You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martinez Group think.

thompsonsnose

Doing well at Everton.   Didn't want him at the time, was shocked they were interviewing him for the job, and tbh I still believe he had too much learning to do to be given the Liverpool job back then.

Everton's the right step up for him.  Where he can do well but make many a mistake without much scrutiny.  They'll just be a stepping stone for him if he does prove to be good enough.

Doing well at Everton.   Didn't want him at the time, was shocked they were interviewing him for the job, and tbh I still believe he had too much learning to do to be given the Liverpool job back then.

Everton's the right step up for him.  Where he can do well but make many a mistake without much scrutiny.  They'll just be a stepping stone for him if he does prove to be good enough.

Their style of football has been reworked. They just beaten Utd at home. Im just here to remind some of the grandees of what they said about Martinez at the time. He's made some look like chumps. I will admit that Lukaku is a factor in this though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

14 games into his Everton career isn't the time to judge him. Decent start, nothing more. Very, very lucky today. I didn't want him before, and 14 decent games haven't changed my mind. 

Their style of football has been reworked. They just beaten Utd at home. Im just here to remind some of the grandees of what they said about Martinez at the time. He's made some look like chumps. I will admit that Lukaku is a factor in this though.

Like NV said, 14 games!  If they lose the next four on the bounce, does that make those that didn't want him right again?

Revisit at end of season.

He got Wigan RELEGATED

The two seasons before that.....they fought relegation and now suddenly we are meant to think he is good?

He got lucky tonight. He got lucky on transfer deadline day with Barry, Lukaku and mcarthy and only because Moyes is a dickhead and made Fellaini his Andy Caroll signing. Which meant he could afford the new players wages and transfer fee.

I also remember people saying it was him who did all the good work at Swansea and not Rodgers. Well Swansea arent looking anywhere near as dangerous these days.

Fuck Martinez he is the peanut in a chocolate m&m

Good start at Everton. Their position is inflated by high end loans. Everton are a good location for that, as they are amongst the 'best of the rest' i.e. good enough to hurt a lot of top teams, so the monied clubs, with stockpiles of talent, will send players there to develop and as a nice fringe benefit, hurt their rivals (consider the points Lukaku will help Everton get against Chelsea's rivals while he can't play against them - it's crooked, but it's how the system works and Everton are benefitting). 

I expect them to finish about seventh. Once Lukaku leaves they will struggle to get anything like that quality in to the club off their own steam, so I would imagine they will slip a couple more places in Martinez's second season. 

He's a decent fella (though he couldn't resist pandering to the inbred home crowd in the derby, not least with the defence of Mirallas and the set play nonsense) and he sends his teams out to play better football than Moyes. 

Like has been said maybe 14 games in but he took on a impossible in my eyes job on from gollum. His loan signings have been way way above the players i would of ecpected in terms of skill. The young Spanish lad looks class as well as lukaku. I would never of expected to see them in the place they appear in and thought they would be right down the table after 14 games. Still only 14 games in and time yet but he has way over exceeded what i thought.

Oh and Howard is Cat Stevens the suicide bombing jihadist

beard wearing bellend.

I am impressed with the team he has put together. The signings he made in the last window were very good.

They also looked very fluid on the attack in the derby and in the first half of the game against Newcastle that I saw. Appearing to have a man over on each attack.

Early days yet though.

• Upvote 1

I find it quite difficult to hate him.

Agreed.  He seems to want to play football - although I was hoping he's bring Wigan's shambolic inability to defend with him to Goonisod.

He's an Everton-level manager, though.  He has made good signings, especially the loanees, but (as other people have mentioned elsewhere) Chelsea would not have loaned Lukaku to a team with ambitions of challenging them.  I wouldn't have wanted him here.

No, I'm still not convinced, but time may prove me wrong - and I'm talking a couple of seasons. When his rather fortunate loans are taken out, and Kenwright sells Barclay from under him and pockets the cash, and he's left with a squad that could fill a small retirement home, we'll see his true colours then.

No, I'm still not convinced, but time may prove me wrong - and I'm talking a couple of seasons. When his rather fortunate loans are taken out, and Kenwright sells Barclay from under him and pockets the cash, and he's left with a squad that could fill a small retirement home, we'll see his true colours then.

I wish we could get a couple of "fortunate" loans.

Agreed.  He seems to want to play football - although I was hoping he's bring Wigan's shambolic inability to defend with him to Goonisod.

He's an Everton-level manager, though.  He has made good signings, especially the loanees, but (as other people have mentioned elsewhere) Chelsea would not have loaned Lukaku to a team with ambitions of challenging them.  I wouldn't have wanted him here.

Bit off a balls up from t he chavs there as I look at the table.

For the first time in years, I don't particularly dislike the Everton manager.

I have to agree with this. Hard to dislike at Wigan or Everton. Time will tell how good he is and whether he turns out to be the better exponent of this brand of football compared to our own manager. Only a few weeks ago the phone ins and forums were buzzing with Evertonians belittling his style as too slow or tippy tappy never mind Liverpoool fans taking the piss. But then that is how fickle the modern fan is.

I thought he was dishonest over the Mirallas 'tackle' and disingenuous to deflect from it by talking about the non existant Gerrard elbow but then he wouldn't be the first to talk shit to defend his player .

He made a cracking signing with Lukaku and showed us what we are missing as an extra forward option. Even if you want to play a nice passing style,in the PL you simply cannot get away with not having a powerful and direct option when necessary.

If we'd have got Lukaku and they had got Moses,things might not be so bright for them.

I don't mind Martinez at all. He might also turn out to be a great manager but i'm not totally sure.  Whether people like it or not though, Moyes built a very good squad and a very stable ship with the funds he had available. Martinez is benefiting from that right now. It will take a good few transfer windows before we really see what he is like operating at that budget.