You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Guest Pistonbroke

Probably made up nonsense but...

Reports in Spain suggest Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho is interested in a move to La Liga giants Barcelona.

On Friday Spanish outlet Sport revealed Barcelona have made Coutinho their number one target for next summer.

And this weekend they suggest Coutinho is aware of the Catalan club’s interest, and is keen on a move to the Camp Nou.

Coutinho has been in impressive for so far this season, helping Liverpool to the top of the Premier League and starring with a wonder goal in Brazil’s 3-0 win over Argentina.

Coutinho-Sport.jpg

Barca boss Luis Enrique wants to unite the 24-year-old with international team-mate Neymar, while former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is also among their ranks.

Coutinho has previously insisted he is happy at Anfield, but Barca would be able to offer a significant pay rise.

The former Inter Milan attacking midfielder currently earns around £80,000-a-week, according to the Liverpool Echo, which is much less than the likes of Jordan Henderson, James Milner and Daniel Sturridge.

That Smart Watch looks shit. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm guessing there is no Spanish word for either Smart or Watch.

Iteligente is Smart and Reloj is Watch. Iteligente Reloj, sounds like an Argentinian football team.  Yeah, I googled it, having to learn German was enough for me. 

Coutinho is playing very well, but losing him would not be like losing Suarez or if Gerrard had left in 2005.

Under Klopp we won't be buying superstars. And we don't need that type, so if Coutinho wants to go, he can go. But he's not said anything yet. But if he keeps playing like he is, then he'll definitely go in the summer if we don't get CL football. And I don't begrudge him that if it's for someone like Barca.

But if we get CL footy and look like progressing then I'll be pissed off if yet another important team member departs once we look like we're doing well.

Guest Pistonbroke

I personally think we'd struggle more to replace Firminho and Lallana than Coutinho, despite the fact I think Coutinho is our best player on current form. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Who would you replace him with?

Someone was bound to ask, I'd trust Klopp to replace him without spending a fortune on a ready made big name player. We have a team playing as a team, taking one player out would not have a devastating effect if we brought in a player Klopp sees fit to slip into that role. It wasn't long ago we wouldn't even be looking at Coutinho in this way, he has always had the talent but went missing in a lot of games, inconsistent if you like. 

I could just go all big name player name like many and roll them off, however I'm looking at it from a different angle and who could come in and suit Klopp and the rest of our forward minded players. 

Draxler from Schalke. OK, he could be seen as somewhat of a high profile player already, but he's probably worth about 24 mill on the market which is less than half of what we would get for Coutinho should Barca buy him.

Mertens from Napoli. Could do a decent job IMO, he's 29 so wouldn't be a long term. Probably get him for 10-12 mill.

Volland from Leverkusen. Highly unlikely though as he has just signed for them. 

Now you may laugh at my suggestions as they are nowhere near as good as Coutinho, but do they have to be? Klopp has already shown he can get the best out of players and improve players we thought were struggling. Plenty of other players will be in his mind should we need to replace anyone. That's his job and he is good at it, I'm just a fan who has opinions. 

I could of course just gone down the usual route and rattled off names like Reus.

If we have to sell Coutinho for whatever reason I have faith in Klopp to replace him, and try to do so without spunking OTT prices like United, City et all. 

Guest Pistonbroke

We're doomed.

We are if fans don't think we can replace Coutinho. Players come and go, good managers have that knack of keeping things rolling and bringing in the right replacement. 

That isn't a personal dig at anyone BTW. 

He's contracted to us till 2020.

There is no buy-out clause.

He seems perfectly happy with us at the moment.

If Barcelona want him, then they're going to have to make a world record breaking offer. If Paul Pogba is worth 89 mill, how much is Coutinho worth with 4 years to run on his contract?

Klopp is the star attraction at Liverpool.

So just ignore all the speculation and enjoy every minute he spends playing for our club. He's a special player who is determined to make this season a special one for all of us.

Someone was bound to ask, I'd trust Klopp to replace him without spending a fortune on a ready made big name player. We have a team playing as a team, taking one player out would not have a devastating effect if we brought in a player Klopp sees fit to slip into that role. It wasn't long ago we wouldn't even be looking at Coutinho in this way, he has always had the talent but went missing in a lot of games, inconsistent if you like. 

I could just go all big name player name like many and roll them off, however I'm looking at it from a different angle and who could come in and suit Klopp and the rest of our forward minded players. 

Draxler from Schalke. OK, he could be seen as somewhat of a high profile player already, but he's probably worth about 24 mill on the market which is less than half of what we would get for Coutinho should Barca buy him.

Mertens from Napoli. Could do a decent job IMO, he's 29 so wouldn't be a long term. Probably get him for 10-12 mill.

Volland from Leverkusen. Highly unlikely though as he has just signed for them. 

Now you may laugh at my suggestions as they are nowhere near as good as Coutinho, but do they have to be? Klopp has already shown he can get the best out of players and improve players we thought were struggling. Plenty of other players will be in his mind should we need to replace anyone. That's his job and he is good at it, I'm just a fan who has opinions. 

I could of course just gone down the usual route and rattled off names like Reus.

If we have to sell Coutinho for whatever reason I have faith in Klopp to replace him, and try to do so without spunking OTT prices like United, City et all. 

This isn't something I thought. I thought it was fairly obvious he was an excellent, incredibly frustrated, player in a team with little to no movement ahead of him. Klopp has no doubt improved him, but more than anything else he has simply given him a much better platform to show the ability he already had.

I don't disagree with you that we'd still be a decent side without him, and it's because of my faith in Klopp that I believe that. However, we wouldn't sign a player as good as Coutinho, and for that reason there aren't any circumstances that I'd see him leaving as anything but a bad thing.

Klopp is a great manager, but he isn't re-inventing the wheel. You sell your best players, you don't win very much.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

This isn't something I thought. I thought it was fairly obvious he was an excellent, incredibly frustrated, player in a team with little to no movement ahead of him. Klopp has no doubt improved him, but more than anything else he has simply given him a much better platform to show the ability he already had.

I don't disagree with you that we'd still be a decent side without him, and it's because of my faith in Klopp that I believe that. However, we wouldn't sign a player as good as Coutinho, and for that reason there aren't any circumstances that I'd see him leaving as anything but a bad thing.

Klopp is a great manager, but he isn't re-inventing the wheel. You sell your best players, you don't win very much.

My scenario is just in case we have to sell him, if he wants away there is no point trying to stop it. I still think Klopp would replace him with a decent enough player. He is just part of a very good team atm, it is a totally different scenario to the one we had with Suarez. 

I'd be just as worried about losing Firmino, Lallana and a few others at this present moment in time. 

As long as he wants to stay at LFC we should not give him an excuse to leave, but if it happens I don't think it will kills us, especially the fact he would bring in 50-60+ million. money spent wisely could even benefit the squad. Plus who knows what the future holds for Coutinho, a lot of things can happen as far as a player's career goes. 

My scenario is just in case we have to sell him, if he wants away there is no point trying to stop it. I still think Klopp would replace him with a decent enough player. He is just part of a very good team atm, it is a totally different scenario to the one we had with Suarez. 

I'd be just as worried about losing Firmino, Lallana and a few others at this present moment in time. 

As long as he wants to stay at LFC we should not give him an excuse to leave, but if it happens I don't think it will kills us, especially the fact he would bring in 50-60+ million. money spent wisely could even benefit the squad. Plus who knows what the future holds for Coutinho, a lot of things can happen as far as a player's career goes. 

In which case we rate Coutinho differently.

Guest Pistonbroke

In which case we rate Coutinho differently.

It's good to be different mate, opinions and all that. Firminho is every bit as important in mine, Lallana too if he keeps up the form. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Lallana has had two terrible seasons, i dont think we should be scared of buyers. 

Your point? Pogba is having a shit season as have plenty of top top players, plus we are on about current form. If a club was to be interested in Lallana his price would be high enough. 

Would hate to see him go and reckon he'll stay another couple of seasons. The only positives I can see is that we'll get a massive fee and we'll get to see him with MSN. Unbelievable thought!

Partly negged for the shitty acronym "MSN".

Mainly negged for the fuckwitted notion that there is anything positive to no longer seeing one of our best players at Anfield, but watching him on the telly for someone else instead.

• Upvote 1