You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Fabio Borini should never have joined Liverpool"

DanDanShaw

Liverpool flop Fabio Borini made a big mistake when deciding to move to Anfield last summer, according to the striker’s agent.

Borini has been farmed out on loan to Sunderland after failing to make an impact on Merseyside.

And the Italian’s agent, Marco De Marchi, has admitted his client should have stayed at Roma rather than switching to the Premier League.

‘I think Fabio would have been the ideal player for [Zdenek] Zeman [Roma’s former coach] last year,’ De Marchi told Radio Mana Mana.

‘But the decision was made to leave Roma. Of course, it all happened very quickly and there was no chance to talk with the coach.

‘But having said that, I still think Roma would have been the right team for Fabio.’

The 22-year-old made just 20 appearances for Liverpool last term, scoring two goals in a campaign that was dogged by injury.

• Upvote 1

Loaning him out and getting aspas in seems kind of strange they both look similar in terms of being very light weight but have good footballing brains, there's something underlying there in both of them but still can't be sure if it will ever quite bare fruition. I've still hope for aspas though I think his game will look a lot better when he plays alongside Suarez as saurez can carry the ball from midfield and hold it up, at the minute our forwards seem isolated a lot at times that slight problem tactically can unfairly make our forwards look ineffective and if they want to see more of the ball they have to come fairly deep to get it, aspas nor borini look the type to hit you on the break and run with the ball past players.

Loaning him out and getting aspas in seems kind of strange they both look similar in terms of being very light weight but have good footballing brains, there's something underlying there in both of them but still can't be sure if it will ever quite bare fruition. I've still hope for aspas though I think his game will look a lot better when he plays alongside Suarez as saurez can carry the ball from midfield and hold it up, at the minute our forwards seem isolated a lot at times that slight problem tactically can unfairly make our forwards look ineffective and if they want to see more of the ball they have to come fairly deep to get it, aspas nor borini look the type to hit you on the break and run with the ball past players.

I also find it odd, Aspas doesn't look appreciably better than Borini, but Aspas is older and therefore less likely to improve.

I also find it odd, Aspas doesn't look appreciably better than Borini, but Aspas is older and therefore less likely to improve.

Unless Aspas was brought in to cover for Borini being loaned out and that the club was just waiting for the Moses deal to come through before Borini was loaned.

I'm pretty sure he's coming back next season and that he wouldn't have been at Sunderland this season if his last season hadn't been marred with injuries. He's got a lot of talent, but he needs to play regularly to develop it instead of being a bit-part player for a top club.

I wonder if Borini's agent is going to get his spaghetti-chomping face battered by Colin Pascoe?

Your client got injured. All the time. Now, I'm not sure what Roma's club policy is with regard to players with broken bones, I take it's very similar to ours in that we refer them to a doctor who tries to help the player through a programme whereby his splintered calcium frame can regenerate, so it's very likely he'd have made very little impact at Roma. Under Zemen.

I suggest that Borini gets his head out of his arse and sack this dickhead with a big mouth, and then get some games and goals under his belt at lowly Sunderland, and then we'll reassess in the coming months.

• Upvote 3

It would be nice to see Borini in form, and not in recovery from one of his myriad injuries.

At his best he looks to be very active and especially busy within the box.  Its been reported that he has a poacher's instincts, but I've yet to see that.

I would guess that Borini was brought in with the thought that he might be ideal to clean up loose balls in the box after Suarez has created chaos.

I will agree that niether Borini and Aspas have looked capable of picking a final pass or creating their own chances.

His agent isn't saying that Borini shouldn't have joined Liverpool. He's just saying that in his opinion, Borini may have done well had he stayed at Roma last year and developed under the then-coach Zdenek Zemen. All fair enough. 

Except that he was very keen for Liverpool to sign the player last year, because of how much he personally stood to gain from the deal. I'm fairly certain he wasn't telling either Borini or the media that it would be wise to stay put.

• Upvote 2

I am not having a go but when I seen him I thought what the fuck, he does not look like a footballer, he looks like a choir boy.  On first impressions he looks too lightweight to make it but it is early, early days, he can prove me wrong and I hope he does.

The change we needed the other night was someone in the middle to battle, that is not his fault as he is not that type of player.  He looked a bit lost but hope he turns it around.  

Cannot believe I am judging players this early, it is a bit wrong.

Only in Englad would a 22 year old be written completely after a dozen games. I know they're different players, but look at Luca Toni, spent a lot of his early career in the lower leagues, made the move up and banged them in. Italians in particular just seem to get better with age. Totti is gonna be 37 this year, still going strong. Di Natale is old as fuck too, still always scores 20+ goals a season. Borini may never reach the level of these guys, but he's 22 and how many 90 minutes has he actually completed? From what I've seen of him for Italy u-21s, he's got goals in him, seems better in the centre than out wide. 

Maybe not the player for us, but I think he'll be a regular goal scorer for someone and probably Italy, as they seem to rate him very highly. I guess we'll see this season what he's made of playing for Sunderland. I reckon he has more goals in him than their other strikers.

As for Aspas, again, he's not completed 90 minutes yet as he? Let's give him time. Looks more someone who will score a few (hopefully important) goals, rather than a load.  

• Upvote 1