I don't blame him. Adebayor is a mercenary cunt. 

I rate Levy as an owner on the business side of things but he shouldn't be interfering with the managers job and for that he is a bald cunt. (Sorry Hudu) 

I never really understood what was so offensive about his beliefs. He just believes that when you get reincarnated what you are reincarnated into depends on what you have done in your life and being disabled is not something anyone would want to be. No crazier than all the other religions out there.

I wouldn't like to tell some kid in a wheelchair its because you fucked up in a previous life.

Its funny in a David Icke nut-job kind of way on one level but a high profile figure such as the England manager saying it in all seriousness is not on really.

• Upvote 1

I never really understood what was so offensive about his beliefs. He just believes that when you get reincarnated what you are reincarnated into depends on what you have done in your life and being disabled is not something anyone would want to be. No crazier than all the other religions out there.

That's not saying a great fucking deal though, is it. Rape, genocide, slavery, stoning, offing gay people and killing your off-spring are all deemed OK according to interpretations of the Old testament, but I can't see Hodgson lasting long if he justified any of them because his Bible told him so. Be fucking great if he did, though.

And if I was looking forward to a life in a wheelchair because some drunken cunt mowed me down in his car I'm not sure I'd take a great deal of comfort from a professional athlete telling me that I ultimately deserved it because I did something equally bad in  a previous life.

Hoddle isn't a mong (presumably he led a blameless previous life...) so he would've known that expressing those beliefs, however entitled he may be told hold them, publicly in the capacity of an England manager would cause great offence - yet he still came out with that tripe. 

I've no sympathy for him getting the sack over it.

• Upvote 1

That's not saying a great fucking deal though, is it. Rape, genocide, slavery, stoning, offing gay people and killing your off-spring are all deemed OK according to interpretations of the Old testament, but I can't see Hodgson lasting long if he justified any of them because his Bible told him so. Be fucking great if he did, though.

He'd fob that shit off for lack of experience anyway.

Not sure about Levy, if it's true he or Baldini interfers with who the manager picks for games, something is very wrong there. But as far as Levy goes and looking in from the outside in what he's done at Tottenham over the last 5 years im actually quite impressed. He's made them a lot of money on player sales and kept them very competetive in the PL with his dealings.  A lot of that is down to ourselves underperforming for so many years, but 5-6th place for Tottenham is basically the best you can expect considering the resources City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal and ourselves are sitting on.

I wouldn't like to tell some kid in a wheelchair its because you fucked up in a previous life.

Its funny in a David Icke nut-job kind of way on one level but a high profile figure such as the England manager saying it in all seriousness is not on really.

It's a fucking stupid theory and I hate all forms of religion.

But he's entitled to say what he wants and believe what he wants.

His 'crazy belief system'? Oh, religion, you mean?

Let's not get into semantics of 'faith', if he believes in a god then he's hardly alone.

I think bashing Hoddle on his beliefs is a bit off.

Yeah, we should be more understanding of other people's utterly groundless beliefs. Especially when they attempt to impose them on players - many of them essentially kids - in their care.

• Upvote 1

Asking or telling? Is Buddhism crazy or offensive?Was there any suggestion that Drury was influencing team selection or tactics? His professional performance was pretty good, at the time, the best since Alf Ramsey.

I have no torch to carry for Hoddle other than that he was a very good footballer.

I am surprised that you have swallowed the media hype whole.

My complete contempt for religious belief has nothing to do with the English media, thank you very much.

When did Hoddle "impose" any beliefs on his players other than the footballing ones which made him the most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey?

He won nothing - came close to winning nothing - with a talented group of players. Robson and Venables - regardless of stats - did better jobs.

The imposition of a "spiritual healer" on a squad is imposing one's beliefs, is it not?

• Upvote 1

Our own manager follows a religion which asserts that wafers and wine literally turn into pieces of Jesus's body when you eat them, and that dead unbaptised babies go to limbo. I don't understand how that's any less wacky than what Hoddle believes.

Our own manager follows a religion which asserts that wafers and wine literally turn into pieces of Jesus's body when you eat them, and that dead unbaptised babies go to limbo. I don't understand how that's any less wacky than what Hoddle believes.

Our own manager doesn't make squad members consult a priest.

I find his comments totally offensive, he's saying that disabled people deserve to be disabled because of past life karma, which beyond being religious quakery, is actually a deeply disturbing thought process.  If you extrapolate that out, does he think kids with leukemia deserve it as well? does he think kid's like Jamie Bulger deserve to be murdered? It's equally as offensive to me as what Ron Atkinson said, maybe even more so.

The Tottenham job is becoming similar to the City job over the last 20 years. A reasonably 'big' name in terms of the English league, but on a hiding to nothing. If they aren't careful, they could end up going the same way... splashing out what they have with each new manager, and then ending up in a worse position. 

Obviously, they aren't (yet) as bad as City were, but they are starting to show similar traits.

I don't think they'll be able to pull the top end of managers any more, and will just end up slipping backwards.

The fans expect top 5, or even 4, but they're simply being squeezed out now.

Take Liverpool for instance... if they make top 4 this year, I can see FSG being willing to invest more in improvements and Liverpool could improve further still.... but I think Tottenham have already been through that phase and it's failed. I can't see another wave of investment from Levy... so I think it's likely they've peaked, and are now on the downward curve.