You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AVB Sacked

J-V

Fuck that, he spent £100m this Summer and inherited a decent team.

Losing to us isn't a sackable offence, but losing to us 0-5 and also conceding 6 against City is pretty fucking pathetic.

He bought poorly and he panic bought, their chase of Willian, the signing of Lamela, it was just cringeworthy, they didn't need to spunk it all at once.

Spurs lost one of the best players in the world in the summer, which you neglected to mention.

You seem far more certain that AVB bought those players than AVB himself did.

not being funny but losing their best player and bringing 9 new faces, what do they expect. ridiculous how quick owners sack managers. i like avb to be honest and think he will eventually do brilliant somewhere but maybe he needs to go back to porto for a bit. 

who will they get? capello? hope not...

Liniker on twitter saying huddle should get a shout. haha i fucking hope so 

.You seem far more certain that AVB bought those players than AVB himself did.

IF, and it's a big if, he didn't buy those players then I've got little or no sympathy. If he didn't like it then he should have walked when they did it, not waited around to see if he could cream credit off it.

They bought some class players, it's not like they bought Tom Ince and Victor Anichebe.

And it's AvBs decision not to play Defoe and Sigurdsson, two proven PL performers. Though he'll probably claim he didn't pick the team either...

How many chances are you going to give AvB? Even a stopped clock is right twice a day though, so time isn't always an indicator of ability.

Am I the only one that thinks he deserved to go?

They were a mess, regardless of whether they lose Bale or not they spent £90m and none of the players they bought have been shite. 

I dont rate him at all, I wanted him when Kenny got sacked and was prepared to write off the Chelsea stuff as its a mad house but he's gone totally off the rails at Spurs and seemed to blame everybody but himself for their demise.

He's never spent longer than 18 months at a club either.  

• Upvote 1

AVB got what he deserved.

For all the comparisons to Mourinho that ive heard, AVB seems to be the exact opposite. Instead of getting the most from his players, he grimly held on to his football philosophy and tried in vain to fit square pegs in round holes. It happened in CHelsea and again with spurs.

Unless he gains some flexibility in his approach, he will never succeed on a big stage where he does not have complete control, and he will never get that control until he succeeds on the big stage.

At least he now has a wide array of monogrammed footbal gear.

• Upvote 1

My two cents:

Expected the sacking to be honest, but I thought it would happen at the end of the season. Makes sense as they would not want him to spend any money in January only to sack him in the summer. I suspect Levy saw this and justified it purely from a business point of view.

But football and business sense don't mix in the Premier League. It's shame he didn't get more time as I like AvB overall and think he is a talented manager, just a bit unlucky in England.

Spurs was his chance to prove his worth but if the players you have do match your ideas and football ethos then you either adapt tour ideas to what you have or you walk away. This is where AvB failed both at Chelsea and Spurs.

He is so hellbent on sticking to the way he wants his players to play that it becomes detrimental to his job, especially given their last 2 results.

On the other hand, he was managing 9 new players in his squad that not only were new to his ideas but also were getting used to playing in the Premier League and living in London. Not ideal.

Overall, there were a number of factors that led to his sacking, every little piece playing its part along the way.

He got what he deserved. He is out of touch and arrogant who doesn't understand his weaknesses.

They did NOT deserve to be sitting 7th with 27 points. They are not better than Southampton.

They got very very very lucky with referees this season. They should have lost against Everton and Chelsea.

They should have conceded at least another 2 goals yesterday. Yet AVB thought the sending off was harsh. He didn't even bother to apologise to his club's fans.

AVB’s sacking has echoes which carry beyond White Hart Lane.

If you lose an outstanding footballer, you are likely suffer, no matter how much money you get for him.

Winning the Pl requires £100ms investment, not £100m.

If you have a small ground, but don’t have gazillionaire owners, sustaining investment is very difficult.

Young managers can do very well but are defined by how they cope when things go wrong as much as when things go right.

When owners have invested £100m in the team they don’t like losing 6-3 away, then 0-5 at home, to teams around them

Rodgers has navigated the pitfalls of big club management more fleet-footedly than AVB at Chelsea or Spurs.

I think it's a bit premature to be honest. He's not exactly going to have 9 new players clicking all at once and playing attacking free flowing football in 3 months. The mistake was spending fortunes on a midfield that already consisted of Dembele, Sandro, Townsend and Lennon. It wasn't necessary, loads of creators and only one goal scorer. They rested all their hopes on Soldado and he's been poor to say the least. He's 24th in the list of top scorer's in the league, the highest of all the Spurs players. We on the other hand have the 1st and 3rd top scorers in Suarez and Sturridge... that's the difference between the two teams.

Still 27 points, only 6 behind us, can't be sacking a manager this early if Moyes is being allowed to continue at manure. I think he's a decent coach, but he's too dogmatic in sticking to that high line, Brendon realised that the "death by football" approach was not getting us the results we needed and was able to make the necessary adjustments to benefit the team. We probably have the Reading spell to thank for that pragmatism.

Shite club though aren't they? Their sense of entitlement is astounding. They've always touted themselves as some kind of great entertainers and yet never win fuck all or come close to winning fuck all. Glenn Hoddle - coming to a Graeme Souness back pocket near you.

• Upvote 1

According to a Spurs supporting work colleage, the main issue is that Spurs have invested the kitchen sink here if we consider transfer fees and wages so no CL this season is a big deal.

He also said that off-field wasn't going well and the suspicion was that AVB just doesn't carry the respect of the players. He simply lacks gravitas. Players who have largely been recruited by Baldini (DoF) rather than AVB. Apparently AVB effectively inferred at the press conference after losing to us that he didn't consider the current squad to be his which is going to be a pretty fatal thing to say after losing 5-0.

Sounds like a bit of a mess, oh dear!! :D

His actually got a good record at Spurs, decent manager if you ask me if his given the right to build his own team, this season he was forced with several new players who haven't bedded in well and their squad looks a bit unbalanced, and they never really replaced Bale and his goals which they were over reliant on. He needs to find a club that will give him the power to do build his own team up and the time also.

not sure whether its a good thing or not that he has gone, on the face of it he did well last season but Bale dug them out of the shit countless times and the fact that he doesn't have a clue how to use Soldado or Lamela who should be top players for them suggests he isn't the right man

early candidates don't look too cracking to be fair, Capello's record is amazing at club level but he made some stupid decisions as England manager but then again that job just turns people into mongs which is why they appointed a ready made one this time round

Hoddle- I'd piss myself, he is an awful manager who people suddenly seem to think is capable again because he got a couple of things spot on about the England side, Di Matteo is nothing special either and wouldn't send any shivers down spines, and Tim Sherwood what the fuck?!

Probably best of going for Laudrup or De Boer out of realistic candidates but even they'd be risks

• Upvote 1

Their sense of entitlement is astounding. They've always touted themselves as some kind of great entertainers and yet never win fuck all or come close to winning fuck all.

That's spot on. I know the Bitters label us as arrogant, but you read the Spurs forums and you'd think winning everything and playing beautiful football was a birthright.

He has been their most successful manager for 100 years in terms on win percentage. His problem is off the field. Players don't respect him. Once that happens you're fucked.

True but I think but what finally did for him yesterday was his press conference.

You dont get shafted 5 -0 in front of a packed house , live on Sky , in front of Levy and then get cute in the pressie virtally saying the players they bought in were not down to him.

Levy must have been incandescant.