You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

The fact that it seems we still haven't approached, let alone bought, our alternative for the Armenian fella is disconcerting and one of the reasons why selling Luis (for whatever amount) scares me.

By all means whether Luis stays or not, we should be buying one or two top class players. It seems as if discussions about those players have completely disappeared in light of this pathetic saga. If our signings stopped as is - even with Luis staying - id have to say that it'd be a pretty dire transfer window.

So we can talk about how we'd spend 55m all we like, but it'd be nice if we spend the 30 odd we apparently have already first. With the league starting in about three weeks, I'm surprised that we're pretty much linked to nobody.

On the subject of losing your best player and Arsenal, I was surprised when I looked back over the results of the past two seasons to see that Arsenal were no worse off, and Manchester United no better off, as a result of van Persie's move between the two clubs.

Arsenal finished with 3 more points last season than the one before (when van Persie had his record goal scoring season), scoring only 2 less goals, whereas Manchester United ended up with exactly the same number of points and scored three goals fewer than in the previous season.

That surprised me, but it does suggest that losing your best player/top goal scorer is not necessarily the disaster that is often assumed.

It has happened with Luis himself: He was Ajax' best player, they did not once win the league whilst he was there. He left in January 2011 and Ajax have won three titles since.

It's about how you respond. Do you manage to replace him? Can you adapt the team in such a way as to compensate the loss and, who knows, get more out of the other players? Can you adapt the style and system to the loss of the player? Will the atmosphere in the dressing room be better or worse? There are a thousand factors that can come into play.

Frankly, I am just sick of the whole thing but not surprised. Footballers, on the whole, are twats and not very bright. If he came out and said he wants to play CL football and wont be doing that with LFC, fine. All this shite about the media is just that: shite, designed to get the 'fans onside' and make himself look good. To be fair, he does not strike me as the brightest star in the sky either.

It was the same with McManaman or Owen, the inability to say what you really want is just sickening, they are all like little kids.

I am pretty sure he will go and, if we get 50m and manage to reinvest that money, it would be a good deal.

Torres Bought for 24m sold for 50m. Suarez bought for 23m sold for 55m?, Coutinhio bought for 8m sold for ?m. It's how you reinvest the money. Good dealing in the transfer market always pay off one way or another you get 2-3 years of world class performances then you sell them at a profit. It's win win.

How do you know?

I used the word 'seems' for that very reason. I don't particularly know but it is disconcerting that those who generally have an insight into our dealings (Barrett, Pearce etc) haven't really got us going for anybody. Indeed, none of our dealings this summer have been that under the radar so perhaps now we're trying to keep stuff on the quiet, to avoid what happened with the Armenian fella.

Don't judge me! Just want us to buy some top quality and to read some positive news for once.

I knew the vanPersie one would get brought up but the problem is they didn't get better they stayed around 70-73 points so if that was replicated to us we would still be average and in 6-8th.

As for Ajax they got better because they changed their manager a month before Suarez left you could easily make a case for that playing a bigger factor. Although I sort of agree that a team will always outperform a star individual with the right tactics but Luis is one of the hardest working players out there not a luxury player.

"If Arsenal want the player, then they have to produce the value for the player," Rodgers told reporters in Australia.

"There was an offer a few weeks ago of £35million and two weeks later it is now £40m and a pound - I don't think it is anywhere near the value of what he is worth."

Brendan Rodgers

We're selling to Arsenal. what have we become... I'm ashamed

Torres Bought for 24m sold for 50m. Suarez bought for 23m sold for 55m?, Coutinhio bought for 8m sold for ?m. It's how you reinvest the money. Good dealing in the transfer market always pay off one way or another you get 2-3 years of world class performances then you sell them at a profit. It's win win.

How is it win win? when in the meantime we win ZERO trophies and remain 6th - 7th? where is the progress?

No doubt in two years Coutinho will be sold for profit. Bottom line is we're going backwards with this policy, we've become a mid-table feeder club.

Edited by Nightcat

No doubt in two years Coutinho will be sold for profit. Bottom line is we're going backwards with this policy, we've become a mid-table feeder club.

In terms of Latin players, yes, they've all wanted to leave eventually. It's no shocker, it comes with the territory of being based in NW England.

The potential difference between Coutinho and the rest is that he's done it backwards, he's already gone to a massive club and then joined us because it didn't work out. I've no doubt he'll want to move on sometime though. Until we can start to develop British players of the required quality, or find European players who value living in England ahead of living in Spain or Italy, then it's going to happen again and again and again, get used to it.

United's elongated success was based on British players of top quality underpinning the team/squad. If you try it with foreigners then you're more likely to have to start another cycle every 2-3 years because they want out.

Schmeichel/Barthez (Northern Europe)

Stam/Evra/Berg/Ferdinand/Blanc/Neville (British or Northern Europe)

Beckham/Keane/Carrick/Scholes/Giggs/Butt/Kanchelskis/Ince (British or Northern Europe)

Cantona/Van Nistelrooy/Cole/Van Persie/Larsson/Sheringham/Solskjaer/Rooney (British or Northern Europe)

United's dalliances with more exotic players have been a bit like ours, short and sometimes sweet (Ronaldo, Nani, Tevez, Heinze, Hernandez, Yorke) but sometimes plain not working (Veron, Forlan, Kleberson, Anderson), and then whatever De Gea turns out to be, though I bet he's off within 12 months.

Wenger went close with his version, featuring Pires, Henry, Vieira, Petit, Campbell, Cole, Adams, Seaman, Wright, Overmars, Anelka, etc. Again, same theory of mine.

Maybe Suarez should come out and ask why the club doesn't seem to be making any moves to improve the first team. If he said he wants to stay but not if the club is settling for mediocrity, who would argue?

Arsenal offered 40 million, who have we offered 40 million for?

Arsenal are prepared to pay a big wedge to buy Suarez so they can remain top 4 its called ambition why aren't we as ambitious and say fuck your 55 million we are prepared to make him stay because we also have the same ambitions. Is the money more important to us than it is too arsenal. They want him we already have him make him stay and next year he won't even be fucking interested in arsenal. Don't be utter shithouses LFC and fuck the money we are not a savings account.

Guest San Don
Maybe Suarez should come out and ask why the club doesn't seem to be making any moves to improve the first team. If he said he wants to stay but not if the club is settling for mediocrity, who would argue?

Arsenal offered 40 million, who have we offered 40 million for?

Maybe the club should ask him why he has 3 fucking long bans, two at the same club in the last 16 months which potentially hindered the club qualifying for the CL??

Guest San Don
Arsenal are prepared to pay a big wedge to buy Suarez so they can remain top 4 its called ambition why aren't we as ambitious and say fuck your 55 million we are prepared to make him stay because we also have the same ambitions. Is the money more important to us than it is too arsenal. They want him we already have him make him stay and next year he won't even be fucking interested in arsenal. Don't be utter shithouses LFC and fuck the money we are not a savings account.

No, its what they can afford bobby, mate. They've hardly spent over the years and have seen some big name players leave for other clubs.

I dont know why the club is getting it here. We've said he's not for sale. A clause has been activated. There's no getting away from that. We are obliged to let him talk.

Before this blew up when he started giving them interviews in Uruguay, some on here were saying sell him if we got offered £40m-£45m. So far we've blocked that but the club is still doing wrong!?

I don't see what the club are doing wrong. I mean, he's never been here because he loved the club, that's for sure, and although other clubs have clung to want away players,they tend to be in a better position than we are now. Four years removed from the Champions League means that we have a weak hand.

As for Suarez himself, I think it's the sleazy way he's engineering this move, not to mention the pathological dishonesty that has informed his time at the club. I defended him at the time, but I think it's fair to say that he's done a good job confirming to all but the most partisan observer that he's not nearly as trustworthy as Patrice Evra.

Maybe the club should ask him why he has 3 fucking long bans, two at the same club in the last 16 months which potentially hindered the club qualifying for the CL??

Come on. If it wasn't for him, we'd be in the bottom half of the table. He rescued us in the EL a couple of times, too, and played a blinder against Anzi the night we went out.

It's not the 'club' against Suarez. If he does stay, are they going to spend money to improve the first team or not?

Every year we buy less successful clubs' best players and more successful clubs buy our best players. Every year it seems to have the capacity to take people by surprise.

Yes, but we could improve the team by spending the £50m on three quality players..."Sorry, what? You don't want to play for the 7th best team in England..."

Selling your best players is always a fantastic idea. Especially if you're not in a position to sign anyone anywhere near as good as them.

Some sense amongst the bull shit.

The club will reinvest any Suarez funds, I have no doubt about it but clearly Suarez has engineered this situation. The club have said from the outset that he wasn't for sale, however if Arsenal pay what we perceive to be his valuation then we will sell. Considering we have an unhappy player, getting anything close to £50M for him is excellent business on our part.

Finding replacements with that cash plus whatever else we have to spend is absolutely vital. We have a month of window left and will have lots of business to do in that time. We wouldn't have had Suarez for that time so having a replacement for him before the start of the season is not really an argument.

The club will reinvest any Suarez funds, I have no doubt about it.

He will be sold to our domestic rivals for the top 4 and the owners will pocket at least half of the money and you will still fabricate bullshit to support their disgusting policy.

I think our fanbase has serious issues as well. Part of our fanbase has lost the plot.

Reinvesting the money isnt enough. Where has the 20m net budget gone? And the 35m tv deal money?

We will continue to stand still or get worse while we sell our best players.

It is not how much we spend it is how well we spend what we have.

He will be sold to our domestic rivals for the top 4 and the owners will pocket at least half of the money and you will still fabricate bullshit to support their disgusting policy.

I think our fanbase has serious issues as well. Part of our fanbase has lost the plot.

Moan, moan, fucking moan.

Give it a rest.