You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

I still can't figure out why Higuain who was supposedly on his way to Arsenal for a medical, personal terms agreed, ended up at Napoli for 35M, the exact same money they offered for Suarez which we then rejected. Were Arsenal ever in for Higuain, or did they let on to the press that they were interested in the RM striker in order to appease their fans? I don't understand the sudden change of plan to chase Suarez.

Madrid upped their asking price at the last minute from £23.5 to £35 million just at the moment Arsenal were about to sign him. They obviously think Suarez is better bet at 40 million than Higuin at 35

Getting rid of a player like Suarez is not the sign of a small club, it's the sign of a big club. Big clubs carry themselves with pride and don't let people shit on them like that, they don't beg and plead someone to put a shift in when they're showing open disrespect. When you think of the legends we've had who've carried themselves with dignity on and off the pitch, bollocks to the shit.

Could somebody send this to the boardroom? Fucking Nailed.

I honestly think he'll go to Madrid, Madrid love fucking us over and they'll be saying to him, kick up a fuss, get a lower deal for us so they don't sell to Arsenal and the fans kick off.

The club are going to look really fucking stupid if this clause is legit and Arsenal have got us by the bollocks. Really really fucking stupid.

And with regards to a few posts further up, I'm repeating myself but I really can't see how in the cold light of day people are seeing this potential deal as a positive. Our one stand out world class talent agitating to leave the club for a not so distant rival.

We've said this before, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, "if they want to go sell th, just think what we could do with all that money". Look what we did with all that money, it's precisely the reason we are in this position now.

All the Champ Man heads saying how many 25 million players we can sign. Ye great , look at that 25mil player we were after the other week who's now sat in Dortmund. Get in the real world, look at our position and our current standing, the players who can improve us are being courted by Champions League clubs. It's great having 50million in your pocket when there's no fucker worth his salt wanting to come here isn't it. Players come to us to play with Luis Suarez, not Jordan Henderson or Fabio Borini.

There are no positives in Liverpool selling one of the greatest most naturally talented footballers to ever play for the club.

Spot on Randy, great post. I'm sure Forest and Villa used to say the same things when they started their decline.

FSG are not the answer, granted better than H and G, they saved us but what they're doing is not good enough. Simple as.

Getting rid of a player like Suarez is not the sign of a small club, it's the sign of a big club. Big clubs carry themselves with pride and don't let people shit on them like that, they don't beg and plead someone to put a shift in when they're showing open disrespect. When you think of the legends we've had who've carried themselves with dignity on and off the pitch, bollocks to the shit.

Getting rid of players the moment they are unhappy is what we've done for years Section. We'll end up selling Suarez because he wants out, as we did Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Arbeloa etc. Were too nice as a club, we just let players leave without any serious fight. What your suggesting is exactly what Souness was slaughtered for, allowing McMahon and Beardsley to leave because they had the arrogance to want out.

It's either the "how dare they want to leave a club like liverpool, get rid of them" or it's "well it is Barcelona / Real Madrid / Chelsea.....soon to be / Arsenal we can't stop them from leaving" angle. The club need to grow a pair of bollocks for once and do the exact opposite of what your suggesting. Say shut up to Suarez and tell Arsenal the answer is no regardless of the money involved.

Guest San Don

Suarez making a mistake as Liverpool a bigger club than arse - Rodgers.

Liverpool's Luis Suarez will be making a mistake if he joins Arsenal, says Brendan Rodgers - Telegraph

Brendan Rodgers has warned Luis Suárez he will be making a mistake if he joins Arsenal because Liverpool are a far bigger club.

The Liverpool manager said Suárez’s desire to move to Arsenal “does not add up”, even though the London club can offer Champions League football next season.

Suárez arrived in Bangkok with the Liverpool squad on Thursday night with his Anfield future still in doubt following his return to the team with a substitute appearance against Melbourne Victory in Australia on Wednesday.

Arsenal’s determination to sign the 26-year-old has been underlined by their club-record offer of £40,000,001 for the player, a sum for which they and Suárez’s advisers believe Liverpool are obliged to sell him.

But Liverpool deny there is any such contractual obligation and Rodgers retains the backing of Liverpool’s American owners to repel Arsène Wenger’s attempts to sign the former Ajax striker. Suárez, who has previously insisted Real Madrid were the club he most wanted to join, is now keen to talk to Arsenal, the difference to Liverpool being their participation in the Champions League.

But with more than 95,000 fans watching Liverpool play at the MCG in Melbourne, Rodgers claims that Suárez risks turning his back on one of the biggest clubs in the world.

“Would it be a mistake for Luis to leave Liverpool? Yes, 100 per cent,” Rodgers said. “I know what we are trying to build and grow here, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal? I am not sure that it adds up to be honest.

“Don’t get me wrong, Arsenal has a wonderful history in its own right, but Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I am sure Luis will have seen the sheer size and status of the club here [in Melbourne], so we’ll just see how it goes.”

While Rodgers and managing director Ian Ayre continue to reject the prospect of Suárez being sold, a bid in excess of £50 million for the player would test Liverpool’s resolve to keep a player who will miss the first six games of the new season as he serves the remainder of a 10-game suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in April.

Rodgers believes, however, that the opportunity to be the driving force in Liverpool’s challenge to return to the Champions League could tempt Suárez to abandon his efforts to leave with three years left on his contract.

“We are not in the Champions League and haven’t been for a while now, but we have to step up to the challenge,” Rodgers said. “And we would love to have him [suárez] to continue with the next phase.

“It is something to be given a team that is built around you. I made some big calls last year to make it work to suit his strengths and it is no coincidence he had a great season apart from the end bit.

“It is difficult for Luis, I understand that. If a team wants you, it can be difficult. But it is a situation we are in control of because he has three years left on his contract. Unless something changes, or there is an offer which is heavily increased, he is still very much a Liverpool player.

“And I can categorically say that the owners have been brilliant throughout this process. The board and club has stayed very strong. It is very simple. We don’t want to sell one of our best players.”

Suárez is expected to play again when Liverpool face a Thai XI in Bangkok on Sunday, despite an expectation at Arsenal that he will formally ask for a transfer in the coming days.

And Liverpool defender Glen Johnson echoed Rodgers’ comments by claiming it will be difficult for Suárez to turn his back on the club.

“You wouldn’t walk away from this club easily,” Johnson said. “We are building under Brendan. With the owners that we have now, you can see the foundations are there and everything is going the right way.

“If we can keep the players that we have got here, then everything looks promising. The members of staff, the players - we are all the same. We want to keep him here.”

Guest San Don

Haha! Just seen a report that says suarez claims the club told him he could leave for £35m irrespective of the contract clause!

No fucking way would the club do that. Also suggests the player and his agent want the PL to decide what the clause states.

Guest San Don
I've already called him a cunt once or twice during this farce but if he takes us to court he might just be the biggest cunt to ever have played for us.

Well he has previous for it. Mind and no disrespect to Groningen, they arent as big a club but if he's expecting us to bend over for him.......

Just hope the club has this clause tighter than a duck arse though.

I've already called him a cunt once or twice during this farce but if he takes us to court he might just be the biggest cunt to ever have played for us.

Not only that but he would be taking us to court to force through a move to Arsenal. Fucking ARSENAL. You could almost understand it if it was to Real or Barca or Bayern. But that shower of mediocrities? The fact that he wants to go there at all is bad enough. Fucking gobshite.

90k people in Oz wont make him see sense, he wants to play with better players and play in the CL

Don't get me wrong, Alberto et al might prove wonderstrokes and I hope they do but we need to show him intent by signing top players

You can get top players without CL by paying top wages, but we've cut back on that so it wont happen

I honestly think he'll go to Madrid, Madrid love fucking us over and they'll be saying to him, kick up a fuss, get a lower deal for us so they don't sell to Arsenal and the fans kick off.

Spot on Randy, great post. I'm sure Forest and Villa used to say the same things when they started their decline.

FSG are not the answer, granted better than H and G, they saved us but what they're doing is not good enough. Simple as.

So, a player who has been banned for racially abusing another player (harshly, I thought, but there you go) and then gets banned for biting a fellow professional (again!) lets it be known publicly he wants to leave the club (who gave him a new contract in the meantime) because he feels hard done by at the hands of the English media.

He then states that he would like to talk to Arsenal, funnily enough based in capital city of the very same country with the nasty media.

Whose fault is all that? FSGs!

I should have known.

The only reason Suarez' future is up in the air is because HE is fucking about, no-one else is to blame. Rodgers has stated clearly he wants him to stay, FSG have turned down a 40m bid for him.

If Luis came out and said: I want to leave to play CL football not a single person here would complain but, like most footballers, he is really a bit of a twat, not very bright and thinks he can deflect blame onto everybody but himself.

FSG have done several things wrong but the only person to blame for the Suarez situation is Suarez. Totally agree with a previous post. If we are still a big club, WE should just get rid.

Have some fucking self-respect.

It's annoying to think about the chaos Luis, Aspas and Coutinho could've caused for the defences we'll play against next season. That's the main gripe I have with all this now, because I think they could be capable of taking apart any defence if they're on the pitch together and playing well enough. If he stays I won't be moaning too much that's for sure.

It's annoying to think about the chaos Luis, Aspas and Coutinho could've caused for the defences we'll play against next season. That's the main gripe I have with all this now, because I think they could be capable of taking apart any defence if they're on the pitch together and playing well enough. If he stays I won't be moaning too much that's for sure.

We always have this though "imagine if Suarez played alongside Torres" we show no signs of ambition or intent in the transfer market. Suarez is a nob head wanting arsenal infact I genuinely do think the man is slightly retarded but if I was a top class player and I looked at who we signed so far I'd think this club has absolutely no desire to get top 4 its waiting on a miracle.

We always have this though "imagine if Suarez played alongside Torres" we show no signs of ambition or intent in the transfer market. Suarez is a nob head wanting arsenal infact I genuinely do think the man is slightly retarded but if I was a top class player and I looked at who we signed so far I'd think this club has absolutely no desire to get top 4 its waiting on a miracle.

Agreed with the Torres and Luis bit and the wondering what could've happened often being the case, but I do think we've signed some good players this window. The problem seems to be that FSG seem to have a plan that's going to take a few years to work unless they change their apparent rules for signing older players. With that looking like the situation I find it hard to blame Luis for wanting out, but at the same time with himself, Stevie, Agger, Johnson and so on, we could have a great mix of younger and older players as we stand now.

I'm probably being too optimistic, but the way things are going Luis is off and we're never going to know how that type of scenario would've turned out anyway. Agreed that he probably has a screw or three loose for looking like he'd be happy moving to Arsenal too.

On the plus side, if he bites Wenger's puffer jacket it might do similar to what happens when you let go of a blown up balloon that's not been tied, and Wenger might end up shooting off into space.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Marca the Madrid mouthpiece is supposed to of said that Madrid don't want him as they have faith in the younger strikers if they need to use them.So that puts paid to his dream move I reckon.

The prospect of this going to court of arbitration is something I read a article on few days ago and cant think where it was. I just remember it saying that it would probably be the quickest way to end all this, it surprised me to be honest.

There was a bad side to that happening though as it also said that they couldn't see any type of clause this could be no matter how it might appear to be worded , than a release clause at that price. In other words its very highly likely he will win , it also said he has took his first club to court over similar thing and lost. Meaning you can bet the clause is wrote in a way he knows or more likely his agent knows that they will win.

That really could mean the club having to release him without him handing a transfer request in and him going for the figure in the clause.

Obviously the clubs lawyers would of been present and they might of seen what they were up to , but I don't think at that time as there was no problems at all they just might of not seen anything dodgy about the wording.

It could also result in him not taking us to court until last moment as well as he knows they will win in court and it gives other clubs time to bid for him , with him knowing he will get his move anyway.

I think the long term plan stuff is a pipe dream what happens next year if someone wants coutinho, were not going to keep players happy constantly pointing to the future our best players will not wait. Are we going to get lucky and it all falls into place at the right time. I doubt it, we look like we are going to do an Ajax be a school for young footballers then flog them as soon as they're ready to fly. When will we learn we need to buy more than one class player, we buy one then spend two year surrounding them with a plethora of jobbers until the player thinks fuck this I ain't got time nor the patience for this shit so we sell him and replace him and repeat. I'm coming to the opinion FSG just couldn't give a fuck they want us financially as sound as possible so they can sell us, the team can tick along as cheap as possible with a small a wage bill as possible. Just show some fucking intent instead of bargain basement hunting. We are not suddenly going to become this fucking super smart team who outwits the rest of the footballing world. Stop wasting time buy some fucking good players if you get them then sell the shit you don't want.

Marca the Madrid mouthpiece is supposed to of said that Madrid don't want him as they have faith in the younger strikers if they need to use them.So that puts paid to his dream move I reckon.

The prospect of this going to court of arbitration is something I read a article on few days ago and cant think where it was. I just remember it saying that it would probably be the quickest way to end all this' date=' it surprised me to be honest.

There was a bad side to that happening though as it also said that they couldn't see any type of clause this could be no matter how it might appear to be worded , than a release clause at that price. In other words its very highly likely he will win , it also said he has took his first club to court over similar thing and lost. Meaning you can bet the clause is wrote in a way he knows or more likely his agent knows that they will win.

That really could mean the club having to release him without him handing a transfer request in and him going for the figure in the clause.

Obviously the clubs lawyers would of been present and they might of seen what they were up to , but I don't think at that time as there was no problems at all they just might of not seen anything dodgy about the wording.

It could also result in him not taking us to court until last moment as well as he knows they will win in court and it gives other clubs time to bid for him , with him knowing he will get his move anyway.[/quote']

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think you're a little bit mental.

I think the long term plan stuff is a pipe dream what happens next year if someone wants coutinho, were not going to keep players happy constantly pointing to the future our best players will not wait. Are we going to get lucky and it all falls into place at the right time. I doubt it, we look like we are going to do an Ajax be a school for young footballers then flog them as soon as they're ready to fly. When will we learn we need to buy more than one class player, we buy one then spend two year surrounding them with a plethora of jobbers until the player thinks fuck this I ain't got time nor the patience for this shit so we sell him and replace him and repeat. I'm coming to the opinion FSG just couldn't give a fuck they want us financially as sound as possible so they can sell us, the team can tick along as cheap as possible with a small a wage bill as possible. Just show some fucking intent instead of bargain basement hunting. We are not suddenly going to become this fucking super smart team who outwits the rest of the footballing world. Stop wasting time buy some fucking good players if you get them then sell the shit you don't want.

Absolutely spot on.

Is right!

Good post Bobby