You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AVB Sacked

J-V

Glenn Hoddle: Tottenham role interests former manager

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

Glenn Hoddle would be willing to become Tottenham manager for a second time in a short-term or long-term capacity.

Hoddle, 56, managed Spurs between 2001 and 2003 and is among those tipped to replace Andre Villas-Boas, who was sacked on Monday.

The former England manager is interested in a return to his former club and is close to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

Technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood has been placed in temporary charge.

Villas-Boas' departure after 17 months at White Hart Lane came in the wake of Spurs' 5-0 loss to Liverpool, a defeat that left them seventh in the Premier League table.

Former England manager Fabio Capello, Swansea boss Michael Laudrup and Tottenham's current technical director Franco Baldini have also been linked with replacing the Portuguese.

Hoddle has not managed since he left Wolves in June 2006, but has turned down offers to return to the game since, including the chance to take charge of the Ukraine national side.

He has also opened an academy in Spain which focuses on keeping released players in the game.

Former Spurs and England striker Gary Lineker tweeted:  "Would love to see Glenn Hoddle given another chance at this level, has a brilliant football mind."

Sherwood will take charge as Tottenham face West Ham in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, with other members of Villas-Boas' backroom team - Jose Mario Rocha, Luis Martins and Daniel Sousa - all also moved on.

"The club can announce that Tim Sherwood, Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand will take charge of the first team whilst the club progresses discussions," said Spurs in a statement.

"Steffen Freund and Tony Parks continue as part of the coaching staff."

Former midfielder Sherwood, who played 93 league games for the White Hart Lane club, is only expected to be in charge on a temporary basis as the club seek to appoint their fourth manager in six years.

Following the dismissal of Villas-Boas, 36, a quarter of the Premier League's clubs have parted company with their managers this season.

Ian Holloway, Martin Jol, Steve Clarke and Paolo Di Canio all lost their jobs since the start of the campaign, with further managerial casualties in the Football League.

In a statement, League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan said: "The LMA is of course deeply concerned by the recent surge in managerial dismissals.

"This is a particularly turbulent period. As it stands, 19 managers [across the top four divisions] have already lost their jobs in this campaign.

"Almost half of the managers sacked so far have been given less than one year in the job.

"The volatility in management and coaching continues to undermine the profession at a time when the game needs to continue to encourage players towards the end of their career to stay in football."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25394591

Funny how they've wasted all that bale money on crap.

I don't think it's fair to call Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen "crap". At least not yet. They've only played in England for 6 months. Not every single player is a Suarez or a Torres. Henry and Pires started slow if I recall correctly and they became the best players in the league eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True but I think but what finally did for him yesterday was his press conference.

You dont get shafted 5 -0 in front of a packed house , live on Sky , in front of Levy and then get cute in the pressie virtally saying the players they bought in were not down to him.

Levy must have been incandescant.

Levy should be sacked.

The words of Hoddle himself on the subject if disabilty

Fuck me Steven Hawking must have been a mass murderer in a previous life

Hope Glenn comes back as an amoeba. It would make a marginally bettter football manager,

"My beliefs have evolved in the last eight or nine years, that the spirit has to come back again... that is nothing new, that has been around for thousands of years. You have to come back to learn and face some of the things you have done, good and bad. There are too many injustices around. You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap. You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around.

not a million miles away from Buddhism.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think it's fair to call Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen "crap".

Quite right. I'd take all of those players now. We've seen with some players that they're good, but they sometimes just don't fit. Torres went to Chelsea and has looked a shadow of himself. If Suarez left and played as a lone striker would he be as effective?

Eriksen has been pretty good for the most part. Soldado is a goal machine, but he needs players in and around him. At the moment, he's there doing it all himself. Put Soldado in that 2007 side instead of Torres and he'd have been huge. Lamela is a really top young talent, but needs time to adjust.

I don't think it's fair to call Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen "crap". At least not yet. They've only played in England for 6 months. Not every single player is a Suarez or a Torres. Henry and Pires started slow if I recall correctly and they became the best players in the league eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, fair points. It's funny how they've been crap so far, though.

does seem to have been hanging around at the last couple of Spurs vacancies

not like he is a Spurs legend or anything so don't really see why they'd give him his break in management, more chance at Blackburn surely?

He coaches their U21s I think, as well as being a former player. 

I am a little bit surprised Tottenham didnt give Villas Boas a little more time. After all they are only 6 points off second place, and with the christmas schedule coming up league positions can shift very quickly, and he did guide them to their best ever points tally in the PL last season, didnt he? Though Bale played quite a part in that.

I suppose the giant ass beatings they received by City and us played a big part in this decision, but still, without a permanent replacement  ready to step in i find it quite hasty and im far from sure it will help them short term, wouldnt be surprised if it has the opposite effect.

The words of Hoddle himself on the subject if disabilty

Fuck me Steven Hawking must have been a mass murderer in a previous life

Hope Glenn comes back as an amoeba. It would make a marginally bettter football manager,

"My beliefs have evolved in the last eight or nine years, that the spirit has to come back again... that is nothing new, that has been around for thousands of years. You have to come back to learn and face some of the things you have done, good and bad. There are too many injustices around. You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap. You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around.

I am surprised by your post, Magicrat.

Hoddle was hounded out of his England job by a media driven firestorm for a quote which was used wildly out of context. At Liverpool we don’t like that sort of thing. Even Simon Weston condemned it as a witch hunt.

The afterlife, spiritualism, and reincarnation have a long and distinguished history. The concept of “punishment” in this life for past lives is more niche, some use it to explain some things, and is unproveable one way or another. But it hardly impacts upon a manger’s job to manage a football club ( Harry Kewell must have been a bad boy in the past if Hoddle is right).

As for Hoddle’s managerial credentials, he did an outstanding job at Swindon getting them promoted to the top flight( albeit that much was due to his playing impact). At Chelsea he took them to the FA Cup final in his first year and the CWC semi the following year, his 11th best league finish was no worse than had happened before, and better than many. For England his record is only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey and Capello. He saved saints from relegation and then at Spurs he did ok, but as always, not well enough for the deluded Spurs management ( who does?). Wolves didn’t go well, but was, and is, a basket case of a club.

Not bad for an amoeba.

He would have been a wonderful player for us, and his footballing philosophy is an easy fit with LFC.

• Upvote 2

Hoddle was hounded out of his England job by a media driven firestorm for a quote which was used wildly out of context. At Liverpool we don’t like that sort of thing. Even Simon Weston condemned it as a witch hunt.

The afterlife, spiritualism, and reincarnation have a long and distinguished history. The concept of “punishment” in this life for past lives is more niche, some use it to explain some things, and is unproveable one way or another. But it hardly impacts upon a manger’s job to manage a football club ( Harry Kewell must have been a bad boy in the past if Hoddle is right).

As for Hoddle’s managerial credentials, he did an outstanding job at Swindon getting them promoted to the top flight( albeit that much was due to his playing impact). At Chelsea he took them to the FA Cup final in his first year and the CWC semi the following year, his 11th best league finish was no worse than had happened before, and better than many. For England his record is only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey and Capello. He saved saints from relegation and then at Spurs he did ok, but as always, not well enough for the deluded Spurs management ( who does?). Wolves didn’t go well, but was, and is, a basket case of a club.

Not bad for an amoeba.

He would have been a wonderful player for us, and his footballing philosophy is an easy fit with LFC.

He's a fucking loon whose crazy belief system - apart from being offensive - was impacting his professional performance. Remember this shyster?

article-0-00177CDA00000258-774_468x286.j

• Downvote 1

Not bad for an amoeba.

The only problem is he has been away from the spotlight of a major job for a long time.

I remember when he first started re-appearing on Sky a few years ago and he mentioned he had been working in youth football for a while.  I think it was abroad in Spain.

He's a very likeable personality on the TV and one of those players nobody ever seems to have a bad word to say about.  He talks a good game and I think he got a rough ride as the England manager in the end.  His time might have passed but I would not be surprised to see him take over a club side and do well.

I remember when he first started re-appearing on Sky a few years ago and he mentioned he had been working in youth football for a while.  I think it was abroad in Spain.

Think he runs, or ran, an academy in Spain for players that have been released. Seem to remember he had one player who was signed by Sevilla having impressed so much at the academy.

He's a fucking loon whose crazy belief system - apart from being offensive - was impacting his professional performance.

Asking or telling? Is Buddhism crazy or offensive?Was there any suggestion that Drury was influencing team selection or tactics? His professional performance was pretty good, at the time, the best since Alf Ramsey.

I have no torch to carry for Hoddle other than that he was a very good footballer.

I am surprised that you have swallowed the media hype whole.

The last time Spurs were in this position of needing a new manager to overhall the system was when the sacked Juande Ramos who was lying in last place, replacing him with Redknapp not only did he get them to a League Cup final but he also finsihed in 8th place. The fact they are only 6 points off us and realisticly still in the mix means that with the right appoitment they can really build around a core squad of player and be right up there come the end of the season.....they might have bought alot of players but they have depth which a fair few of he teams above them, including Arsenal.

I hope to god they get a dradful manager because i think they could turn this around and be a massive surprise come May.

The more clubs around us that are potentially destabilised, the better. It would be even more promising if Spurs fans looked higher up the food chain and started to call out both Levy and Baldini. By the way, anyone know how successful Baldini has been as a technical director in Italy the past? Does he have a good record of signing good players and managers? If not, then I hope Spurs keep him for the rest of the season.

AVB seems like a decent enough bloke. Perhaps he should have stayed at Porto for a couple more years. I'm sure they'd have him back.